The "I don't really have a good name and probably never will" build.

Jaydoc1

So I initially wasn't going to do a build thread. For one reason, at this point, my build is pretty vanilla and not too exciting. For another reason it has been pretty slow in terms of viewable modifications. I've been trying to build with a long-term goal of 37s in mind while at the same time knowing that I might not actually end up going that big. One thing that I decided at the start was that if I couldn't build my JKUR right, then I wasn't going to mess with it. I ended up ruining a '93 Sahara I had by throwing a cheap lift on it, some cheap wheels, and some cheap tires. It looked great but rode like an absolute monster. So much so that my wife refused to ride in it anymore and we ended up selling it.

Now, however, I've managed to get a reasonable build going and so decided to do a thread if for no other reason than I'd have a good record of what I've done for myself. Also, since I have actually been getting my family more and more enthused about more serious trails, it's been interesting for me to see how my plans have changed based on trails we have done. I'll never be doing runs like Carnage Canyon or the Rubicon with my JK, but I've been able to learn a lot from the people on here who do trails like that and I've incorporated their experiences into my plans. My plans are much more modest now than they once were but fortunately I started off with mods that would be useful no matter how big I eventually ended up going.

To get started, I had planned on ordering a 2013 to get exactly what we wanted. We had a friend at Faricy Boys in Colorado Springs so drove up to order with him. Sitting right in front of the door when we got there, however, was this:

IMG_0214-L.jpg

Well we loved the color and everything about it except that it didn't have leather. We figured we could live with that so bought it on the spot.

We were determined to do the right thing and drive the stock Rubicon until we figured out exactly what we needed rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff on immediately.

IMG_0254-L.jpg

IMG_0452-L.jpg

We took it to Moab 3 weeks after buying it and did several high mountain passes here in Colorado. Those trips told us the first thing we really needed (and what everyone here knows): Skid plates.

Here comes the EVO ProTek Skid Plate system (I'm lucky to have a good friend with a big, well-equipped home garage):

IMG_1042-L.jpg

IMG_1041-L.jpg

I also added a JE Reel 1350 front drive shaft while we were under there knowing that eventually I'd need one when the actual lifting started.

Adding the skids really gave me a ton more confidence on our next trip to Moab.

IMG_1224-L.jpg

But we did discover that hanging on to strap-type grab handles caused some REALLY annoying squeaking so I installed some Synergy grab handles.

IMG_1435-L.jpg

IMG_1454-L.jpg

That trip also told me that even though I had the ProTek system that I really did need some more clearance.

(cont.)

Last edited:

Jaydoc1

Before tackling the clearance issue, I did add a couple accessories, namely a Spiderweb Shade and Trektop NX. Both of these are absolutely outstanding and I would buy them again and again if necessary.

IMG_1996-L.jpg

IMG_2035-L.jpg

Also I've added four or five new windshields since the initial JK purchase. I was fortunate to get an unlimited replacement insurance policy for a very very reasonable price. It has paid for itself twice already.

IMG_2044-L.jpg

I am very on the fence about what to do suspension-wise. I have gone back and forth between Enforcer and Double D kits so many time I have whiplash, so, in the meantime, I installed a Teraflex 2.5" budget boost.

IMG_3463-L.jpg

I had hoped to wait on wheels and tires for awhile but the "roller skate" look of the JK made me go ahead and get some 17" ATX Cornices and 35X12.5X17" Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Trimmed the pinch seams and rock rails first, of course.

IMG_3531-L.jpg

IMG_3524-L.jpg

Immediately installed the "Mud Mod".

IMG_3598-L.jpg

Did a few more Colorado trails to test things out.

IMG_3650-L.jpg

IMG_4178-L.jpg

Now we're talking. Even just the 2.5" boost and 35s has made driving over obstacles so much more easy that 37s are in my future for sure. On the Alpine Loop trip my wife mentioned that she really wished we had a winch because she likes the way they look. WELL OKAY THEN!

I decided that I was doing the bumper and winch install by myself in my own garage with no assistance (other than the Project JK site install guides, of course).

IMG_4247-L.jpg

Right here is where my wife came out and asked if I was qualified to be doing this to the Jeep. Of course! Don't you see the iPad in the Otterbox next to me? It's like Eddie is right here talking me through this. And asking me to stop cussing so much.

IMG_4253-L.jpg

Jokes aside, the install did take me a bit. And it did require some assistance. My wife's hands are smaller than mine so she could get in those tight spots much more easily. Not that the job was overly difficult, I had just never done something like this completely on my own before. Eddie's write-up made it as easy as it possibly could have been.

IMG_4255-L.jpg

IMG_4258-L.jpg

IMG_4259-L.jpg

IMG_4262-L.jpg

Success! Everything that I am able to do by myself (or with some friendly help) to this Jeep really has taught me valuable lessons. I used to do some minor tinkering with a 325i I used to own but there is no way I would have ever torn the front of my Jeep off like this before.

IMG_4263-L.jpg

Maiden voyage post-bumper/winch install. Headed out for Mosquito Pass. I rented the red Rubicon behind mine for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary so they could come along too.

IMG_4313-L.jpg

IMG_4338-L.jpg

IMG_4349-L.jpg

That's all for now. I have a set of EVO C-gussets that I'm taking the JK up to Trail Jeeps to have welded on in a couple weeks. After that...

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
OK, you started out with a nice lookin' ride and made it way better. Definitely like it so far.:thumb::thumb:

Jaydoc1

OK, you started out with a nice lookin' ride and made it way better. Definitely like it so far.:thumb::thumb:

Thanks! We honestly hadn't considered the Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl color until we walked up to it that day. Best decision ever.

jesse3638

Hooked
That is the color I chose and like you I wanted to do things right the first time and not throw money at it. Good looking rig I too am going with the LoD bumper you chose once things in my life settle down and I can buy jeep parts. I'm partial to the flat fender look so I did chopped mine and so glad I did. If you like that look its something that you can do yourself. No more rubbing and now I should have room for the 37's I'm going to get in the future..:)

bkac

Caught the Bug
Great thread and great looking rig. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

GCM 2

Nice!

Jaydoc, very cool start to your build thread. Great story and photos brother :thumb:

spinuck

Your Jeep looks great so far. I have the same color. I love it when it's clean and shiny, but it sure shows the bush scratches. It's always nice when the wife sees a mod she thinks is a good idea, gotta jump on that opportunity before she changes her mind.

Jaydoc1

One of my partners at work has asked me to stop modding my JK because he doesn't like parking next to it anymore. He said he feels like he's driving a Power Wheel Jeep now. :cheesy:

image.jpg

Jaydoc1

Seriously? My sincere apologies then. Maybe it's how it shows up on my phone but the J and K look different. Again, my apologies.

:beer:

No worries at all and certainly no apologies necessary. :beer:

I bought it and the Rocky Mountain JK stickers when he still was running his old forum.

image.jpg

Added the Wayalife stickers after migrating over here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's a little closer view of the sticker if that shows it better than the other pic.

image.jpg

If I could figure out how to go more than a month without cracking a windshield then I'd have a banner on there. :doh:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Yep, that's a legit sticker. Lol on the windshield. That's what happens when you are driving a brick on mountain roads.

Jaydoc1

beautiful ride! always happy to see a fellow colorado wheeler! :thumb:

Thanks! Love the Gunnison area. Plan on heading over again first thing in the spring and hitting a bunch of the trails there that I haven't checked off my list yet.

Just stayed at The Inn at Tomichi Village a couple weekends ago before doing the Alpine Loop. Highly recommend the duck fat fries at the grill there!:thumb:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom