2DR vs 4DR front dive shaft boot

Fragsrus

What is the huge diff between the 2DR vs 4DR front drive shaft that a 2DR boot is <$20 and a 4DR boot is $60-70? I can only seem to find MOPAR boots for the front of my JKUR. Anyone know where I can get a cheaper front axle boot for a JKUR? I am talking about the slip-joint boot, not the CV boot.

Fragsrus

Not sure exactly. I bought it back in February, and by the looks of it I may have been that way when I bought it. torn drive shaft boot.jpg I just happen to be underneath replacing the evap can I busted awhile back when I noticed it.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
If it were me, I'd just keep grease on it and save up for a aftermarket shaft.

Fragsrus

Normally, I would do just that. However, the Jeep is getting ready to drive across country from Seattle to Kansas City and I am just concerned driving that far with it like that. Would greasing it protect it enough for that trip?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Should be fine. I've heard of people removing the front shafts for long trips if no wheeling is planned. I've never done that. But a jeep can be driven without a front shaft.

Fragsrus

I imagine the proper way to do it would be to remove the shaft, separate the two halves, clean it, grease it, put it all back together. However, a family member will be caring for my Jeep while I head overseas for a couple years. Can the grease just be applied to the outside while it's installed? I can't imagine they will be willing to take the time to drop the drive shaft every so often.

jeeeep

Hooked
I imagine the proper way to do it would be to remove the shaft, separate the two halves, clean it, grease it, put it all back together. However, a family member will be caring for my Jeep while I head overseas for a couple years. Can the grease just be applied to the outside while it's installed? I can't imagine they will be willing to take the time to drop the drive shaft every so often.

unless you have a way to seal it back up it'll make a mess as soon as it's driven - grease flying all over and smelling.

if they don't plan to drive it in 4-wheel you can leave it off. I drove over 4000 miles without a front drive shaft, this included freeway miles up to 85mph with no issue, I left the yokes attached as well.

That's only the slip boot. Not a big deal IMO.
If the Cv (Rzeppa) joint at the TC was torn ... Different story. Just slobber some grease around the splines and rock it.

Siebermd

drive without a drive shaft

It can be done without issues. I unfortunately bent the Rear Output Shaft from the transfer case whilst wheeling in the rough stuff. (2002 TJ, X) I was climbing a rocky hill in the Mojave desert when I had the misfortune. It was fine at trail speeds, but once on the road at or above 35mph, terrible vibration! So I removed the rear drive shaft and left it in 4x4.. tah dah! A front wheel drive Wrangler. It was really weird, but it worked. Well as it turns out this was a Great opportunity order a Tom Woods drive shaft and SYE kit. I had to keep it in Front wheel drive mode for a couple weeks until my parts came in.

Matt

60318_1392974430891_366249_n.jpg

Aftermarket shafts don't have slip boots.
It's there to jeep dirt off the splines ... That's it. Keep it clean and it will last a long time. No need to remove the DS.

Fragsrus

Ok, thanks for all the replies everyone. This morning a local buddy of mine offered me his stock drive shaft that he just upgraded for less than the cost of replacing the boot. So, problem solved. Now, while I'm overseas for the next 2 years its time to save for upgrades! :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Christarp

I've been driving without my slip shaft boot for about a year and a half now so far no issues. The CV joint boot on the other hand is nearing the end of its life...

Top Bottom