Hard top question

Napalm

Hard top question, I am working on selling on my hard top and have an interested buyer with an '08 JKU.

My question to the masses is, Will a 2014 hard top fit a 2008 unlimited? Or is any modifacation required?

I've searched and searched and searched the interwebz, and couldn't find an answer to this question. Even called the Jeep dealership!

Maybe someone here will have the answer. Thanks!

RockyJk

The footman loop on the windshield is in a different position I believe idk if that would affect the hard top tho

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
The footman loop on the windshield is in a different position I believe idk if that would affect the hard top tho

My 14 hooks to that foots mans loop instead of the other freedom panel like it was in my 09. So essentially the buyer may have a leak in the center because there is no tension keeping the two freedom panels together.

2014 JKUR

Napalm

My 14 hooks to that foots mans loop instead of the other freedom panel like it was in my 09. So essentially the buyer may have a leak in the center because there is no tension keeping the two freedom panels together.

2014 JKUR

Ty is there anything that the buyer can do to prevent this leak? Thanks.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Ty is there anything that the buyer can do to prevent this leak? Thanks.

Well you can lube up the rubber with silicone and that does help a lot. However, it may be that becuase the newer jeeps use that loop instead of the other panel to keep it fully secure, you will get leaks no matter what.

2014 JKUR

Napalm

Well you can lube up the rubber with silicone and that does help a lot. However, it may be that becuase the newer jeeps use that loop instead of the other panel to keep it fully secure, you will get leaks no matter what.

2014 JKUR

Great information thank you!

pvanweelden

Yes- they changed the footman loop location, but previous years did not use the footman loop in the middle for the freedom panels, so the 14 hardtop would leak just as much as an 08 hard top would, if that makes sense :thinking:
my 07 doesn't attach to the footman loop and doesn't leak, but I do put a zip tie from the freedom panel latch to the footman loop to help bring down the wind noise.

Napalm

Yes- they changed the footman loop location, but previous years did not use the footman loop in the middle for the freedom panels, so the 14 hardtop would leak just as much as an 08 hard top would, if that makes sense :thinking:
my 07 doesn't attach to the footman loop and doesn't leak, but I do put a zip tie from the freedom panel latch to the footman loop to help bring down the wind noise.

Thanks for everyone's input!!! I hate to sell it to the buyer and something leak or not work! That's why I am asking!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Thanks for everyone's input!!! I hate to sell it to the buyer and something leak or not work! That's why I am asking!

One other thing that you may have alreay pointed out, is that he probably doesn't have the water and electrical hook up for the rear window. Again for my 09 the dealership quoted me around 400 for the install to get it to work like factory. Needless to say I never got it done and traded it in like that. Lol

2014 JKUR

Christarp

Yes new tops have a latch at the center of the front of the freedom panels that attach to the footman loop there, in previous models (can't remember when the switch was), there was no latch there and the footman loop is located off to the side. However you can relocate the off-center footman loop in older models to the center of the windshield and then it would be just like a newer model if you're comfortable with drilling.

Napalm

One other thing that you may have alreay pointed out, is that he probably doesn't have the water and electrical hook up for the rear window. Again for my 09 the dealership quoted me around 400 for the install to get it to work like factory. Needless to say I never got it done and traded it in like that. Lol

2014 JKUR

He already has the connections.. Will a 2014 work with an 08s connections?

pvanweelden

On my 07 the connector is similar to the rear doors plug, 6 pins with the red slide lock. Only 5 wires tho.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom