Stubby bumpers...law enforcement issues?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Anyone have any issues with law enforcement and stubby bumpers/rear bumper delete? I know things seem to be more strict in CA and other southwestern states as far as mud flaps, but what about in the Midwest? Particularly MO. I'm a certified MO safety inspector, but of course I'd pass my own modded Jeep on safety inspection :). Do any fellow Missourians have any issues as far as the 5-0 pulling them over for bumper violations. In the Highway Patrol inspector handbook it states that any bumper should have the same structural integrity and extend as far as the OE bumper. Reason I ask is that I plan on installing a stubby/shorty bumper and removing the rear bumper in the future. Just don't want any issues with the police.

StrizzyChris

This post is pointless and provides no factual information or advice based on experience!

that being said.....

I would imagine that almost no-one except an Jeep enthusiast cop would know how wide an OEM Bumper is...so I'd say you'd be safe with a rear bumper as wide as the body only. The issue you'll have is the rear tires being exposed and THAT is where cops ding people the most on mud flaps. I'm running pretty wide, but have a stock rear bumper, and have no issues with the police thus far regarding mud flaps. My guess is because the OEM is so wide that it covers the majority of the rear tire.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
This post is pointless and provides no factual information or advice based on experience!

that being said.....

I would imagine that almost no-one except an Jeep enthusiast cop would know how wide an OEM Bumper is...so I'd say you'd be safe with a rear bumper as wide as the body only. The issue you'll have is the rear tires being exposed and THAT is where cops ding people the most on mud flaps. I'm running pretty wide, but have a stock rear bumper, and have no issues with the police thus far regarding mud flaps. My guess is because the OEM is so wide that it covers the majority of the rear tire.

I should have simply asked, "have any Missourian Jeepers been pulled over for stubby bumpers not being wide enough?". I just rambled on and should have just asked the question on my mind.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I've had no issues with the police sporting a stubby front and no rear bumper and have traveled several states.

SDG

Caught the Bug
In the Highway Patrol inspector handbook it states that any bumper should have the same structural integrity and extend as far as the OE bumper.

You answer your own question. I would argue that no bumper does not qualify as any bumper, so the law does not apply.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
You answer your own question. I would argue that no bumper does not qualify as any bumper, so the law does not apply.

Now that I look back, you're correct, I did answer my own question, now I feel like a dumba$$! If one of the mods wants to delete this thread, feel free. When the time comes, I may just swing by the local police station and ask the authorities in person.

In the Highway Patrol inspector handbook it states that any bumper should have the same structural integrity and extend as far as the OE bumper.

I read this to mean that the bumber can't be, say, tinfoil if you use an other than OEM bumper or can't be wider than the OEM- like extend 2 feet wider than the vehicle width. Just my interpretation.

I read this to mean that the bumber can't be, say, tinfoil if you use an other than OEM bumper or can't be wider than the OEM- like extend 2 feet wider than the vehicle width. Just my interpretation.

I believe Brankzie is the Tinfoil Bumper expert here.

Extend as far as implies it should be no shorter than. If it were to imply no wider that it would say "extend no wider than the OE bumper". Just the way I read English.

"As far as" could mean equal in far-ness and no further. Just the way I too read English. See how two people can interpret the same sentence two different ways reading the same language? Wierd, huh? :thinking:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Same structural integrity, is way too an open statement and would have anybody without a stock bumper pulled over. It goes both ways tinfoil and solid titanium both will not have the same structural integrity as the stock one.

Going by the book (MO highway patrol), it states structural integrity means any piece of wood or metal of the same size and strength as originally equipped. Plastic bumper covers do not count, the inner steel bumper is what they consider the OE bumper.

I started this thread, simply to see if anyone had been pulled over for having a stubby bumper or rear bumper removed. Now after rereading my post, I'm asking any member from any state, because I know MO can't be the only state with bumper laws. My plan is to install a stubby front bumper and delete the rear with EVO D-ring mounts and EVO fascia. I know the laws seem to be enforced different from cop to cop. There's cops who drive CJs, TJs, and JKs, then there's the one that drives a Prius.

Sometimes it's just hard to get a point across through text compared to face to face conversation

I know nothing about MO but the Ohio revised code states a bumper must extend the width of the tire track, be a minimum of 4.5" tall, and be suitable to aid in a low speed impact. Clearly this code is not enforced and hasn't been revisited since the 5MPH bumper days.

I run a stubby, and bumperless and (knock-on-wood) haven't had any issues.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I know nothing about MO but the Ohio revised code states a bumper must extend the width of the tire track, be a minimum of 4.5" tall, and be suitable to aid in a low speed impact. Clearly this code is not enforced and hasn't been revisited since the 5MPH bumper days.

I run a stubby, and bumperless and (knock-on-wood) haven't had any issues.

Thank you jnabird333! This is the type of answer I was looking for! Just giving me reassurance. Now hopefully a fellow Missourian will chime in.

Although I am a state inspector, some things in the book I don't agree with. For instance, you don't have to have a seat, but you have to have a working seat belt :idontknow: you can sit on a damn bucket, but you better be strapped in. I don't think our book has been revised since the mandatory law of driver's airbags.

PA CODE § 175.78. Chassis.

(e) Bumpers. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with bumpers of a type used as original equipment, or suitable replacement which is equal to or greater in strength than that provided by the vehicle manufacturer, securely attached to the chassis or frame. See 75 Pa.C.S. § 4536 (relating to bumpers).

(1) A bumper shall be of at least equivalent strength and mounting as the original equipment.

(2) No portion of a bumper may be broken, torn or protruding to create a hazard.

(3) A bumper may not extend beyond the body line or be longer than original equipment, whichever is greater.

(4) A wood plank bumper is permitted on a road service truck or wrecker if it is firmly attached to a regular bumper or equivalent steel backing.

(5) Some part of the main horizontal bumper bar on passenger vehicles shall fall within 16-20 inches above ground level.

(6) Some part of the main horizontal bumper bar on multipurpose passenger vehicles and light trucks shall fall within 16-30 inches above ground level.

Here's what PA has to say about bumpers. Emphasis added.

d90king

Most states have laws on bumper requirements, that said, it will boil down to the cop that you get and how much he / she wants to break balls. At the end of the day, if they want to use that to pull you over they can, but its not common in most states. PA has laws about both bumpers and fenders, (tire can't extend past fender flairs) they aren't strictly enforced, but they do exist. It happens from time to time, but not often.

Reason I ask is that I plan on installing a stubby/shorty bumper and removing the rear bumper in the future. Just don't want any issues with the police.

According to MO

Missouri Revised Statutes

Chapter 307
Vehicle Equipment Regulations
Section 307.172

August 28, 2013

2. Every motor vehicle which is licensed in this state and operated upon the public streets or highways of this state shall be equipped with front and rear bumpers if such vehicle was equipped with bumpers as standard equipment.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3070000172.HTM

Probably not what you wanted to hear but there's no room for interpretation there.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
According to MO

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3070000172.HTM

Probably not what you wanted to hear but there's no room for interpretation there.

Yeah, I just reread it at work today. Unfortunately, it's not what I wanted to hear or read. I'm just wondering how strongly it's enforced. Once again, as an inspector, if it was someone else's Jeep I'd most likely pass it as long as they have the D-ring mounts and fascia. To me, I consider them equal to a bumper, but the police may disagree. I've run roll pans on numerous trucks I've had with no issues from the police, and all the roll pans were is a thin piece of sheet metal. I don't know, thanks for the input, may just have to test my luck and if I have any issues, I guess the D-ring mounts and fascia will end up in the For Sale section of the forum.

...if I have any issues, I guess the D-ring mounts and fascia will end up in the For Sale section of the forum.

That's pretty drastic. I doubt it will come to that. I'd just run whatever you want and let the chips fall where they may. I tend to subscribe to the "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" school of thought though. Don't do anything to attract any negative attention to yourself and you should be fine.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
That's pretty drastic. I doubt it will come to that. I'd just run whatever you want and let the chips fall where they may. I tend to subscribe to the "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" school of thought though. Don't do anything to attract any negative attention to yourself and you should be fine.

That's what I'm thinking. My JK already attracts enough attention in town due to the fact that there aren't a whole lot of modded ones on the streets in my town, most are stock soccer mom Jeeps. Afraid if I ask the local cops if they'd bust me for not running a rear bumper, it'd throw a flag up telling them to keep tabs on me to make sure I have a proper rear bumper. Maybe I'm just over thinking things.

Armydog

I agree you may be over thinking the issue. If you like the stubby front no rear bumper look, then run it. I am running no flares front and rear and have had no (knock on wood) issue to date..

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Top Bottom