Do you Halon?

Ok, who carries a Halon Fire Extinguisher? I have an ABC, but I have seen what they leave behind and am thinking of buying a Halon. But have you seen the price

Emptybrass

I don't think they use halon anymore. I think back in 94 they stopped the mfg of it. There are ozone safe alternates out there. You can get yourself a co2 one and still have the next to nothing clean up if needed

The co2 or other oxygen displacer gas can cause more problems on class a material. (Wood,paper)

Good to use on class b and c (petrol fuels and electrical)

Now to know the common abc extinguisher. Makes a heck of a mess when discharged but works on most fires.

Never know when you might need which one. Get a gas one and a small abc. So you can pick the right tool for the job.

Jackal01

Halon is not made anymore since (1994, like emptybrass said)) it contained CFCs however Halotron is an alternative that is just as effective. They are expensive but worth the coin since it is a clean agent which won't require clean up. ABCs work on most everything however the powder is corrosive so after use, around electronics or sensitive equipment it is imperative to do a thorough clean up.

As suggested the best route, I believe, would be to have a 5lb ABC and a 5lb Halotron. That would be about a $250 investment but beats having to replace more equipment due to the fire and cleanup. A Halotron extinguisher is on my list of wants.

chris h.

Not sure if it's still available to the public or not, but we use 150lb bottles of Halon 1211 on the flightline.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
As others have said, Halon is no longer produced and is not easy to come by.

Mine has a DJ Safety 10lb coldfire (A,B) on board system, 1 2.5lb Halotron (B,C) on a quick release on passenger seat, and 1 5lb dry chemical (A,B,C) on a quick release mounted to rear roll bar.

You can still find Halon. But I think as stated the ideal option would be to have two. I'll keep my ABC and invest in a Halon or new substitute. Thanks for a the input!

Jackal01

There is no real point in buying a Halon because if you discharge it the recharge fee is expensive or it may not be able to be recharged if the local company doesn't refill them. Halton isn't manufactured however I believe they will still refill and recharge Halon for a premium. Best is to just buy Halontron.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

chris h.

It is also probably worth it to point out that Halon is very dangerous, it puts out fires by removing oxygen from the air.

Emptybrass

It not dangerous. You just need to know what you are dealing with. If I try to it out a paper fire with halon it would likely spread as the gas(halon) moves the combustible material. Like wise is I spray a dry chem near a person they would end up coughing/trouble breathing. Right tool for the right job, makes everything easier.

chris h.

Sorry I wasn't saying Halon is dangerous in capable hands. All I meant is, the chemical itself is dangerous in gaseous form. If it gets in your lungs, you're gonna have a rotten time.

Emptybrass

I know what you where saying. While you are right. As it removing the oxygen in its environment you must get below the lel for it to become dangerous. 19.5% oxygen, all I was staying to must choose the right tool for the job. Halon is a great agent to remove fire. Co2 will do the same at about 1/2 the cost. Everything we do has a risk you/we must know this risk as progress forward. Thank you for the danger part that I left out.

engineman1031

I'm an engineer in the navy and halon isn't the best for your typical car fire. Since on a vehicle most are electrical issues CO2 is best and what we use for electrical fires. Now if you had a fuel fire a solid type extinguisher would be best. Overall for the cost and usability CO2 is best.

2011jk

Halon was the only gas used in cleanrooms and in the electronic industry buildings as it didn't hurt the electronics and allowed people to still breath as their was enough O2 left. Good enough for that usage good enough for my vehicles and shop.

Top Bottom