After Mudding Care and Questions

Rryanstauffer

I don't know if yall have heard but Arizona just was pummeled with crazy amounts of rain for Arizona. We do not get a lot of rain so this was a rare treat and I could not wait to get it offroad to splash around in the mud. So my jeep is pretty well stock besides a few of the cheaper and DIY mods. I was having a blast in the mud but I noticed that once I was finished and pulled out, :brows: I could hear a high pitched almost like a whistling sound upon acceleration. The sound is hard to describe but I definitely noticed the change right after driving through a lot of mud and water. I never went to deep but while I was going pretty hard out there my check engine light flashed like three times and didn't come back on but it scared me and ending my day early....

Any insight would be appreciated, also some insight on how to go about cleaning my engine bay because it is coated under there....
I'm not a mechanic but am pretty handy so I just need some guidance!

Thanks

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Is your Jeep automatic or standard? If it is a standard, did you depress the clutch at all while in the mud/water? Also, were you blasting through the water? Did you get water into the air box?

Rryanstauffer

It is automatic and sorry yes I was blasting through the water and it is possible that some water got into the air box

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would power wash the shit out of your underbelly and your brakes. I always need up finding rocks and mud caked all around the brake calipers.

firecrew1

got to love all our new lakes;)
like they said I would thoroughly wash the jeep, and check the airbox for water

jeeeep

Hooked
check your axle breather lines, make sure they are still connected to the axles. if they are no longer connected, you may have had some water get in - pull the fill plug and slide a zip tie in as a dipstick, if it comes out milky or foamy you have water in your differentials. to remedy this, do a diff oil change.

Check your oil - if water got in through the air cleaner the oil will be milky - drain and replace oil and filter.

To wash out your engine compartment, do not use high pressure - too many things you can blow apart with high pressure. spray it with simple green and wash with mild pressure - watch the oil fill cap and dipsticks. Water pressure can sometimes lift a dipstick and you'll end up forcing water in them

bnatt78

My experience with mud is where you can see be sure to check everything out and make sure that you did not break anything else and clean every where you can think of. It has been over a year since I was in the mud and I am still finding dirt in weird places.

Sent from my SM-N900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom