Carpet question

hbkid22

Has anyone ever seen carpet glued down on a JK before and if so any idea how to get it off? The guy who had it before me put in after market carpet but glued it down everywhere (even up the side).

Also any sealer/paint combos you like to? I will more than likely have to sand some off and don't want to leave the metal exposed. I will be putting down a bed rug mat after (and not glue it down).

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409792658.434768.jpg

hbkid22

And just in case your wondering. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409793579.924246.jpg

Any help is appreciated! :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409793445.720259.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409793445.720259.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 158

Clem319

That looks like a mess and will be a pain in the ass!

Tools needed:
Goo gone spray
Putty knife
Patience
12 pack and a loud stereo to dull the pain

Good luck. Gas will also work well but you would probably pass out from the fumes after like a foot of doing it.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Can't say I've ever seen that before. :shock: Can you heat the glue with a gun and scrape it?

hbkid22

After I get out the carpet and pad (yes there is a pad under to make it soft) I will try heat. They sprayed the whole inside with glue then put in carpet. Not just around edges, everywhere. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409794843.303365.jpg

Can't say I've ever seen this either.

hbkid22

That looks like a mess and will be a pain in the ass!

Tools needed:
Goo gone spray
Putty knife
Patience
12 pack and a loud stereo to dull the pain

Good luck. Gas will also work well but you would probably pass out from the fumes after like a foot of doing it.

You in Colorado? I'll supply the beer and I'll even get some American honey!!! :)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I might also be inclined to leave a flaming bag of dog shit on the seller's doorstep.

Who the eff does that to a Jeep?!?

hbkid22

I might also be inclined to leave a flaming bag of dog shit on the seller's doorstep.

Who the eff does that to a Jeep?!?

If I knew who did this yes sir. The guy who owned it before was in PA. And I got it from a CO dealership who had no idea about it. But the price and miles where right.

hbkid22

Pls tell me the black part is not mold!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

No it's not mold. Whoever installed this decided to spray adhesive everywhere first then lay the carpet. That is what was stick after I pulled off the carpet and pad. It's ridiculous and on top if all this I get major allergies/irritation when I drive with the top on and windows up. It's bad all around but coming out soon (I hope :) )

jeeeep

Hooked
wow..that's insane. but! it can be removed- once you get off as much as you can you can use a heat gun and scraper on the sides to soften up a section at a time and use boiling water on the floor.

if you have some deep pots it'll keep it from cooling too fast as you pour it in the tub, let it sit until the glue starts to soften (about 10 minutes for common carpet glue) move any electrical out of the way and wear eye & body protection, the hot water may splatter. use a good scraper to remove the glue then you can pull the drain plugs and let the water out.

after all that glue you'll want to prep the tub by some light scuffing, self etching primer then maybe some high heat engine paint or similar. Since you're putting carpet back down it should work out well.

you've got your prep work cut out for you, cheers! :beer:

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
not sure if it would help or not, but 3M makes a very good sticker/adhesive spray remover. I know a lot of guys use dry ice for undercoating on floors but not sure if that would help in this situation.

hbkid22

not sure if it would help or not, but 3M makes a very good sticker/adhesive spray remover. I know a lot of guys use dry ice for undercoating on floors but not sure if that would help in this situation.

Not sure either....I went and picked up a heat gun and some spray adhesive remover and will give that a shot tonight....I still have no clue why someone would do this do. :mad:

Christarp

If I was in your position I'd buy a gallon of acetone and just start pouring it in there and get at it with a scraper and some sort of vapor mask.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Not sure either....I went and picked up a heat gun and some spray adhesive remover and will give that a shot tonight....I still have no clue why someone would do this do. :mad:

Be careful about using them at the same time. (Might want to make certain the adhesive remover is not flammable first so you don't go up in a ball of flames.):hot:

Top Bottom