Squeaking after a couple trail days....why?

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
I'm getting a lot of squeaking and what sounds like suspension creaking from my jeep. I have a 2.5" budget boost and stock shocks. I've taken it on a couple trails, maybe 10-12hrs of wheeling, and now the noises are coming. I think it's only my driver front that is making the noise but not 100% sure. I hear it pop, sort of, when I hit the gas off the line at a stop light. It's not every time, or every bump in the road, just some. It almost sounds like the coil is settling in, but I've checked and it is locked into place. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

jeeeep

Hooked
look for stuck rocks in the brakes or brake dust shields. also make sure everything is tight - use a torque wrench to the proper torques.

check your shocks for any loose bolts. Did you disengage your sway bar? is it back it position properly?

Bierpower

Hooked
I would also recommend checking the torque on your control arms. I've seen this cause squeaks and clunks when not torqued properly.

Petzl88

Pops

Check the torque on your sway bar link nuts too. The nuts on mine started popping after a few runs after I put my lift in. The bolts were just loose.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
It's been mentioned already but check the torque on all your suspension components. Be sure to check the torque on the nut side of the upper front track bar. Also your rear track bar. These have a way of working themselves loose.

Also what CAs are you running? Maybe shoot some grease in your zerks if you have them.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
look for stuck rocks in the brakes or brake dust shields. also make sure everything is tight - use a torque wrench to the proper torques.

check your shocks for any loose bolts. Did you disengage your sway bar? is it back it position properly?

Thanks for the help! Brake area is clear, I'll re torque tonight. I didn't disconnect sway bar, I wasn't sure if I could with the BB or if it would bind the front driveshaft. Position looks good and no damage or bend in end link

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
It's been mentioned already but check the torque on all your suspension components. Be sure to check the torque on the nut side of the upper front track bar. Also your rear track bar. These have a way of working themselves loose.

Also what CAs are you running? Maybe shoot some grease in your zerks if you have them.

Thanks Frank! Will do on the items above, Trac bar could be it, would make sense, thanks so much!

Running stock CAs but some grease never hurts!

BTW I'm JPSTEGER on Instagram 😄👍👊

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Thanks Frank! Will do on the items above, Trac bar could be it, would make sense, thanks so much!

Running stock CAs but some grease never hurts!

BTW I'm JPSTEGER on Instagram 😄👍👊

Not a problem. I just thought of something also. Check your sway bar arm on the driver's side. There is a cutoff "pipe" that comes out of your frame, check to see if there is any missing paint there. I know I noticed some squeaking a few months after my lift and turned out the sway bar arm was contacting the frame metal on metal. I just took a grinder and clearanced the frame. I'll try and grab a photo later.

Just another thing to check off the list and doesn't involve too much effort.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Not a problem. I just thought of something also. Check your sway bar arm on the driver's side. There is a cutoff "pipe" that comes out of your frame, check to see if there is any missing paint there. I know I noticed some squeaking a few months after my lift and turned out the sway bar arm was contacting the frame metal on metal. I just took a grinder and clearanced the frame. I'll try and grab a photo later.

Just another thing to check off the list and doesn't involve too much effort.

Ah good point, I'll check that too, thanks Frank! ✌️

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the help guys, turns out it was both the front trac bar and the upper CAs that had worked themselves loose. Got it all tightened down and ready for another trip up to Big Bear this weekend!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Thanks for the help guys, turns out it was both the front trac bar and the upper CAs that had worked themselves loose. Got it all tightened down and ready for another trip up to Big Bear this weekend!

Glad you finally trac'ed it down.... See what I did there?

Top Bottom