Help Please, Parking brake assy pins

Joshmuench

Help please, I did new rotors and pads last week and of course the rotors were seized onto the parking brake pads. While hammering the rotor off with a mallet there are these pins with clips that pulled thru the dust cover. They seem to hold the parking brake into place but it looks like maybe it floats? Anyway I put then back in with a washer on the dust cover side but that didn't hold and it popped out one day while driving. So do I need a whole new dust cover/pin assy? Or has anyone had that problem and have a fix for it? Thanks everyone.

Joshmuench

Hopefully those help. In the last pic you can see the washer I added and the pin just above the bolt for the caliper at the top.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Not exactly sure of your question.

There are several writeups on brake adjustment with lots of pictures...you could probably find out if you're missing a part or have it put back together correctly.

I also know you can buy replacement parts or the whol assembly for the parking brake. For example: http://www.quadratec.com/parts/jeep-wrangler-jk-parking-brake-lever-cable-parts

Good luck!

Edit: I think I see what you're asking now. Maybe a short bolt and washer/nut to hold that piece on?

Last edited:

Joshmuench

Ya I have all the parts now as part source had a whole new kit in stock but the biggest problem is the hole in the dust shield got stretched when hammering off the rotor and the pins pulled thru. Anyone know if I can just pull the dust cover off to try and flatten out the holes or do I gotta pull the hole axel out to get the dust cover off? And I may still put a washer on the one side of the shield even if I am able to flatten out the holes to prevent the pin from pulling thru again.

Emptybrass

The pins look like the brake shoe retainers. It consists on a pin, a washer a spring and another washer. Is that what you have?

Emptybrass

I wouldn't think that you need a new dust cover. If the pins pulled through the cover then maybe use a fender washer to hold it in place behind the cover. If they just slide through. Sorry today's my Friday so I had a few beers when I read your post. my fat fingers can't type on a tiny keypad.

Top Bottom