Rattle driving me nuts....need some help!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ok guys, I have a rattle coming from what sounds like the rear doors on my 14 JKU, and I can't for the life of me trace them to a source. It sounds like something is loose inside the doors. I wanted to know if you guys could tell me what these 3 "bolts" are for, and there is one hex head inside the hole on the bottom right, what does that do?

579C5EB6-9DED-421C-8D7C-8EAF6771D86C_zpsqnutiohb.jpg

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

pvanweelden

The 3 bolts hold the latch mechanism in place in the door, and the hex bolt is I believe the child proof lock override.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Beyrgut

Does the sound go away if you remove the doors, serious question? If so put them on one at time to determine which one, unless you already know the culprit door. :thumb: Once the door is narrowed down pop the panel and see if there is any debris inside.

If you still got a the rattles with the doors removed, it at least takes them out of the equation :brows:

Buster3479

Pvanweeldan has it right. The 3 latch bolts have a torque spec of 71 in-lb, but I sincerely doubt that's what is rattling. On my 12', I'd just pop the door panel and root around, but on a 14', I'd take it to the dealer and get some use out of that warranty.

Moochie

You can try the electrical tape fix to see if the rattle goes away. About 4 wraps around the latch might do it. All 4 of my doors have this done. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410402321.508560.jpg

Mr. Rubi1

Tape it, my 2010 did it also, wrapped the electrical tape on the back door latch and fixed it, should of been a recall. My neighbors jeep is the same way. Just glad my 2014 doesn't do it!

Moochie

There actually was a dealer fix for this back in 2009. New improved latches. LOL! I had it done and the rattle went away for about 6 months. It didn't last though, so I went back to the tape.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Does the sound go away if you remove the doors, serious question? If so put them on one at time to determine which one, unless you already know the culprit door. :thumb: Once the door is narrowed down pop the panel and see if there is any debris inside.

If you still got a the rattles with the doors removed, it at least takes them out of the equation :brows:

I haven't taken them off but did try it with them open while driving, noise still there. Absolutely infuriating. Tried the electrical tape trick, grease, took it to the dealer, they greased, nothing works and I can't find the source.

Jiblet

I haven't taken them off but did try it with them open while driving, noise still there. Absolutely infuriating. Tried the electrical tape trick, grease, took it to the dealer, they greased, nothing works and I can't find the source.

Sounds can travel funny ways. Have you checked to see if the stock jack is tightly stowed?

jeeeep

Hooked

Do you have the hardtop? if so, check that all the interior bolts are snug...then remove the 2 front panels and check the 2 bolts (one on each side at the B-pillar) that hold the back portion of the hardtop to the body.
These worked loose on mine and drove me crazy, I used some plumber tape to keep them from working loose.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Do you have the hardtop? if so, check that all the interior bolts are snug...then remove the 2 front panels and check the 2 bolts (one on each side at the B-pillar) that hold the back portion of the hardtop to the body.
These worked loose on mine and drove me crazy, I used some plumber tape to keep them from working loose.

Yes I have a hard top. Can you elaborate a bit on those bolts you speak of??? Can I access them without removing the main top????

jeeeep

Hooked
Yes I have a hard top. Can you elaborate a bit on those bolts you speak of??? Can I access them without removing the main top????

you have to remove the 2 front panels to get access to them. the remainder of the top stays on. stand on the front door sills to get a good view. they hold the rear part of the hardtop down in the front, one bolt on each side.

you'll see them, they go into the b-pillars from the top. if loose, don't over-tighten - use some plumber tape to hold them in place and just get them snug

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
you have to remove the 2 front panels to get access to them. the remainder of the top stays on. stand on the front door sills to get a good view. they hold the rear part of the hardtop down in the front, one bolt on each side.

you'll see them, they go into the b-pillars from the top. if loose, don't over-tighten - use some plumber tape to hold them in place and just get them snug

Thank you very much. If this solves my rattle, a BIG BIG case of beer is coming your way.

madss

check the plastic trim behind the last rear passenger rollbar(behind the speaker) where the plastic contacts the metal tub. I had a nasty squeak from there. I placed a piece of foam weather stripping between the metal and plastic. silence is nice.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
check the plastic trim behind the last rear passenger rollbar(behind the speaker) where the plastic contacts the metal tub. I had a nasty squeak from there. I placed a piece of foam weather stripping between the metal and plastic. silence is nice.

Will do as well. Sadly, my hardtop bolts mentioned above were very tight, so they are not the culprit. The search continues.

jeeeep

Hooked
Will do as well. Sadly, my hardtop bolts mentioned above were very tight, so they are not the culprit. The search continues.

damn, that's too bad... have you checked inside the sound bar for extra factory screws?

I hate sounds like these. I also had another sound recently and luckily I remember reading about the heat shield and sure enough, a weld was broken on it and would rattle. I would only hear it with the windows down but still annoying

Top Bottom