need help swapping rear coil...

jmatta33

ok so im in the process of swapping out my sport shocks and spings for rubi shocks and spings and it was a PITA getting the first coil out and impossible to get one back in. what do i need to do to get enough space to put my new spings back in? ive disconnected sway bar links, both shocks, brake lines from frame and the only thing left are the control arms and track bar. am i missing something??? ive jacked it up as much as it will go on one side and the other side is at full droop but im still a couple inches away from success...

RLTW!!!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
You loosened track bar and control arms? I've seen sharky use a bottle jack before

noroad

haha we just put 4dr rubi coils in a 2rd with 1.75 spacers as well and it sucked! what i can tell you is two people helps, we took both shocks off and swaybar links, also losen the brake lines(on the frame) it helps to have one person putting the coil in and the other adding weight (i 260 in weight stood on the axle to give it room) then the other person pushed the coil up in over the mount!

edit also you can take the e brake cable off the center of the under body hooks for more room as well

Last edited:

pvanweelden

Coil compressors help, but are dangerous if you knock one off.
4 foot pry bar on the axle and another pry bar to help slide the coil on the lower pad

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you need to disconnect the track bar from the axle and that will give you more droop.

noroad

If you are going to take the bolt out of the track bar take the old coils out first! If not when loosened it might kick the axle side ways. Just a tip found that out in a scary moment all was good lol.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm too lazy to unbolt the trackbar unless I'm swapping it out. For me, using a bottle jack on top of the axle and against the frame is quick, easy, and gives you a lot of control of the forced droop. Just make sure your jack is seated correctly.

Take a look at "the Building of Meanst" thread if you want to see a pic.

Hmm, I always found the rears to be a lot easier then the front. You don't have to deal with the bump stops and drag link/passenger side getting in the way.
Get the frame up high enough, use a jack on one side as a pivot point and the stock coils should fall out.

Top Bottom