Clayton's engine skid & stock cross member ?s

Grandos

Hey all, as the title says I have a quick ? To ask. I was looking into some Clayton's gear and liked the engine skid plate offered since its 1/4 inch and priced less than ones I've seen at 3/16 inch..it says only works with their cross member but I was wondering if anyone modified a stock one to make it work.
Thanks for any advice.

2014 Public Relations officer - Dion C [o|||||||o]

jeeeep

Hooked
I talked to Clayton about this at EJS and after looking at how their HD cross member is constructed versus the stock unit, drilling the holes and getting the fasteners in your stock cross member to be strong enough to hold up the abuse would be time consuming and require some welding for extra support/strength - unless you have welding skills then you could probably make it work

CrazyLarry

I gotta say there stuff looks impressive especially for the price. I may just have to pick up both the engine skid and crossmember

Armydog

I went to the clayton shop and saw first hand just how diesel there components are. They are not messing around, stuff looks bullet-proof! I plan on a long arm kit with the full skid package. Not cheap, but like I said the stuff is solid. I have not run it yet, too poor at the moment but this is the route I'm going for my Pumpkin build - TJRubicon

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

JRoc

I just checked out their website. That looks like some high grade shit. Any one have first hand experience with Clayton? I may consider this versus the EVO ENFORCER...I'll keep my ear to the ground.....:D

Grandos

Thanks for the replys fellas. Im going to check out the cross member and possibly upgrade that so i can run that skid plate...eventually. Still researching and making a plan. I've seen their stuff on the grand Cherokees and it IS stout gear and they have a very good reputation. I just ordered their lower control arm mounts and was checking out the other Jk stuff when I noticed this skid plate and it kicked up my interest.

jeeeep

Hooked
I just checked out their website. That looks like some high grade shit. Any one have first hand experience with Clayton? I may consider this versus the EVO ENFORCER...I'll keep my ear to the ground.....:D

I've got their 3.5" short arm full lift over 80k miles and it's great. took a hit from another car to the front axle recently and while the axle and stock parts got junked the clayton arms were not damaged at all - also have the clayton front adjustable track bar that did not get damaged.

When I ordered my lift, I got the heavier springs in anticipation of bumpers, winch, 37's etc... but haven't added everything on yet so the ride is good but a little stiff - everyone that's driven my jeep thinks the ride is better than stock. I have driven Jeeps with the Enforcer springs and have toyed with the idea of swapping springs since they offer what I feel is a slightly softer daily driver ride. When I'm on the road and loaded down the ride is more like the enforcer spring ride. I have the Bilstein 5100 shocks which I think are getting to their end of life after 80k miles of on and off-road use so this may also be why the ride feels a little harder.

Handling is great, corners etc...I have had it up to 95mph and it tracked solid and straight.

I'm also looking at upgrading to their long arm and cross member and I like their skid plates after seeing it all working together at EJS. I was concerned about the long arm design but for the type of wheeling I do it'll be fine.

JRoc

I've got their 3.5" short arm full lift over 80k miles and it's great. took a hit from another car to the front axle recently and while the axle and stock parts got junked the clayton arms were not damaged at all - also have the clayton front adjustable track bar that did not get damaged.

When I ordered my lift, I got the heavier springs in anticipation of bumpers, winch, 37's etc... but haven't added everything on yet so the ride is good but a little stiff - everyone that's driven my jeep thinks the ride is better than stock. I have driven Jeeps with the Enforcer springs and have toyed with the idea of swapping springs since they offer what I feel is a slightly softer daily driver ride. When I'm on the road and loaded down the ride is more like the enforcer spring ride. I have the Bilstein 5100 shocks which I think are getting to their end of life after 80k miles of on and off-road use so this may also be why the ride feels a little harder.

Handling is great, corners etc...I have had it up to 95mph and it tracked solid and straight.

I'm also looking at upgrading to their long arm and cross member and I like their skid plates after seeing it all working together at EJS. I was concerned about the long arm design but for the type of wheeling I do it'll be fine.

Thank you for the detailed info. I'm going to continue to look into this. I'm really liking what I see so far.

Shiny side up!:rock:

CedarRaider

I run the 3.5 entry level kit and love it. Went with the Bilstein 5100 shocks. Went on pretty easy with exception of the rear track bar bracket, that took me a minute to get right. The only wheeling I've done with it yet is on the dunes and it was very smooth. Glad I went this route.

jk12blk

Hey all, as the title says I have a quick ? To ask. I was looking into some Clayton's gear and liked the engine skid plate offered since its 1/4 inch and priced less than ones I've seen at 3/16 inch..it says only works with their cross member but I was wondering if anyone modified a stock one to make it work.
Thanks for any advice.

I have a buddy running their setup. All suspension, cross member and skid. He hammers his jeep too and its held up very well.

Top Bottom