Need tire advice

metalic

jk.jpg

07 auto
Supension
Rear: factory 60 springs w/ air bags (we tow a camper)
Front: Rancho 2" springs DIY stubby bumper w/ winch

I like the stance and height for what we do but I screwed up on tire size and it's getting close to needing new.. We don't wheel it much as I have an XJ to beat up.

Currently running 265/70/17 on 9" wheels

Debating 33/12.5/17 or 315/70/17 or 35/12.5/17

I wouldn't mind running bushwacker flats or trimming my factory flares.

I have an JKUX with 4:10's the D30 has been sleeved, C gussets, and Synergy BJ's

I'm willing to regear to 4:88 or 5:13

Please help me choose what would look good and function the way I want.

Must do's
DD
pull a 2200lb dry Travel trailer
moderate wheeling when we take it

Thanks

Last edited:

metalic

I'm looking at duratracs or general grabbers. The size is my biggest question as I don't want to regret my choice again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

I do know a few guys running 35's under Rancho's 2" kit. It's a tighter fit but doable with trimmed flares and possibly more bump stop.

sethccole

I would say 35s WITH REGEAR. A lot of guys I know wish they had gone to them in the first place and not messed with 33s. That being said, with a d30, you'll probably bend the axle still after light use. 4.10 are NOT ok for running 35s with the 3.8.

Last edited:

noroad

I would say 35s. A lot of guys I know wish they had gone to them in the first place and not messed with 33s. That being said, with a d30, you'll probably bend the axle still after light use. 4.10 are ok for running 35s.

This is not true! you will not bend your axle with light use! If it is gussed you should be good to roll, as for tires i like the look of 35s on jeeps. so here is what i would do,

1) 33s with 4.10
2) 35 with 4.88s as you have a auto and plan to tow! (i would say 35s as they run more as a ture 33 well the 315s run closer to a 35 true size)

sethccole

Hmmm, I could have sworn I saw somewhere on the forums that gussets don't help with the axle tube bending where it meets the housing. I could be completely wrong though!

Also, heres a chart with the gearing and tire size info!
jk_ratio-chart-38auto.jpg

Attachments

• jk_ratio-chart-36auto.jpg
    jk_ratio-chart-36auto.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

noroad

Hmmm, I could have sworn I saw somewhere on the forums that gussets don't help with the axle tube bending where it meets the housing. I could be completely wrong though!

Also, heres a chart with the gearing and tire size info!
View attachment 98044

Ok, sure you can bend your tube yes but your comment was (light wheeling or something like that) I wheel the crap out of my 30 on 37s and its not bent yet. also the chart is good in all but is does not factor in things. such as he has a dana 30 in the front!! There for 4.88 would be the max he should go unless he wants to upgrade to a 44 sooner then later!

metalic

This is not true! you will not bend your axle with light use! If it is gussed you should be good to roll, as for tires i like the look of 35s on jeeps. so here is what i would do,

1) 33s with 4.10
2) 35 with 4.88s as you have a auto and plan to tow! (i would say 35s as they run more as a ture 33 well the 315s run closer to a 35 true size)

I like the 35 idea but concerned clearance could be a problem The 265's are 31.5 ish which look small in pic but when I run a tape on it 35's look like they could rub?

metalic

Ok, sure you can bend your tube yes but your comment was (light wheeling or something like that) I wheel the crap out of my 30 on 37s and its not bent yet. also the chart is good in all but is does not factor in things. such as he has a dana 30 in the front!! There for 4.88 would be the max he should go unless he wants to upgrade to a 44 sooner then later!

That was another question
Is 4:88 the lowest you want to go on a 30?

sethccole

I'm not saying he should go higher than the ability to run 35s!
At what point to the gears explode in the 30?

noroad

I like the 35 idea but concerned clearance could be a problem The 265's are 31.5 ish which look small in pic but when I run a tape on it 35's look like they could rub?

That was another question
Is 4:88 the lowest you want to go on a 30?

I run 35s with a small spacer lift on one jeep no problem, add cut fenders and boom tons of room for the 35s. and yes i would not put 5.13s in the 30 unless you plan to upgrade that to a 44!

Last edited:

noroad

I'm not saying he should go higher than the ability to run 35s!
At what point to the gears explode in the 30?

not what point but what time is the correct question! If you wheel hard on a 30 it will blow a R&P. The reason i say go with 4.88s is they are a LITTLE bigger then the 5.13s!

metalic

I run 35s with a small spacer lift on one jeep no problem, add cut fenders and boom tons of room for the 35s. and yes i woul not put 5.13s in the 30 unless you plan to upgrade that to a 44!

No plan on upgrading to 44.

My wife DD and she won't give it up and get a different vehicle as is why I have the XJ on a 30 and when it blows I will slide junkyard tons under it for a strictly play toy.

noroad

No plan on upgrading to 44.

My wife DD and she won't give it up and get a different vehicle as is why I have the XJ on a 30 and when it blows I will slide junkyard tons under it for a strictly play toy.

Nice plan!

Speeddmn

Keep the 30 under your JKUX, do 4.88 gears and trim the fenders. If you plan to tow quite often then do not go with 35's. The added weight, stress on the D30 and the gear size will make gas milage horrid. I have my stock 4.10's in my JKUR and run 295/70/17 Toyos. With a 2" BB and 1" BB in the rear I don't rub enough to make matter actually matter. If you wheel lightly/seldom you will be fine for quite awhile. Here are pics to show you, with trimmed and un trimmed fender. When I was un trimmed, I did rub quite a lot.

Attachments

• jeep5.jpg
    jeep5.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 54
  • jeep4.jpg
    jeep4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 55
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 54

metalic

Keep the 30 under your JKUX, do 4.88 gears and trim the fenders. If you plan to tow quite often then do not go with 35's. The added weight, stress on the D30 and the gear size will make gas milage horrid. I have my stock 4.10's in my JKUR and run 295/70/17 Toyos. With a 2" BB and 1" BB in the rear I don't rub enough to make matter actually matter. If you wheel lightly/seldom you will be fine for quite awhile. Here are pics to show you, with trimmed and un trimmed fender. When I was un trimmed, I did rub quite a lot.

I'm glad you posted this. I was just looking at the toyo 295/70 and 285/75 (34's)

I like the way yours sits.

It will be a DD for a long time and we are selling our popup to get a R-pod. We live in Illinois and want to make trips to KY, TN, MI, WI
My wife is wanting to get up to the Upper Peninsula soon.

We've wheeled it at Badlands in Attica, IN but like previously stated i built my XJ for a toy since we like this and hate to tear it up as we have no plan to ever get rid of it.

After seeing yours I think 33's will be it and if I don't have to regear great but I have that option. With 35's I think regear is mandatory and I'm limited how low I can go. If you have a straight on side shot could you post it.

Thanks
Again

Speeddmn

I'm glad you posted this. I was just looking at the toyo 295/70 and 285/75 (34's)

I like the way yours sits.

It will be a DD for a long time and we are selling our popup to get a R-pod. We live in Illinois and want to make trips to KY, TN, MI, WI
My wife is wanting to get up to the Upper Peninsula soon.

We've wheeled it at Badlands in Attica, IN but like previously stated i built my XJ for a toy since we like this and hate to tear it up as we have no plan to ever get rid of it.

After seeing yours I think 33's will be it and if I don't have to regear great but I have that option. With 35's I think regear is mandatory and I'm limited how low I can go. If you have a straight on side shot could you post it.

Thanks
Again

Here is a side shot, bit of a distance, but i would need to dig through FB and iPhoto to see what else I have.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407884460.681600.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407884460.681600.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom