I could use some help setting up EVO bolt on coilovers

bkac

Caught the Bug
I installed my EVO bolt on coilovers and need some help with dialing them in. Here's what I have and where I'm at.
I currently am running 35s on 4 door with LoD rear bumper/carrier with a spare, EVO 1/4 pounder with stinger and no winch, I have LoD sliders, and protek skids. So that's basically my weight. I'm running a coast 1350 front ds.
So the fronts are set at 1" on the top collar.
1410738996491.jpg

The rears are set at 1/8 inch down on the top collar and the silver trim rings are set at 3/4" from the slider,in rear at ride height.
1410739149968.jpg

In the front I'm sitting at about 3.5 inches of lift and the rear seems like around 4. I can't seem to get the rears much lower.
I called EVO not ORE on Friday to ask where to set my slider trim rings and Andrew from EVO said about a thumbs distance from the sliders at ride height. I have no problem doing that on the rears but the fronts, i can't get close to that because i run out of threads on the shocks about 2.5 inches before I get to the slider. So how should I set up the fronts and rears?

Since i have installed them I now have a slight roar/vibration above 60mph. It's odd because i didn't change lift height from my 3" enforcer. Any thoughts on this would really help.
Can i get driveline vibration from a factory rear shaft with 3.75-4" of lift? I'm running factory arms in the rear and evo lower fronts.
Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
Great question, sorry i forgot.
Stocks from evo
Front 250/250
Rears 200/250

Also have a hard top

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I installed my EVO bolt on coilovers and need some help with dialing them in. Here's what I have and where I'm at.
I currently am running 35s on 4 door with LoD rear bumper/carrier with a spare, EVO 1/4 pounder with stinger and no winch, I have LoD sliders, and protek skids. So that's basically my weight. I'm running a coast 1350 front ds.
So the fronts are set at 1" on the top collar.
View attachment 100182

The rears are set at 1/8 inch down on the top collar and the silver trim rings are set at 3/4" from the slider,in rear at ride height.
View attachment 100186

In the front I'm sitting at about 3.5 inches of lift and the rear seems like around 4. I can't seem to get the rears much lower.
I called EVO not ORE on Friday to ask where to set my slider trim rings and Andrew from EVO said about a thumbs distance from the sliders at ride height. I have no problem doing that on the rears but the fronts, i can't get close to that because i run out of threads on the shocks about 2.5 inches before I get to the slider. So how should I set up the fronts and rears?

Your front timing rings are set too high. They need to be down lower and closer to the blue collar separating the two coils.

Since i have installed them I now have a slight roar/vibration above 60mph. It's odd because i didn't change lift height from my 3" enforcer. Any thoughts on this would really help.
Can i get driveline vibration from a factory rear shaft with 3.75-4" of lift? I'm running factory arms in the rear and evo lower fronts.
Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

Is it safe to assume you are running the same tires and that they haven't been rotated? Are you running an aftermarket front shaft? Is the vibration solid or does it oscillate? What is your caster set at?

bkac

Caught the Bug
Your front timing rings are set too high. They need to be down lower and closer to the blue collar separating the two coils.

I haven't set the fronts because i waiting waiting to see where to put them. I'm going to run them near the bottom of the threads, that will be close to 2.5" from the sliders.

Is it safe to assume you are running the same tires and that they haven't been rotated? Are you running an aftermarket front shaft? Is the vibration solid or does it oscillate? What is your caster set at?

Yes, same tires, same spots, front coast 1350 driveshaft, was on before. Vibration is solid, not to loud or bad but noticeable and solid above 60-62mph, Outs more of a roar then a tire vibration i think. Caster is at 4.8 degrees on the angle finder. My front lower arms are almost all the way in.
1410741051647.jpg

On the front diff bolts

1410741090662.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Maybe the camera angle, but the top spring looks taller than the bottom one. Are they the same length?

bkac

Caught the Bug
Maybe the camera angle, but the top spring looks taller than the bottom one. Are they the same length?

This idk, I'm wondering if i have a issue?

There the factory spec'd evo from king
1410741447127.jpg

bkac

Caught the Bug
Here's a shot of the fronts with the trim tabs about as low as they will go. I just moved them down. Almost 2.5" from the slider.
1410742726481.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, same tires, same spots, front coast 1350 driveshaft, was on before. Vibration is solid, not to loud or bad but noticeable and solid above 60-62mph, Outs more of a roar then a tire vibration i think. Caster is at 4.8 degrees on the angle finder. My front lower arms are almost all the way in.

Okay, 4.8° is a bit much and I would try bringing that back down to 4°. Having said that, if it were really your front, the vibration would oscillate. Assuming it is in fact a drive shaft vibration, a solid one would typically point to the rear but only if you were running a u-joint style shaft. Being that you are still factory, it is possible that your bearings are starting to fail in your rzeppa joints. Hard to say for sure without hearing it for myself.

bkac

Caught the Bug
"More correct" :) Still not right though is it? What about my caster, think I'm good from the picture above?

Oops just saw your post above, thanks

bkac

Caught the Bug
Okay, 4.8° is a bit much and I would try bringing that back down to 4°. Having said that, if it were really your front, the vibration would oscillate. Assuming it is in fact a drive shaft vibration, a solid one would typically point to the rear but only if you were running a u-joint style shaft. Being that you are still factory, it is possible that your bearings are starting to fail in your rzeppa joints. Hard to say for sure without hearing it for myself.

Going to bring it closer to 4 degrees now, Thanks

bkac

Caught the Bug
Going to bring it closer to 4 degrees now, Thanks

I set my caster to 4.0 and the roar is still there, it starts exactly around 62mph and goes up from there. I got to 86mph and then slowed down. I put the jeep in neutral at that speed and it was still there. It honestly sounds like a wheel bearing that's going bad. The jeep only has 3000 miles on it. I'm running 4.5bs wheels with another 1.5 spydertrac spacers for a total of 3.0 backspacing. My toe is set in to 1/8. My driveline angles don't look bad at all. I have no idea. Could flexing the Jeep out on stock rear driveline have bent something? I'm so ready for some PR's front and rear so I can give her hell with some confidence! Right now I feel I'm on pins and needles just waiting for something to give. I hate noises, vibrations, and rattles especially when I can't figure them out! :D

I set my caster to 4.0 and the roar is still there, it starts exactly around 62mph and goes up from there. I got to 86mph and then slowed down. I put the jeep in neutral at that speed and it was still there. It honestly sounds like a wheel bearing that's going bad. The jeep only has 3000 miles on it. I'm running 4.5bs wheels with another 1.5 spydertrac spacers for a total of 3.0 backspacing. My toe is set in to 1/8. My driveline angles don't look bad at all. I have no idea. Could flexing the Jeep out on stock rear driveline have bent something? I'm so ready for some PR's front and rear so I can give her hell with some confidence! Right now I feel I'm on pins and needles just waiting for something to give. I hate noises, vibrations, and rattles especially when I can't figure them out! :D

Can you feel the roar or just hear it? Remember your front bumper has a big hole in it right now. Just a thought

bkac

Caught the Bug
Can you feel the roar or just hear it? Remember your front bumper has a big hole in it right now. Just a thought

Both, its really not that bad but there which means something isn't right/happy. Can you take a picture of your front lower control arms at the adjuster your jeep is higher then mine, I want to see how far out your arms are adjusted. Mine are all the way in. Did you get a new front driveshaft? What about the rear? Did you do a new rear shaft?

Both, its really not that bad but there which means something isn't right/happy. Can you take a picture of your front lower control arms at the adjuster your jeep is higher then mine, I want to see how far out your arms are adjusted. Mine are all the way in. Did you get a new front driveshaft? What about the rear? Did you do a new rear shaft?

It's dark where I am parked... I texted you a pic. As far as drive shafts I still have stock in the rear and 1350 in the front

bkac

Caught the Bug
It's dark where I am parked... I texted you a pic. As far as drive shafts I still have stock in the rear and 1350 in the front

Thanks, my caster is definitely less then yours and I have less lift too. So i don't think it's a front driveline issue.

Top Bottom