P0118 code and jeep won't start

eric262

The ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) and MIL lights came on the other day. Noticed the radiator fan was running high when I turned the Jeep off.

2012 JKU Rubicon, about 18k miles.

Checked the code, P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage.

Jeep was running and starting fine with the code and ETC light on.

So I tried to clear the code with my AEV Procal, which did not clear the code. Now the Jeep won't start. I can smell fuel after trying to crank it for a bit.

Any ideas?

eric262

It's not flooded. Wouldn't start this morning either. Looks like I will have to have it towed to dealer.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Not sure if this will help, but try starting it with the gas pedal pressed all the way down, don't pump it. Just all the way down and turn the key. Some vehicles will start. Worth a shot. I have a Chevy cavalier with a bad temp sensor like this and it works. Just to lazy to fix it

eric262

I tried that last night, no go. I'm going to check out the coolant temp sensor after work and see if it's a bad connection.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I tried that last night, no go. I'm going to check out the coolant temp sensor after work and see if it's a bad connection.

That sucks, it sometimes works to get it started. Good luck getting this fixed.

jeeeep

Hooked
disconnect the electric fan and try to start it.
if the fan was running high that's probably where the issue is.
it may be covered by warranty

eric262

Ok disconnected the battery for 20 mins. Jeep started up after that but still P0118 code and ETC and MIL still on. Fan runs at 100%.

Went out for drive and dashboard temp gauge stays at 'C'.

Looks like bad sensor. Called dealer and part number is 5149077ab. $13.98 shipped from quadratec.

Should have part in a few days.

jeeeep

Hooked
good it started and hope that part solves the problem...no feeling like the pucker factor when it won't start :beer:

eric262

Ended up having it towed to a dealer.

IMG_3770.jpg

Turned out the wire in the harness was cut from the steering shaft. Dealer covered it under warranty.

IMG_3774.jpg

They also replaced the coolant temp sensor.

Top Bottom