Bumpers

joeyprice

One thing I really dislike about my JK are the HUGE bumpers, not just factory, but aftermarket as well. Is the only way to get a relatively small bumper to cut the frame rails? I am hesitant to do this because, while its unlikely, what would I do if I wanted to go back to stock?
Oh, and does anybody make bumpers/rockers without laser cutting their logo into the part?

Joe

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I have the Teraflex aluminum rock sliders and they don't, they do have their name lightly etched and it is barely noticeable. I'll try to get a decent picture.

gleno99

One thing I really dislike about my JK are the HUGE bumpers, not just factory, but aftermarket as well. Is the only way to get a relatively small bumper to cut the frame rails? I am hesitant to do this because, while its unlikely, what would I do if I wanted to go back to stock?
Oh, and does anybody make bumpers/rockers without laser cutting their logo into the part?

Joe

I have a body armor that is about as wide as the jeep and doesn't stick out as much as stock. It also uses the stock hitch. The tire carrier say up to 40" tire. I have 37's and it's solid. You might take a look.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12029_4120_07.htm

Edit: 4 wheel parts have bumper and carrier delivered less than $700. They don't have the name laser cut in them. Make sure you look at pn 2395 and 5295.

Last edited:

joeyprice

Maybe if I saw one in person with the bumper off it would make more sense. What is under there that necessitates that built in skid that people put on? The part in red.

lodbumper.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Maybe if I saw one in person with the bumper off it would make more sense. What is under there that necessitates that built in skid that people put on? The part in red.

View attachment 99081

The crash bar. I would just cut it off, flip the sway bar motor if it's a Rubicon and gain ground clearance. But that's me. Some people won't cut.

JKbrick

You can't get much smaller or a better bumper than a 1/4 pounder from EVO. And just take the back one clear off, personally I like that look best

JAGS

Hooked
EVO and LoD are really your two best options for front bumpers for quality and US made. LoD has several models. I chose its LoD Armor lite stubby with stinger and have no regrets.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410108524.835747.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410108705.706771.jpg

sean.m.adams33

Unless you do the PSC BFH bumper like brankzie most bumpers are big. I ran the PSC brawler and now the evo 1/4 pounder. I will tell you I think the evo is a lot cleaner IMO. Some have used their stock bumper, turned it into a stubby and added a winch. This could be an option for you.

thardy

Banned
The Pure Jeep Bare Bones bumper is nice and fairly cheap for what you get.

Sent from the Wayalife mobile app

joeyprice

For me its not a question of what is priced right or what is good, at least not here in this thread. Its just that they look so big and clunky. Maybe I'll get used to them. I've been looking at JKs for long enough, but you look at them much differently when its yours. I guess the way the JK is designed prohibits the kind of thing I'm looking for. The closest I've come to what I have in mind is Savvy LHT bumpers, but hacking off 2-3" of my frame rails is a pretty serious deterrent.

David1tontj

Joe

My bumpers don't have logos. 😁 ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410136609.202640.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410136643.258738.jpg

Maybe that's just because I don't have my own logo 😔

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
My front is a doing is a stubby with a small w on side for Warn, and running Evo shackles in the rear. EVO on side just adds to it. It's a trend with manufacturers. You would be hard to find any not doing it. Besides, quality is more higher on my list.
ForumRunner_20131007_110918.jpg IMG_20131031_104048.jpg

David1tontj

Sick rig! Like the custom bumpers :thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

The best part about custom is that you get exactly what you want. I built the rear bumper to be my air tank- it holds 3.5 gallons of air and is hooked straight into my OBA system. And it doesn't take up any extra space! It also houses the rear winch nicely.

Try to find a bolt on bumper that does that!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

bkac

Caught the Bug
The best part about custom is that you get exactly what you want. I built the rear bumper to be my air tank- it holds 3.5 gallons of air and is hooked straight into my OBA system. And it doesn't take up any extra space! It also houses the rear winch nicely.

Can't wait to see it!

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

joeyprice

Maybe I'll start looking around for a guy with fab skills and buy him a few beers. Whatever I get I'll have to Bondo in the logo before I paint it. I really hate looking like a rolling advert. The Evo shackles aren't terribly offensive, but giant logos cut into bumpers and rockers bug me. I don't even like the Jeep logo on the front; if you can't tell what it is from the 7 slots...

***edit*** have you seen those bumpers with the bear claw swipe pattern cut into them? Terrible

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Probably cant find a bolt on bumper... but maybe a good friend to build one for me. ;)

Sent from a galaxy far far away.

Top Bottom