Rear Swaybar end links length

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
hey guys. i tore a seal on the rear sway bar links that i have and so i thought why not upgrade them. Also i have a really bad squeak coming from what i think is the rear right end someone, so i am hoping this will also help with the problem.
But my question is: are the rear sway bars suppose to be parallel like the front, or does it not really matter for the rear?
I have added pictures but i don't know if you can really tell where they are positioned now.
Swaybar 1.jpg
Swaybar 2.jpg

Attachments

• Swaybar 1.jpg
    Swaybar 1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Swaybar 2.jpg
    Swaybar 2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 89

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
sorry on the overload of pictures. i tried to edit it since the picture uploaded sideways to start. but apparently i don't know how to do that very well either.

By parallel do you mean the sway bar is parallel to the ground? My rear sway bar is almost parallel and I don't think it matters. I would just make sure your sway bar links are long enough to not limit flex.

JKbrick

I think you want them parallel at a minimum, maybe pointing up a hair so they don't flip down when flexing

Rebel JK

Would an angle more than 5* have an effect on road handling? My rears have between 7-8* negative sloping down towards end links.
Curious how much if any "body roll" feel may be attributed to end link lengths front and back.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
By parallel do you mean the sway bar is parallel to the ground? My rear sway bar is almost parallel and I don't think it matters. I would just make sure your sway bar links are long enough to not limit flex.

yes sorry; parallel to the ground.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I think you want them parallel at a minimum, maybe pointing up a hair so they don't flip down when flexing

my current rear links are pointed down toward the ground. so i should get longer sway-bar links so that they become at least parallel to the ground? also it might not hurt to get a little longer ones for my front? my front are currently parallel to ground.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
0 +/- 5 degrees should work fine. The front is where you have to be careful. Especially if you have a Rubicon/E -disco.

i do have a Rubicon electric disconnect. My front links are currently parallel to the ground. should i get ones that make them point up or i guess + in degree?

i do have a Rubicon electric disconnect. My front links are currently parallel to the ground. should i get ones that make them point up or i guess + in degree?

I'm going to say yes but it's going to depend on travel ie length of shocks.
If you really want to know if you need longer links .... Flex the front axle.
If the link/swaybar arm form a straight line or close (can possibly invert) Lengthen them.

Top Bottom