Just ordered new ball joints

jeeeep

Hooked
I have synergy which I believe are the same just rebrand, have put about 6000 miles on them including off road miles and they seem fine.

If you plan to install these yourself, save yourself time and headache and get the ball joint adapter that's already angled. I bought it but have seen it available for rent at Orielly and Autozone.

Made the removal and insert smooth and quick.

I have synergy which I believe are the same just rebrand, have put about 6000 miles on them including off road miles and they seem fine.

If you plan to install these yourself, save yourself time and headache and get the ball joint adapter that's already angled. I bought it but have seen it available for rent at Orielly and Autozone.

Made the removal and insert smooth and quick.

Funny, we rented a press from AZ. Of coarse it was missing the ever so important angled piece.
We made do cutting a piece of pipe at a angle.

Couple tips :)

-Start soaking your hub bolts. Wire brush the ends sticking out past the hub before running them out.
-A 21mm brake bolt works prefect wedged in-between a yoke ear/knuckle to crack the hub.
- don't try and pry the sensor wire with a screw driver. Use a small pair of vise grips and pull/wiggle straight up. Ask how I know ? Lol
-MAKE SURE you pull the 2 axle guides out of each axle tube if left behind. Pressed for time a shop replaced one of my u-joints and this is what I found causing my leaking seal ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410481304.075273.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
x2 on the axle guides - they are just a fiber washer but make sure you get them out.
After helping a friend and watching him trying to guide the axle shafts back in I decided to buy the guides from the dealer - made sliding the axles back in easier.
Need to be careful putting them back in as not to damage the inner seals.

MurderedJK

One good thing about Alloy USA is the 5yr warranty. I have synergys but when replacing comes I'll probably go with the Alloy's just for the warranty. Otherwise they are all pretty much the same.

Wittys-JK

I just installed Synergy's and I have to say that even with the best ball joint tool set available, and we rented the most complete one we could get, the angled piece for the top ball joint is a must or you will have to use shims. We ended up striping the threads on the upper joint on the first side because we pushed the shims in too far. Fortunately we were able to rethread the joint and it only cost me a $10 rethread tool but the joint was fine after that. Another tip that helped me was soaking the ball joint itself with WD40 rust penetrator not standard kind the night before to help loosen up the joint and for the most part they popped right out. Make sure to clean the C again once out with brake cleaner to remove all oils, dirt, etc, before installing the new BJ. It drives really solid now and makes me wonder how I lasted 84K on stock ball joints :eek:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ProSteer by Dynatrac are rebuildable and supper strong! If your going to do it right the first time, put ProSteers in! My $.02.......

Agreed. Dynatrac ProSteers will literally be the last set of ball joints you will ever need to buy. They are not only made in the USA, made super strong and rebuildable, they also have a different method of operation that NO OTHER aftermarket ball joints offers. OE and ALL other aftermarket ball joints have a bottom joint that pivots and a top joint that allows up and down motion but no pivot. The Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints have a bottom joint that allows pivot and, a top joint that goes up and down AND pivots. This helps keep the ball joints aligned with each other without binding. Bent end forgings or, axle C's are very common in JKs and, this specific feature of the ProSteer's is a crucial part to ball joint longevity.

Having said that, they are pricey but you do get what you pay for. Alloy, Synergy and Crown HD are good runner ups and if that's the route you choose to go instead, I would recommend that you get the Crown HD's as they are the same thing only cheaper.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I purchased these ball joints. Hopefully install this weekend.

Attachments

• 1410531999736.jpg
    1410531999736.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 91

Jerms

Yeah I dont disagree with the fact that Prosteers are the way to go, but when you are on a tight budget, well, we all have been there before...

I was just looking for some feedback on who is running the USA Alloy. That is all

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I dont disagree with the fact that Prosteers are the way to go, but when you are on a tight budget, well, we all have been there before...

I was just looking for some feedback on who is running the USA Alloy. That is all

Sorry, I clicked on the thread and got to the last post and just responded. I went back and saw your original post and apologize if I came across like you made a mistake. The Alloy joints are fine and will serve you better than the factory ones.

Top Bottom