Front Coilover from DD view

jeeeep

Hooked
Hello all, I've been reading the coilover install threads and reading how much better the offroad performance is after installing. what I'd like feedback on is how they perform long distance on-road.

While I wheel and want to improve the overall off-road, I don't want to cross the line where my Jeep becomes a trail only rig.

I travel a lot of daily freeway miles and looking for feedback on stability, cornering (on/off ramps, loops etc) for a daily driver, I imagine local driving would not be an issue.

How is the ride in side wind gusts? in stock form, to me it always felt a little sloppy, with the lift I have now, it feels a lot more solid, no sway and no nose dive.

What I now have, 3.5" short arm lift, 35's going to 37's when the new generation of tires come out in November.

Front axle Dynatrac PR44 Unlmtd. Drag link, track bar and tie rod all got upgraded to Synergy after the wreck (I'm not sure I'm all that impressed with Synergy but a different thread lol). PSC hydro assist.

cheers :beer:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Hello all, I've been reading the coilover install threads and reading how much better the offroad performance is after installing. what I'd like feedback on is how they perform long distance on-road.

While I wheel and want to improve the overall off-road, I don't want to cross the line where my Jeep becomes a trail only rig.

I travel a lot of daily freeway miles and looking for feedback on stability, cornering (on/off ramps, loops etc) for a daily driver, I imagine local driving would not be an issue.

How is the ride in side wind gusts? in stock form, to me it always felt a little sloppy, with the lift I have now, it feels a lot more solid, no sway and no nose dive.

What I now have, 3.5" short arm lift, 35's going to 37's when the new generation of tires come out in November.

Front axle Dynatrac PR44 Unlmtd. Drag link, track bar and tie rod all got upgraded to Synergy after the wreck (I'm not sure I'm all that impressed with Synergy but a different thread lol). PSC hydro assist.

cheers :beer:

Having only driven and ridden in Jeeps with EVO Mfg. Bolt-on coilovers I can tell you that it offers a superior ride on road.

If I could give a few examples of their performance in the long term, I would point you to the fact that Eddie had run them on RubiCat for close to 70k (I believe). I know a few other people that run them in their DD's with no complaints. I can tell you my opinion is that they make your Jeep ride like a Cadillac. In a good way that is..

So since I know people that run the bolt-on coilovers and the DTD in their daily drivers, I would say that you are not risking making your Jeep a "trail only rig."

StrizzyChris

It really comes down to everything else on your rig and not all about the coilovers.

If you're running coilovers at 5" of lift, no long arms, not running a drag link flip with raised track bar, etc. ....then it'll ride like crap compared to stock suspension. Lastly, spring rates have a lot to do with the handling as well. You can go with a more firm spring if you want it to handle more sporty than soft going down the road.

If you take all the steps to fix what else is effected by your lift, then you'll be happy and find that you're not making any compromises! :yup:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I have a similar setup to what you are after. I have the DTD brackets with no bypasses. My wife and I just completed a 2,200 mile trip over 12 days. The ride is more than "comfortable enough" and can definitely be tuned to your taste and needs through spring rates and tire pressure. I run 37" nittos with slabs on the factory width 44's and on road stability is not much of an issue until you get enough of a mix of speed, added cargo weight and moderate to high crosswinds. With that said, sway bar choice and ride height will definitely affect crosswind stability.

Cornering capability does take a minute to get used to, but once you learn to trust it, there is way more than you really need. I also think this might be one are the bolts on vary from the cantilever.

Just take an honest look at how you want your rig to perform, ie more geared towards daily driving with no extra weight, or setup for long excursions with xxxx amount of added weight.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the bolt on coil overs and even better, the DTD's offer a superior ride ON ROAD. In fact, over the summer, Cindy and I racked up over 6,000 miles on our white JK with DTD's in a crazy 3 week marathon driving out to Missouri and back and then heading up to the Canadian border and back and I might add, wheeling along the way. There just is nothing better out there that you can get - of course, it does come with a steep price tag but, you do get what you pay for.

JAGS

Hooked
I hate these threads. :banghead: Even though I have a more-than-capable EVO Enforcer with King shocks, I always find myself wiping the drool a bit when you all start talking DTD. That set up truly is a work or art.

trailless

Caught the Bug
I hate these threads. :banghead: Even though I have a more-than-capable EVO Enforcer with King shocks, I always find myself wiping the drool a bit when you all start talking DTD. That set up truly is a work or art.

I'm not anywhere near upgrading yet but I've been looking around. I keep going from just wanting to get the enforcer with kings then to the Double D Long Arm with just bilsteins... BUT those coilovers are damn sexy....

Ah2014jk

I'm not anywhere near upgrading yet but I've been looking around. I keep going from just wanting to get the enforcer with kings then to the Double D Long Arm with just bilsteins... BUT those coilovers are damn sexy....

Ha it's good to see I'm
Not the only one like this!!! After my post last night I am almost 100% sure now that the coilover set up is where I'm going this winter .... Until something was pointed out..... Salt and anti- icing spray .... I'm in canada.... Need I say more? ( please correct me if I'm wrong here )

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ha it's good to see I'm
Not the only one like this!!! After my post last night I am almost 100% sure now that the coilover set up is where I'm going this winter .... Until something was pointed out..... Salt and anti- icing spray .... I'm in canada.... Need I say more? ( please correct me if I'm wrong here )

I live in Utah, land of the salt and I haven't had one minutes problem. I put them on last fall and I am loving them!!!!!

Ha it's good to see I'm

Thats my plan for middle of next year

Ah2014jk

I live in Utah, land of the salt and I haven't had one minutes problem. I put them on last fall and I am loving them!!!!!

You ran them through the winter? That's awesome! Got an pictures recently to show?

Ah2014jk

Damn those look amazing! Did you do anything during the winter to stop corrosion ?

jeeeep

Hooked
thanks for the input - I've been tossing around the idea and since I need to replace shocks and was thinking about plush springs then I figured coilovers may be more of what I'm looking for.

Start with the front then do the rear and gain a little more speed on some of the dirt roads I've been limiting my speed on, especially if I still get to keep my on-road feel.... I tend to travel fast :rock:

Top Bottom