Is there anything magic about the first 1000 miles

joeyprice

I HATE the way my auto is shifting. It feels like it stutters/slips or can't make up its mind, particularly from 2-3. Its fine when I bump shift it.
I have seen posts that talk about the computer learning my driving habits and that by 1k miles it should smooth out. The problem is every car I have driven
for the past 20+ years has been a manual, and I was still getting used to the Jeep for the first 1k. . Should I try clearing the computer, live with it, or bump shift?

JOe

joeyprice

are you still stock?

Yes. Jeep is still bone stock, but does get slightly heavier when I put my fat ass in it.
I guess I should have posted what it was, instead of making everybody look for it.

2014 JKU, so 3.6 with the WA580

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I HATE the way my auto is shifting. It feels like it stutters/slips or can't make up its mind, particularly from 2-3. Its fine when I bump shift it.
I have seen posts that talk about the computer learning my driving habits and that by 1k miles it should smooth out. The problem is every car I have driven
for the past 20+ years has been a manual, and I was still getting used to the Jeep for the first 1k. . Should I try clearing the computer, live with it, or bump shift?

JOe

it shouldn't be shifting like that. Check the trans fluid level, if it's full then I'd take it in and have the dealer check it.

If they give you the "all new Jeeps do that" ask them to go on a test drive in another Jeep and see it does the same thing.

My auto was smooth from day 1, no learning curve required.

Last edited:

RockyJk

I have the same problem, I've been wanting to take it to the dealership but haven't had time mine has 6k miles on it and does that every now and then

joeyprice

it shouldn't be shifting like that. Check the trans fluid level, if it's full then I'd take it in and have the dealer check it.

If they give you the "all new Jeeps do that" ask them to go on a test drive in another Jeep and see it does the same thing.

My auto was smooth from day 1, no learning curve required.

Well...I got in to take it there and of course even I couldn't reproduce. It seems to happen more when the AC is on and/or at low throttle.
It feels like the thing can't seem to make up its mind. I've seen others with this complaint on other forums, but nobody has even come up with
a cause. Of course I've yet to find anybody that said theirs did it and was a precursor to failure.

Buster3479

Doesn't sound like mine did new (2012 auto). With that said, it seemed like I gained throttle response and fuel economy as I increased mileage until about 8-10K or so miles.

Clark Griswold

I have a 13 with 24k miles on it and I experienced the same thing, it is learning your driving habits and gets better over time but it still does it once in awhile. I wouldn't be worried about it as it seems electronic, it shifts really nice and smooth most of the time. I have 33's on too without using a flash cal either.

Top Bottom