Is this normal wear??

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409789278.196869.jpg

Was changing my diff fluid and adding ARB covers and noticed a couple chunks missing. The teeth on the ring and pinion are perfect theres just damage on the front. What do you think?

UPDATE!
The dealer replaced my pinion, bearing, and seals under warranty. Apparently this is a fairly common problem with the pinion on 3.73 gears. However, the rear end tech said it is not necessary to replace if there are circular pieces missing on the top of the pinion where the serial numbers usually are. I would still inform the dealer just in case, but it should not affect the Jeep in any way. If there are chunk missing near or on the teeth, definitely have them take a look. The tech even admitted this would not be caused by lift, pinion angle, wheeling, etc so as long as you still have stock gears, you should be able to get this covered!

Last edited:

Zstairlessone

Some gearing can last a while chunked, some not so long. Either way not good, if it failed on the non stressed end what are the engagement areas looking like? It's only a matter of time to failure, plus there is metal in that housing floating around (when off road at angles or at high speed) that can (will) cause more damage. Porous metal in three spots means porous metal all over the piece.

Some gearing can last a while chunked, some not so long. Either way not good, if it failed on the non stressed end what are the engagement areas looking like? It's only a matter of time to failure, plus there is metal in that housing floating around (when off road at angles or at high speed) that can (will) cause more damage. Porous metal in three spots means porous metal all over the piece.

It's strange, I drained all the fluid and found no large chunks. I also rotated it 360 degrees and found no damage on the contact part of the teeth. I haven't wheeled it that hard. :idontknow:

jeeeep

Hooked
View attachment 98626

Was changing my diff fluid and adding ARB covers and noticed a couple chunks missing. The teeth on the ring and pinion are perfect theres just damage on the front. What do you think?

from the photo it looks like bad casting of the part, the one that looks like a complete circle actually looks like it got the same finish as the rest of it. the other tooth looks like a chunk missing but again looks like bad casting as it looks smooth not jagged like a break.

Good that caught it. I'd get it fixed ASAP - sometimes they last but being it's already weak, no telling what type of stress would make it let go.

from the photo it looks like bad casting of the part, the one that looks like a complete circle actually looks like it got the same finish as the rest of it. the other tooth looks like a chunk missing but again looks like bad casting as it looks smooth not jagged like a break.

Good that caught it. I'd get it fixed ASAP - sometimes they last but being it's already weak, no telling what type of stress would make it let go.

That's what I was thinking. I am taking the pics to the dealership tomorrow to see if I can get it replaced under the powertrain warranty. I bet that will be a good time!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I was thinking casting as well. Don't let the dealership give you shit. If that is a casting defect there is no way they can claim modifications caused the problem.

I was thinking casting as well. Don't let the dealership give you shit. If that is a casting defect there is no way they can claim modifications caused the problem.

I am hoping that they don't fight me on it since it is a dealer installed lift and driveshaft. Stock gears.

Top Bottom