Loose steering wheel

Jackal01

So after my budget boost went on a couple months ago I have noticed that the steering wheels is loose at times. I did an alignment per the write up and at times the alignment is correct. However, other random times/speeds/etc I have to maintain going straight by turning the wheels to the left slightly. Then it just returns to normal without really noticing. The problem is so slight that I barely notice that I am not holding the steering wheel straight. I read a few threads relating to loose steering wheels but have not found a definitive answer on what may be the cause. I know there are a bunch of components that could cause it however I am not sure where to start or what would be a likely cause.

JKbrick

Is it always left when it does it? Could be some roads have more "crown" in them than others

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Is it always left when it does it? Could be some roads have more "crown" in them than others

this^^ i know mine is always slightly to the left just based off of roads. sometimes it right lol. i found a almost perfectly flat parking lot to do my alignment so i know my wheel sits straight and jeep drives straight its just the roads throwing me off.

Jackal01

I thought about the road being the culprit but I ruled it just from thinking how truly random it is. There are a few roads that I drive that are excellent to drive on and the alignment/steering wheel issue will occur on and off on that one part of the road. If it was the entire duration of a straight away or something then I would suspect it more.

I have not taken any measurements of anything. I also need to make a correction. An alignment was not done after the lift since after a couple test drives immediately after the BB it was driving well/like factory (this loose steering wheel had not surfaced) but I did recenter the steering wheel right after the BB. Weeks went by without problem and just started out of nowhere, seemingly. The knuckle is tight and a visual inspection of the front doesn't yield any issues. I now wonder after I typed this up if it just needs an alignment but if one was needed wouldn't the steering constantly be off and not random and doesn't do it for a day or two then start back up?

Jackal01

Sounds like a caster issue to me.
A set of LCA's or Rancho drop brackets will fix you right up.

I am under the impression that just a 2.5" budget boost (longer shocks included) should not require those components. I could be wrong but from what I have read I thought I didn't. It would also further lead me to believe I do not since the loose steering did not occur immediately.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I am under the impression that just a 2.5" budget boost (longer shocks included) should not require those components. I could be wrong but from what I have read I thought I didn't. It would also further lead me to believe I do not since the loose steering did not occur immediately.

here is the first video that popped up on youtube that explains caster. anytime you raise or lower a vehicle, you change your caster. you need adjustable lower arms to correct this. on your alignment sheet, it is also called return to center sometimes.

Jackal01

I think I am still confused on the statement that adjustable control arms are needed for what I am running. :thinking: I mean if I need them I will get them (I won't argue what I need. I am just questioning as to get more explanation since I am confused) but again, like I said above, I was under the impression they were not required with a 2.5" BB. I read a few threads searching online regarding CAs and 2.5" lifts. Some say yes and some say no. I guess I need them since I do have a problem. I just wish it was more substantial across the board.

Any reason why the "loose steering" wouldn't be constant while driving? Also, is there an actual term for this?

So just front LCAs, correct? No others needed until I increase to 4"? Then all need to be upgraded?

Edit: and thanks for the video. It helped out.

I think I am still confused on the statement that adjustable control arms are needed for what I am running. :thinking: I mean if I need them I will get them (I won't argue what I need. I am just questioning as to get more explanation since I am confused) but again, like I said above, I was under the impression they were not required with a 2.5" BB. I read a few threads searching online regarding CAs and 2.5" lifts. Some say yes and some say no. I guess I need them since I do have a problem. I just wish it was more substantial across the board.

Any reason why the "loose steering" wouldn't be constant while driving? Also, is there an actual term for this?

So just front LCAs, correct? No others needed until I increase to 4"? Then all need to be upgraded?

Caster and front pinion are tied together.
One goes up the other goes down.
Factory is set +2* pinion and 4* caster (+/- 1*)

As said .. As you lift pinion increases as caster decreases. You may have been on the lower end of the caster spec stock.

Alignment will tell you caster angle. I like to grab a measurement off the pinion flange.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

front lower arms are nice to have but not always needed with a 2.5" bb. i would say you should get the front lower arms as it is s good investment and you will need them anyway when you decide to go higher in the future.

Jackal01

front lower arms are nice to have but not always needed with a 2.5" bb. i would say you should get the front lower arms as it is s good investment and you will need them anyway when you decide to go higher in the future.

Sounds good. I was hoping to wait since they come with the Enforcer but I will just order the adjustable Currie's since I am ordering the other 3 sets when I do the lift.

Jackal01

Did you increase in tire size ?
Wider tires will follow the road more. W/ low caster, the issue is magnified.

315/70/17 Duratracs with factory Moabs and 1.5" Spidertrax. I guess it just took a while for the problem to show up for some reason because it took about a month for my steering to exhibit this.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sounds good. I was hoping to wait since they come with the Enforcer but I will just order the adjustable Currie's since I am ordering the other 3 sets when I do the lift.

well i fyou plan on getting the enforcer i would say just wait. i ran my 2.5 lift on stock arms for a long time and had no issues. i would also suggest to double check your trackbar torque settings and all torque settings. i could feel mine was loose when i was driving. found out the hole was ovaled out so had my welder weld a washer back on to recenter the hole which helped.

Jackal01

Nice ... Good choice !!

I think so, too. :yup:

I will say, this budget boost has made me spend more than what I wanted. I was hoping to get by with the bare minimum but not looking like it now. LCAs will be used later which is good. But I bought some junk Pro Comp ES9000 shocks this weekend and man they ride like crap. I didn't want to spend much since they will be coming off for phase 2. R2 just rides bad. I only chose them since they were the cheapest, longer shocks I could find locally. Got tired of going over bumps and the ass-end bouncing.

*sigh*...can't wait to get my 4" Enforcer with King 2.5s. :rock:

Jackal01

well i fyou plan on getting the enforcer i would say just wait. i ran my 2.5 lift on stock arms for a long time and had no issues. i would also suggest to double check your trackbar torque settings and all torque settings. i could feel mine was loose when i was driving. found out the hole was ovaled out so had my welder weld a washer back on to recenter the hole which helped.

I guess it won't hurt either way. I mean...the money will be spent. I guess I should ask ORE if they will sell me the Enforcer without the LCAs. It doesn't matter to me if I get theirs or the Curries. Deciding factor is if I want to deal with the steering for the next 12-18 months.

I'll re-check everything.

Top Bottom