Satellite phones and the uconnect system

Ranger4011

Are there any sat phones that will connect to my jeep?
And if which are the better ones ?

Sent from this little chumjigger here in my hand.

mrmike

If the phone has standard Bluetooth capability it should work. I have several iridium phones but don't think they have bluetooth. Maybe the newer products do.

Globalstar supposedly has improved their coverage now. Maybe worth trying. You can rent one and check how well it works.

They key to good coverage in a moving car is a roof antenna. The iridium came with a mag mount antenna. Not sure if Globalstar includes it or not. Used to be they didn't. And they were expensive to buy.

Ranger4011

If the phone has standard Bluetooth capability it should work. I have several iridium phones but don't think they have bluetooth. Maybe the newer products do.

Globalstar supposedly has improved their coverage now. Maybe worth trying. You can rent one and check how well it works.

They key to good coverage in a moving car is a roof antenna. The iridium came with a mag mount antenna. Not sure if Globalstar includes it or not. Used to be they didn't. And they were expensive to buy.

How did you mount the antenna my jeep is a brand Spangler still alittle weary about to many scratches I'll get over that with time but it's only 4 months old right now

Ranger4011

Has anyone tried the spot global phones yet I wonder what there like it seems like their rates are alittle lower?

TrailBear

Has anyone tried the spot global phones yet I wonder what there like it seems like their rates are alittle lower?

Spot phones are globalstar, I think they are the same company, spot has always used the same satellites. Globalstar was the first one out, worked great at first but had lost a few satellites and where unreliable, we killed two batteries trying to get a call one once. We complained when we returned the phone and they told us about the satellites, they told us iridium had a better system at that time, also iridium is used by the US military.

Armydog

I have used iridium sat phones on several different "trips" in very different places.... never an issue, always worked as long as you had a clear shot of the sky... but I wasn't paying the bill.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

bkac

Caught the Bug
I have used iridium sat phones on several different "trips" in very different places.... never an issue, always worked as long as you had a clear shot of the sky... but I wasn't paying the bill.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

I just jumped in on this and might have missed something. I have a sat phone, It's about $1000 for the phone and $50/month. Definitely need a clear path but could be useful when nothing else works.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

mrmike

Brain fart. Forgot that a mag mount won't work on our hardtops. I've always used the phone in the chase truck which is a F150.

Even just sitting in the dash with the antenna pointed up the Iridium usually gets a signal. But there are times it looses it. That said, it also happens which the roof mount antenna.

Top Bottom