Auto Trans will not leave PARK (Until it feeeeels like it!)

UNLIMITED_FUN

Increasingly I can;t move the shifter out of reverse.

When I finally CAN, then I can switch to other gears just fine.

Put it back in Park, maybe I can, maybe I can't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the ability to change gears.

After trying, prying, swearing, eventually it just suddenly slides in to reverse as if nothing had ever happened.

Once I get it to reverse or drive, I can hear a slight actuator sound.

I thought there might be a problem with a switch behind the brake pedal, but guess what . . . I can change to reverse without depressing the brake at all.

I've read a few forums and threads about plastic shafts in the handle etc, folks using zip ties or chopsticks.

I'll crawl underneath and have a look, but in the mean time, anyone have any other ideas?

The transmission fluid was just at the safe line so I added 1\2 quart, it's clean looking.

Also this transmission was put in last fall with an alleged 3yr 36k warranty.

Thanks for your suggestions!

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Heard of some early JKs having linkage issues, but that may have been transfer case linkage, don't remember for sure. Could be an issue with the shift lock solenoid.

txjeeplover

Sounds like you need a new shifter assembly. When the key is in the on position, and the brake is applied, a small actuator under the shifter assembly releases the shift interlock mechanism and allows you to shift from Park. When that actuator fails, you experience what you're describing. Unfortunately, you can't buy the actuator without the full shifter assembly.

BTW, there's an emergency release port in the assembly that allows you to release the shift interlock in the event that the actuator fails entirely.

RickyI

A friend of mine had this happen to his jeep and he had it towed to the jeep shop. His was a "Switch" that was going bad that was attached to his brake pedal. I think you have to press down for the switch to release for the gear shift to go into Park or N from "R". I don't remember if his brake light stayed on or not.....

Ricky

UNLIMITED_FUN

I dunno. Maybe, kinda sorta?

There a solenoid below the shift handle and out of sight that moved a yellow 5\8" rod back and forth when you apply the brake.

It looks to me that this sticks due to grunge, and has recently presented as the temperature has become cooler.

After checking everything out and manipulating this the situation has improved.

I'm going to spray it with cleaner and keep an eye on it.

shadow21

Increasingly I can;t move the shifter out of reverse.

When I finally CAN, then I can switch to other gears just fine.

Put it back in Park, maybe I can, maybe I can't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the ability to change gears.

After trying, prying, swearing, eventually it just suddenly slides in to reverse as if nothing had ever happened.

Once I get it to reverse or drive, I can hear a slight actuator sound.

I thought there might be a problem with a switch behind the brake pedal, but guess what . . . I can change to reverse without depressing the brake at all.

I've read a few forums and threads about plastic shafts in the handle etc, folks using zip ties or chopsticks.

I'll crawl underneath and have a look, but in the mean time, anyone have any other ideas?

The transmission fluid was just at the safe line so I added 1\2 quart, it's clean looking.

Also this transmission was put in last fall with an alleged 3yr 36k warranty.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I personally had the same issue. It was my shifter linkage cable it was kinked which caused the shifter to stick.

UNLIMITED_FUN

I'll buy that.

How does one identify kinkage? Was the cable shroud angled somehow? Eyeballing it, the cable seems to set just fine below the console and at the transmission.

shadow21

I'll buy that.

How does one identify kinkage? Was the cable shroud angled somehow? Eyeballing it, the cable seems to set just fine below the console and at the transmission.

My Jeep had 500 miles on it when the cable went bad. The cable looked brand freaking new and I never showed a kink that was visible with my eye. They told me that a plastic grommet had fallen off and cause the kink.

Mine was done under warranty. But the cable is only 65 bucks

UNLIMITED_FUN

I threw on some warm-ups early this morning and went to the only place I knew that sold contact cleaner spray in a can.

After inserting the sprayer in the shift-interlock plastic dooma-hicky, I depressed the brake many times whilst spraying to clear whatever funk was keeping it from extended out.

This helped but it still stuck again once so I sprayed in to that same area with some silicone type spray and actuated the plastic piece over a hundred time.

I hear the distinct click from movement when the solenoid engages and in subsequent tests there's no further sticking.

Then I reassembled the console and knobs and shift lever etc and called it good.

I find that instead of needing to insert a key in to the "stick key here to save your arse" slot, I can just push down a lot on that area of the console and the emergency relief moves the interlock dooma-hicky.

A "feature" presented with fiddling with the console to many times.

UNLIMITED_FUN

You know I was J U S T thinking about that, but no I didn't take any. I had sweat in places I prefer not to mention and was in a hurry to get it done.

I'll see what I can come up with, might take it all apart again one weekend and get pics or a video.

Top Bottom