Cooling system experts? Hot water supply.

CanadianJK

Evening,

I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking lately. (tends to be a very dangerous and expensive combination...)

I'm very interested in mocking up, and installing a hot water shower system that feeds off my cooling system VIA a plate heat exchanger.

While I wouldn't hesitate to chop up my old WJ, the JK is another beast all together. I'm planning on purchasing a replacement hose so I don't have to cut the stock one (if warranty work ever becomes an issue I'll expect a quick swap back to stock). I am planning on having the water pump and heat exchanger mounted in the engine bay, and the pump will operate off my sPod. I would prefer a constant flow through the exchanger vice having shutoff valves under the hood (keep it clean/KISS). Water would be pumped in from a hose with a filter either in a lake/river/jerry etc and pump out a shower head, likely both hoses at the front bumper.

Who has more knowledge than I of the cooling system? My main questions are:

1. Where is the best point to cut into a hose
i. cheapest hose to replace?
ii. best heat supply?
iii. I've read that if you use a heater core hose you can control your shower temp with the heat control in the vehicle, I don't think that will be the case with a modern HVAC system that uses blend doors etc. am I right?

2. Can these changes affect flow, efficiency or safe operation of the cooling system?

3. Does anyone have better ideas/done it before/lessons learned to offer?

Any and all advice is appreciated. If I can't be confident in my plan I'll likely cut into my WJ to test out the concept before cutting my JK up.

Cheers!

SDG

Caught the Bug
The ones I have seen (videos on the interwebs) vary in complexity, but are are basically quite simple.

If it were me, I would control the heat via a valve on the end of your shower. The more you close it the slower the flow the more contact time in the heat exchanger, the warmer the water. I will try and find the video, but basically a blue or green garden hose is your feed to the pump (controlled by your S-Pod) which is perma plumbed into your heat exchanger, then a red section of hose that goes into the output of the heat exchanger with a inline valve and showerhead attached. That way you control the heat at the shower head.

This guy has some good ideas and calls out who he got the parts from

Another nice setup

ttfhell

The ones I have seen (videos on the interwebs) vary in complexity, but are are basically quite simple. If it were me, I would control the heat via a valve on the end of your shower. The more you close it the slower the flow the more contact time in the heat exchanger, the warmer the water. I will try and find the video, but basically a blue or green garden hose is your feed to the pump (controlled by your S-Pod) which is perma plumbed into your heat exchanger, then a red section of hose that goes into the output of the heat exchanger with a inline valve and showerhead attached. That way you control the heat at the shower head. This guy has some good ideas and calls out who he got the parts from YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TliLRT4btI Another nice setup YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMNyIbNinYo
welcome to wayalife!

Top Bottom