Warranty after off road.

KingCopperhead

We all know how auto manufacturers love to get out of doing warranty work.

Well here's my situation:
A week or so after I bought my JK I had noticed a really annoying rattle at idle. It isn't loud but it's noticeable. At first I thought it was a heat shield, so I took it to the dealership and as usual, they couldn't repeat the problem. I made sure that they noted the noise in their records, and went on my way. That was my first mistake. Since then I've gone off roading, and while my undercarriage isn't destroyed, you can definitely tell that I've been wheeling. (scrapes, beat up cross member.)

Fast forward to last night... Driving through the bank atm at 2am. Dead quiet outside. The rattle starts up again while the jeep is in neutral (6sp manual) I press in the clutch and the rattle goes away. It's a subtle rattle to begin with, but the disappearance of it by depressing the clutch spooks me. I'm thinking it's an input shaft or throw out bearing issue. Or maybe I'm paranoid. I've checked my heat shields, and exhaust. Everything is as it should be.

Now my question: will most dealerships see evidence of trail usage and flat-out deny my coverage? Should I replace my cross member and throw some spray paint on my skids before I go back in? This is a 2014 jk with under 4k miles on it. I noted the problem with the dealership at about 1500 miles. I had it off road once. I didn't abuse the clutch, and it was never in deep water. What would you guys do If you were in my shoes?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Well the problem you have is fairly common with the manuals. I had it in my 09 and I’m waiting for it to happen with my 14. As far as the dealership goes, I’ve never heard of or read about a dealership denying warranty if the Jeep has been off road. Modifications are a different story and it depends on the dealership.

KingCopperhead

Well the problem you have is fairly common with the manuals. I had it in my 09 and I’m waiting for it to happen with my 14. As far as the dealership goes, I’ve never heard of or read about a dealership denying warranty if the Jeep has been off road. Modifications are a different story and it depends on the dealership.

Was the problem on your 09 resolved?
I've read that this is common, and to be honest if it doesn't hinder the function or longevity of my transmission I can live with it. It's a jeep not a BMW. Noises are part of the deal. Just want to make sure it doesn't become a bigger problem down the road.

As far as mods. The dealer installed my lift, I've already had it in for other work and they've held to their word so far about not voiding my coverage. (they installed the lift before I bought the jeep.) As for other mods, nothing power train related. (bumpers, c gussets, heavy duty front lca brackets and skids, rear lca skids. Winch.)

I don't see why they point blank deny coverage either, but I've read a few horror stories online but not on wayalife, I trust the knowledge base here a bit more than some of the other forums.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Was the problem on your 09 resolved?
I've read that this is common, and to be honest if it doesn't hinder the function or longevity of my transmission I can live with it. It's a jeep not a BMW. Noises are part of the deal. Just want to make sure it doesn't become a bigger problem down the road.

As far as mods. The dealer installed my lift, I've already had it in for other work and they've held to their word so far about not voiding my coverage. (they installed the lift before I bought the jeep.) As for other mods, nothing power train related. (bumpers, c gussets, heavy duty front lca brackets and skids, rear lca skids. Winch.)

I don't see why they point blank deny coverage either, but I've read a few horror stories online but not on wayalife, I trust the knowledge base here a bit more than some of the other forums.

The issue on my 09 was never resolved. I traded it in that way, and when I traded it in it did it at idle/netural all the time. I first noticed it after the first time I took it offroad/mudding about two months after ownership. I owned it for just over two years before I traded it (Jan 12 - May 14)

I can't imagine your dealership would make a fuss about taking your Jeep offroad... but at the same time I can see a dick at the dealership claiming that your off roading caused the problem. :grayno:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I should say that my friend noticed it, I did not untill he pointed it out.

mattfl

Sounds like your throwout bearing. I had the same problem in my 12 and got it replaced under warranty.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't think it would be an issue. I had a driveshaft replaced in my 2 door last year under warranty in addition to 2 water pumps. My 14' 4 door has already had the drive shaft and right front axle shaft replaced. My dealership told me off roading wasn't an issue and that is what Jeeps are for. Replaced all under warranty and even provided me with a rental after this last axle shaft issue. I would guess it would depend largely on the dealership though.

Top Bottom