Fender Rub - Fess up

After my last trip to the Slick Rock trail I had some fender rub and know I need to do the Factory fender chop. With that being said what concerns me is after inspection I tore a plastic support gusset off my sub structure just aft of the marker light. Which tells me I am rubbing the sub structure. (I know I also rub the lip of the stock fender).

I like the look of the stock fender but HATE rubbing - Will I still rub a chopped fender/sub structure (with all the hanging supports removed from the sub) in certain situations?

Specs: 4" Enforcer with the appropriate bump stops, 37" Nittos, no wheel spacers and 3.5 backspace.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. You will still rub the sub-structure even with your fenders trimmed if you are rubbing them now. Really, it's no big deal and I wouldn't give a second thought to it but, if it really bothers you, a 1" body lift or taller bump stop extensions will help mitigate the rubbing.

Yes. You will still rub the sub-structure even with your fenders trimmed if you are rubbing them now.

Thanks - I guess my real question is are people with a similar setup rubbing? I ripped off the cross member and not sure if I would rub now with it all cleaned up under there.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, everyone with big flex breaks off that plastic tab under the fender. EVERYONE. It's no big deal and you'll be fine without it. As far as others go, you bet they rub at a full flex and factory fenders. Back in the day, the rule was that you needed about 4.5" of lift or more to clear 37's but only because back then, nobody was chopping their fenders. If you want to avoid rubbing, you need to chop or run flat fenders and even at that, you may still see a little rubbing in extreme flex situations.

First off, everyone with big flex breaks off that plastic tab under the fender. EVERYONE. It's no big deal and you'll be fine without it. As far as others go, you bet they rub at a full flex and factory fenders. Back in the day, the rule was that you needed about 4.5" of lift or more to clear 37's but only because back then, nobody was chopping their fenders. If you want to avoid rubbing, you need to chop or run flat fenders and even at that, you may still see a little rubbing in extreme flex situations.

Perfect thank you :thumb:

My jeep seems to sit high for some reason ( i know i am still light with the stock bumpers) and thought the fender cut might look a little weird with all that space but I am getting over that real fast so maybe it's time to grab some new blades and get to work!

Thanks again :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Perfect thank you :thumb:

My jeep seems to sit high for some reason ( i know i am still light with the stock bumpers) and thought the fender cut might look a little weird with all that space but I am getting over that real fast so maybe it's time to grab some new blades and get to work!

Thanks again :beer:

You should try running a set of 40's and try to do it with just 3.5" of lift like me. I've not only trimmed my fenders but have also done quite a bit of body trimming and still get rub. For me, it's a small price to pay to help keep my stance low.

Top Bottom