disconnecting sway bar on stock jk

Wethy

hey all i will be going out with a groups of jeepers near the end of the month to do some trail riding around here. they know i have a stock JK so itll be the milder of the trails, however i do have one question. ps 2dr Sport also ftr

if i disconnect the sway bar do any of you fine people know how much more articulation is achieved, and will i run the risk of unseating the coil on the bottom if i do disconnect? or will it be held in place and remain seated because of the stock shock length?

any and all help would be useful so i dont do something stupid!

Cheers!:beer:

07JKSahara

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410214771.836387.jpg

The silver one facing us is stock with sway bar disco'd. Full disclosure though, my passenger rear was about 4 inches off the ground. Coils won't unseat, should be fine.

Wethy

Yeah ive flexed mine out conected I was just worried about disco'ing because I know sometimes with a lift the coils can unseat in the right circumstances (ie too long of shock travel. I just wanted to make surei was covering my bases before I did something ill regret lol and having to figure out a trail fix ha ha

Sent from my SGH-I337M using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1410219370275.jpg
    1410219370275.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 1410219402875.jpg
    1410219402875.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 131

RockyJk

This is what mine looks disco'd still stock, no need to worry about your coils unseating with stock shocks
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410219942.171085.jpg

On my old 2 door I ran shocks that were a tad bit too long for my budget boost and even than my coils didn't unseat lol
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410220054.557960.jpg

seanb123

Yeah ive flexed mine out conected I was just worried about disco'ing because I know sometimes with a lift the coils can unseat in the right circumstances (ie too long of shock travel. I just wanted to make surei was covering my bases before I did something ill regret lol and having to figure out a trail fix ha ha

Sent from my SGH-I337M using WAYALIFE mobile app

An unseated coils not to hard of a trail fix I've done it with a high lift in about 10 minutes good as new

Wethy

Rubi is equipped with a e-disco stock ... Just saying.

ha ha well..... being 23 and buying brand new...... a rubi is a little out of my price range... plus. it just means i get to have more fun building it up ;) also... even if i had a rubi id probly ditch the E-disco and go evo no limits. lol i like mechanical things more than electronics less things to go wrong :p plus..... this way it gets built for all that i need. plus all i cared about at the dealership was manual trailer hitch and 3.73s also i dont mind getting down and dirty.

Last edited:
ha ha well..... being 23 and buying brand new...... a rubi is a little out of my price range... plus. it just means i get to have more fun building it up ;) also... even if i had a rubi id probly ditch the E-disco and go evo no limits. lol i like mechanical things more than electronics less things to go wrong :p plus..... this way it gets built for all that i need. plus all i cared about at the dealership was manual trailer hitch and 3.73s also i dont mind getting down and dirty.

No no ... Just a point. The suspension on a Rubi is no different then on a sport
Longer shocks .. That's it.

For $10 or so you can make your stock links into discos. I have a pic I think ..

ha ha i appreciate the pic. and dont think i took offense to that comment. i definitely chuckled when i read it. i was merely stating why i didnt buy a rubi thats all. and whats entailed in those, some washers? and coder pins?

JK-1: Replace this bolt (18mm) with a Grade 8, 1/2in diameter 3in length Clevis Pin, a couple of 1/2in Grade 8 Washers, and a Cotter pin. (There are multiple ways to accomplish this, this is the way I chose, get creative and use what you can find. Just make sure that it's safe.)

JK-2: To disconnect remove clevis pin and rotate the sway bar link so that it rests directly on top or under the sway bar and secure it to the sway bar with a zip strip or something. I actually like to use electrical tape for this purpose.

Wethy

JK-1: Replace this bolt (18mm) with a Grade 8, 1/2in diameter 3in length Clevis Pin, a couple of 1/2in Grade 8 Washers, and a Cotter pin. (There are multiple ways to accomplish this, this is the way I chose, get creative and use what you can find. Just make sure that it's safe.)

JK-2: To disconnect remove clevis pin and rotate the sway bar link so that it rests directly on top or under the sway bar and secure it to the sway bar with a zip strip or something. I actually like to use electrical tape for this purpose.

hmm not a bad idea may disco once or twice and see what happens. maybe ill rig something like that up till i get a lift and a real disco lol

Top Bottom