Swaybar rubbing frame

bkac

Caught the Bug
I was just driving home from work and felt a scraping feeling in the steering wheel when pulling into a parking lot our an uneven spot in the road. When i got home I looked and noticed the swaybar is hitting the frame. I guess this outs from installing the longer sway bay links with the coilovers. Is this a common issue? Should I just grind the frame down where it's hitting? The swaybar outs basically centered and rubbing on the drivers side but really close to rubbing on the passenger side.

1410906512066.jpg
1410906553250.jpg
1410906657107.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK1

nice setup.. just a fyi if you dont have a nut on the bottom of those front bumpstop i would suggest putting a lock nut on them i lost one and almost lost another better to be safe then sorry ;) and yes i cut mine too.. easy fix:beer:

bkac

Caught the Bug
flip the swaybar motor plug down and it'll fix it

Lol, no no not back to that again! :)
I guess I just might not have any other choice. I thought I had it all straight too. Now that the winch, bumper, stinger, and lights are on I guess I'll flip it down. It might be easiest to just drop the sb motor and flip it that way if it's possible.

I'm hoping maybe Eddie will chime in, I would love to know how he has his working flipped up with the factory sb motor still working ? I'm not trying to start another thread on that subject. I promise. Thanks strizzy!

StrizzyChris

Lol, no no not back to that again! :)
I guess I just might not have any other choice. I thought I had it all straight too. Now that the winch, bumper, stinger, and lights are on I guess I'll flip it down. It might be easiest to just drop the sb motor and flip it that way if it's possible.

I'm hoping maybe Eddie will chime in, I would love to know how he has his working flipped up with the factory sb motor still working ? I'm not trying to start another thread on that subject. I promise. Thanks strizzy!

I'm just messing with you! The directional orientation of the motor has no effect of the position of the bar.

What will effect this is if you are running a stock vs adjustable track bar. It appears your axle is slightly passenger and shortening the TB would help you re-center the axle in this situation. BUT the easiest solution (what I'd do if I were you) is take an angle grinder and create some space there. BE VERY SURE to not get into the welds of that bar at all though, this is your main front crossmember and you don't want to jack it up!

Last edited:

bkac

Caught the Bug
nice setup.. just a fyi if you dont have a nut on the bottom of those front bumpstop i would suggest putting a lock nut on them i lost one and almost lost another better to be safe then sorry ;) and yes i cut mine too.. easy fix:beer:

Thanks for sharing, I'll do just that! That's what is so great about WAL, people with real life scenarios helping others! :thumbup:

bkac

Caught the Bug
curious how the other side looks

basically the exact same just not rubbing but so so close. Its not shifted.

I'm flipping the swaybar Motor now per strizzy so it should be fixed in a minute. Lol
Joking!

Mine rubs as well, I don't feel it or hear it but there is a small tell tail on each side just at the bottom of the round cross member very minor for me and not real worried about it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Is it just the angle of the picture or is your sway bar pointing way up? Maybe it doesn't matter?

I ground mine down a little and the bar shifted and started to rub again. Mine rubs both sides a little now (side depends on which tire gets stuffed more when wheeling) I just let it rub and repaint. This way the bar stays mostly centered.

Mine hits on both sides too. I've been " too busy" to cut them and haven't had any real issues. My angle of my sway bar looks about the same as yours.
What size tires are you running?

bkac

Caught the Bug
Is it just the angle of the picture or is your sway bar pointing way up? Maybe it doesn't matter?

It's pointing high because my coilovers are set low and with the amount of drop in them the links have to be long so they don't flip forward during full drop.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Mine hits on both sides too. I've been " too busy" to cut them and haven't had any real issues. My angle of my sway bar looks about the same as yours.
What size tires are you running?

35s and I have the coilovers set all the way down.

CJW

Mine did that as well. Took a sawsall to the portions sticking out. Problem solved.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Mine did that as well. Took a sawsall to the portions sticking out. Problem solved.

Yep, mine is now done! A few shots of honey, a sawzall, a fresh blade, and bam problem solved! :D

Top Bottom