Parking brake is useless

squigmang

Does anyone else find that after adjusting the park brake, it will work great for a couple weeks then it will no longer hold? I've had 2 TJ's and 2 JK's and the parking brake has always been crap.
Anyone have any tricks to keep it in adjustment? Currently have a 2010 JKU Rubicon.
Thanks!

Does anyone else find that after adjusting the park brake, it will work great for a couple weeks then it will no longer hold? I've had 2 TJ's and 2 JK's and the parking brake has always been crap.
Anyone have any tricks to keep it in adjustment? Currently have a 2010 JKU Rubicon.
Thanks!

My sentiments exactly!

I am tired of adjusting it only to have it work well for a week or so!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
The problem actually is with the brake lever. I had my 2012 replaced under warranty for this exact reason. There is a part on the lever that breaks. I am about to take my jeep back to the dealership to have the handle replaced for a second time since the "new" handle is acting the same way. Take it to your dealer of you can. Otherwise replace the e-brake lever.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Here is a good link I found describing the problem and has some good pics.

*Edited.
Please no links to other forums..

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

Last edited by a moderator:

xkid

Taking mine in to the dealership next week. I want it to work.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

HossRN

Holy Crap!! I thought I was alone. Dealer told me it was mud and sand getting trapped between the backing plate and rotor. They said I'd have to take rotor off after wheeling to clean it out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Holy Crap!! I thought I was alone. Dealer told me it was mud and sand getting trapped between the backing plate and rotor. They said I'd have to take rotor off after wheeling to clean it out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just google this "2012 jk e-brake handle failure" and you will find some good links. It was late last night and I forgot and posted a direct link to another forum.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

I'm not sure this is the whole issue. I have checked my e-brake mechanism twice and it was okay both times. A clean and adjust corrects it (mostly just a clean). It just doesn't last. I have wondered if a different shoe compound would be better for gripping (on what will always be dirty).

For now I just routinely clean and rarely trust it... I always turn my Jeep off and leave it in gear. At least the 3.6L has enough compression to hold it this way. The poor 3.8L guys don't really have this going for them either!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Funny part is the guy who helped me install my lift told me to just get new pads saying that fixed his ebrake issues for good, which I have never done or even adjusted mine since I thought there was no reason. I was actually thinking about just installed a line lock for the back so the brakes actually hold lol, just havnt looked to see how hard that would be yet.

Funny part is the guy who helped me install my lift told me to just get new pads saying that fixed his ebrake issues for good, which I have never done or even adjusted mine since I thought there was no reason. I was actually thinking about just installed a line lock for the back so the brakes actually hold lol, just havnt looked to see how hard that would be yet.

I think line lock would be a total PITA since each brake has it's own line all the way to the ABS unit. (At least more of a pain than turning it off and putting it in gear ;) )

even in gear sometimes the jeep moves :thinking:

Oh my! :eek:

Here is another oddity I have noticed.... If you set the brake and the Jeep moves try to set it again.. I will always get another click (sometimes up to three) without actually applying anymore force to the lever. It's almost like the mechanism isn't properly aligned and there needs to be a rotational load to properly seat the shoes. :thinking:

When I say I turn it off in gear it is in addition to the e-brake being set. :yup:

I think line lock would be a total PITA since each brake has it's own line all the way to the ABS unit. (At least more of a pain than turning it off and putting it in gear ;) )

Not sure if just putting it in gear (manual) with the engine off is enough. Even on a small incline, mine will actually start creeping little by little as if there isn't a sufficient amount of compression to keep the engine from turning. Haven't seen him on in a while but I believe CRAZYCASEY has line locks on his ride.

squigmang

It feels like the cable just stretches, and stretches. when i adjust the e brake and it works for a week, i have to yank the handle up probably one additional click per day until i have it up all the way and it wont hold...
All 4 wrangles I have owned had this same issue.

Not sure if just putting it in gear (manual) with the engine off is enough. Even on a small incline, mine will actually start creeping little by little as if there isn't a sufficient amount of compression to keep the engine from turning. Haven't seen him on in a while but I believe CRAZYCASEY has line locks on his ride.

I know the 3.8L don't have enough compression to hold, but I hadn't seen a 3.6L not hold. Either way, it's a less than ideal "fix" and noted that I shouldn't count on it. :thumb:

Top Bottom