I'm still liquid for 100k smartass

Vettethret

Well my plan was to build a 15 JK with the slabs and ORE coil overs I've wanted on my last two Jeeps. My problem is the industry that I've been in the last 19 years and have made quite a bit of money at is DEAD (Nothing like starting over at 40) and I am looking for a new career at this point, therefore I cant do another 20+k build. I was SERIOUSLY considering getting a 15 4runner trail and lifting it on 35's (6K and done), but I'm not a Toyota guy and the 4runner isn't the best looking vehicle around. My CPA has been telling me for years to lease to help me with my taxes (Outside of jeeps I've always leased and either sold the modified car or parted it out and sold).

Fast forward to today. I've got a dealer that will give me 4k off sticker on a Rubi X and let me finance 12.5 worth of parts into the lease (Hence why coil overs and slabs are out). I am looking for opinions on two lifts. The Teraflex 6" Long Arm or the Rock Krawler 5.5" Long Arm. I've seen the issue with the broken brackets with Teraflex, but it looks like they've re-designed it. I ran the RK 5.5 MID ARM (They only sell the long arm now at this height) on my 13 Rubicon and was overall happy with it (Ride could have been a little better but still a solid lift). I've always run bigger lifts on my rig (Personal preference) so a 4" lift will not work for me (Again, personal preference). Any suggestions between these two lifts, or maybe another bigger lift I am not seeing? My understanding is that RK developed new springs that may give a better ride. My build parts are below. I would love to hear suggestions other than running a smaller lift (My little mans complex wont allow it). I do wheel the moderate trails and have run 38's on my last 3 rigs, so that tire choice wont change. Any opinions would be appreciated.

The build-

Tera 6" Long Arm or RK 5.5" Long Arm)
20x10 Moto metal wheels
38x15.5x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers
JE Reel 1350 Drive shafts
King 2.5 Resi shocks
ORE Sliders

ttfhell

Why the hell would you want a 6" lift? I had the 4" Teraflex which is solid and it netted about 18" of lift. And by solid I mean if you don't wheel it you will be good. But if you wheel it that's a lot of weight way up I'm the sky. Oh and your joints will last about six months.

GR8WHITE

2 or 4 door? (Idk if i missed that or not) Im running a 5.5 Rk xfactor long arm (38 mtrks) on my jku now and like it. I only went with such a big lift was for belly clearance. But for now it does pretty damn good in the the mall parking lots :cheesy:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410738284.666668.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410738056.896265.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410738056.896265.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
You will get hosed by financing that 12.5k. If you were to search the same lifts, they are probably 4-5k max.

If they're letting you pick lift, why not CO?? I think you could do that for 12.5 or close to it.

- Jason

Vettethret

Financing lifts and tires is a great thing to do when you are looking for a new career.

Really smart ass, whats the issue? I'm still liquid for over 100k, why would I want to tie that up in a vehicle when I can lease it, run it through my company I still have set up, deduct it, and then turn the car in three years from now and get another? Let me guess, your a plumber?

noroad

Really smart ass, whats the issue? I'm still liquid for over 100k, why would I want to tie that up in a vehicle when I can lease it, run it through my company I still have set up, deduct it, and then turn the car in three years from now and get another? Let me guess, your a plumber?

Ill just put this here!
1.jpg

JAGS

Hooked

You can claim (deduct) your built/leased rig from your taxes??? What kind of mortgage business requires a lifted jeep off road vehicle? Just asking as I too have my own business and would love to know that work-around. 😉

I think overlanders point was likely more the age long rule....you don't finance toys (boats, atvs, etc, trailers) etc. not sure why the harsh replay, but sure you'll work it out. 👍

- Jason

jeeeep

Hooked
Well my plan was to build a 15 JK with the slabs and ORE coil overs I've wanted on my last two Jeeps. My problem is the industry that I've been in the last 19 years and have made quite a bit of money at is DEAD (Nothing like starting over at 40) and I am looking for a new career at this point, therefore I cant do another 20+k build. I was SERIOUSLY considering getting a 15 4runner trail and lifting it on 35's (6K and done), but I'm not a Toyota guy and the 4runner isn't the best looking vehicle around. My CPA has been telling me for years to lease to help me with my taxes (Outside of jeeps I've always leased and either sold the modified car or parted it out and sold).

Fast forward to today. I've got a dealer that will give me 4k off sticker on a Rubi X and let me finance 12.5 worth of parts into the lease (Hence why coil overs and slabs are out). I am looking for opinions on two lifts. The Teraflex 6" Long Arm or the Rock Krawler 5.5" Long Arm. I've seen the issue with the broken brackets with Teraflex, but it looks like they've re-designed it. I ran the RK 5.5 MID ARM (They only sell the long arm now at this height) on my 13 Rubicon and was overall happy with it (Ride could have been a little better but still a solid lift). I've always run bigger lifts on my rig (Personal preference) so a 4" lift will not work for me (Again, personal preference). Any suggestions between these two lifts, or maybe another bigger lift I am not seeing? My understanding is that RK developed new springs that may give a better ride. My build parts are below. I would love to hear suggestions other than running a smaller lift (My little mans complex wont allow it). I do wheel the moderate trails and have run 38's on my last 3 rigs, so that tire choice wont change. Any opinions would be appreciated.

The build-

Tera 6" Long Arm or RK 5.5" Long Arm)
20x10 Moto metal wheels
38x15.5x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers
JE Reel 1350 Drive shafts
King 2.5 Resi shocks
ORE Sliders

been there done that..IMO, I'd get the Rubi X and skip all the other until you get more solid. I've been liquid far more than you state and it's amazing how fast it goes when life gets in the way. But, it's your money and even if you weren't in the position you're in now I wouldn't do a dealer install as the premium on it is about 1.5x retail then the finance costs on top of it. Even if they install it, they may void any warranty at their discretion . Dealers love buyers like you...it's all profit for them.
You'll have a very capable Rubi in stock form, why mess with it on getting a lift you're not real thrilled about, especially on a lease?
:twocents:

Last edited:

ttfhell

"Any opinions would be appreciated." Unless of course you don't like somebody else's opinion...

Please DO NOT lease a vehicle and have the dealer install parts!! Trust me, I did this when I bought my first JK in 2007. I own a business as well and tried to write off mods and payment under the business and realized it is not that easy. You know what happens if the IRS decides to audit you and your biz (I assume you have an LLC)? Unless you own an offroad parts biz or a repair shop they aren't going to take your word that you use a Rubicon with a 5.5 inch long arm to visit clients for your insurance business. When I went to trade the Jeep in it was a nightmare trying to switch those parts to a new lease. I eventually was able to find a dealer that would swap the parts if I purchased a new vehicle from them. I paid over $1000 in last month payments and mileage penalties. IMO you should never finance upgrades to a vehicle and you should NEVER lease a Jeep that you plan to mod. I hope my bad experience knocks some sense into you! Good luck with the change of career too!

JAGS

Hooked
Please DO NOT lease a vehicle and have the dealer install parts!! Trust me, I did this when I bought my first JK in 2007. I own a business as well and tried to write off mods and payment under the business and realized it is not that easy. You know what happens if the IRS decides to audit you and your biz (I assume you have an LLC)? Unless you own an offroad parts biz or a repair shop they aren't going to take your word that you use a Rubicon with a 5.5 inch long arm to visit clients for your insurance business. When I went to trade the Jeep in it was a nightmare trying to switch those parts to a new lease. I eventually was able to find a dealer that would swap the parts if I purchased a new vehicle from them. I paid over $1000 in last month payments and mileage penalties. IMO you should never finance upgrades to a vehicle and you should NEVER lease a Jeep that you plan to mod. I hope my bad experience knocks some sense into you! Good luck with the change of career too!

You must be a plumber. 😉😂😂

- Jason

You must be a plumber. 

- Jason

Haha, nope not a plumber. Just young and dumb. It was for a nutrition and training business. I figured a huge Jeep was bound to attract clients! Careful though, you might offend some of the sensitive pipe cleaners around here!

JAGS

Hooked
Haha, nope not a plumber. Just young and dumb. It was for a nutrition and training business. I figured a huge Jeep was bound to attract clients! Careful though, you might offend some of the sensitive pipe cleaners around here!

Was just referencing one of the OPs quote. Ha ha

- Jason

Sharkey

Word Ninja

No offense...but you suck donkey dicks. I'm am so effing sick of people gaming the system every chance they get. Except in very limited circumstances, there is no legitimate reason for you to be running a modified vehicle through your business. And your CPA is a crook if he is telling you to do it. Maybe you and your CPA can find a way to get some EBT cards too...I bet Teraflex would accept them.

Integrity can be defined as doing the right thing even when no one is watching. Karma is a bitch dude, and I hope she slaps you silly.

noroad

No offense...but you suck donkey dicks. I'm am so effing sick of people gaming the system every chance they get. Except in very limited circumstances, there is no legitimate reason for you to be running a modified vehicle through your business. And your CPA is a crook if he is telling you to do it. Maybe you and your CPA can find a way to get some EBT cards too...I bet Teraflex would accept them.

Integrity can be defined as doing the right thing even when no one is watching. Karma is a bitch dude, and I hope she slaps you silly.

:eek: :clap2:

Tigrcky

I owe you a beer now :yup: :beer:

Sent from my whatchamacallit

That was awesome :shock: you deserve an award :clap2:

If his CPA told him to write off the vehicle's miles then that is fine, if he actually said you can write off mods on a leased vehicle he is either a moron, a scam artist, or a nasty combination of the two.

Tigrcky

And here I was working on getting a new jeep and modding it the honest way... I'm such an idiot!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sent from my whatchamacallit

Top Bottom