factory D44 front housing for 100 bucks, worth it?

KingCopperhead

I know someone who is selling a factory D44 housing from a JK for 100 dollars. Just the housing, no internals. Providing the axle isn't trashed is it worth it? I was considering a dynatrac down the road to replace my D30, but for a hundred dollars, I could spend some money on gussets, sleeves, and build the internals the way I want them (like the dynatrac) and save a couple thousand.

StrizzyChris

ONLY if its in perfect shape AND you can ger a great deal on all the internals used. By the time you buy the axle for 100, then get new shafts(about 750), locker(about 1100 and I would do an ARB since your doing it), gussets (75), gears and have them installed you're probably looking at around 2500-3K. While thats not terrible, I'd rather save a little more and get a PR44. It all depends on your uses. If you think you'll wheel hard enough to bend your D30 tubes, then you'll still bend your very weak stock D44 axle tubes and the only real strength you've gained after going though all that work and money is at the R&P only.

Long story short....I wouldnt do it for what little gain you have achieved at the R&P only.

liljohn850

I sort agree with Chris here. My only counter would be, if you can source some used rubi shafts, get a locker (which can go in the pr eventually) and you know, or trust someone who knows how to do gears. You could have a step up from the d30 for possibly very cheap.

hydrohut

You would need to be 100% sure it's not bent already. Just wonder why the housing is empty and for sale?

2013CGJKU

You would need to be 100% sure it's not bent already. Just wonder why the housing is empty and for sale?

Probably because they stuffed their internals in a ProRock44.

I would, like Chris said, just save your money for the PR44.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

RockyJk

That's how much I paid for my rubi 44 housing, got all the stock rubi internals for 600 put gussets and control arm skids now just need to get the gears done if I take to Evo for the gear I'll only be about 1700 into it and I could put all the internals into PR when I bend the housing (hopefully it'll be a while lol) so I don't think it's too bad...

KingCopperhead

That's how much I paid for my rubi 44 housing, got all the stock rubi internals for 600 put gussets and control arm skids now just need to get the gears done if I take to Evo for the gear I'll only be about 1700 into it and I could put all the internals into PR when I bend the housing (hopefully it'll be a while lol) so I don't think it's too bad...

This was what's was thinking I could do. I live on the east coast so high speed wheeling really isn't in my future. If I did go with this axle, I'd sleeve and gusset it. Add lca skids and buy the parts as funds allow. From what the owner told me, the housing came from a 2010 rubi, whose owner sold the internals separately and upgraded his own jeep with a d60.

I don't know. The points brought up here are good ones. The pro rock is definitely a "final answer" and I'll be happy with it. But I'm balls deep in my jeep to do list, and a few grand would get me closer to my other jeep goals so saving a few dollars could be beneficial. I'll think on it for a few more days. If someone else buys it then that'll make my mind up for me lol

Top Bottom