Fender Cutting Help

FastZach

Looking to cut the fenders on my dad's jeep next week. What tool should I use to cut them? Anything else I might need before starting? Is there a write up on the how to?

Thanks

bman198

When I cut mine I used a reciprocating saw with a really fine toothed blade. Didn't have any troubles. Then have a really fine file to even out your cuts and smooth the edges. Best of luck!

The best tool for this is a MultiMax type tool. I was so easy. Measure everything 5 times to make sure its even. Then once you tape it all off and its marked up, cut once. Using a MultiMax tool does a few things, makes very clean smooth cuts, leaves almost nothing to sand, it doesn't melt the plastic like the regular Dremel tools will. It's just better. ;)

Screenshot 2014-09-14 21.18.55.png

SaddleTramp

Jig saw with a fine blade. Tape off all of the area that the saw gate will contact with the fenders, the vibration will rub marks on the textured plastic. I double taped, two layers, and still had some ares where the saw gate rubbed through. Use a sheet rock rasp to smooth the cuts and a sanding block with medium to fine sand paper. There are a number of examples and threads on here, good luck, they'll turn out great if you take your time! :thumb:

bkac

Caught the Bug
Jig saw with a fine blade. Tape off all of the area that the saw gate will contact with the fenders, the vibration will rub marks on the textured plastic. I double taped, two layers, and still had some ares where the saw gate rubbed through. Use a sheet rock rasp to smooth the cuts and a sanding block with medium to fine sand paper. There are a number of examples and threads on here, good luck, they'll turn out great if you take your time! :thumb:

I did the same, went slow and not full speed on the jigsaw with a fine tooth blade and angled the saw forward so not much of the flat saw guide was touching the fender to scratch it. Mine came out awesome. If your jigsaw has a v notch on the flat guide plate in the front it works perfect if you place it right where the fender starts to roll over to the side ads a guide. I didn't even use door trim. I did mine on the jeep too. Just my .02 cents! Hope it helps. Good luck

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

I took a Sawzall and cut all 4 of mine in about 35 min. I put some edge trim and they look perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom