Trektop NX questions

Sully151

I might be in the market for a new top. My current tops windows are faded beyond belief and the stitching is coming apart. It's a 2008 so I feel like it served me well.

I am looking at the Trektop NX for a change, but have some questions.

1. Is it the same color as the OEM top? Some pictures make it look grey.

2. How easy is it to take totally off? I usually go totally topless all Summer.

3. Does it really take away a lot of cargo space in the back of an unlimited?

Thanks in advance.

FrankenJeeper

I might be in the market for a new top. My current tops windows are faded beyond belief and the stitching is coming apart. It's a 2008 so I feel like it served me well.

Thanks in advance.

I have the original trek top, not the NX, but mine is about the same color as my factory top, and I really haven't noticed much difference in cargo space in the rear. I never really stacked too much stuff straight up in the back so it hasn't hurt me any.

Benito

Caught the Bug

Thanks in advance.

I just installed mine this last weekend. I am not sure if it is the same color as the oem soft top coming from a hard top, but it is definitely not gray, it is black.

I don't think it could be that hard to take it completely off seeing how most of the installation time is installing the brackets and door surrounds and prepping everything else.

The cargo space isn't missed, but it is just weird not being able to open the window as easily as it is with a hard top, and having to hutch underneath it if you do need to get something quickly.

I like mine.

Sully151

The cargo space isn't missed, but it is just weird not being able to open the window as easily as it is with a hard top, and having to hutch underneath it if you do need to get something quickly.

I like mine.

Thanks for the info. I have never had a hard top, so I am pretty used to dealing with the tailgate. I also have a bike rack and a 37' spare in my way!

I do pack it pretty high when we head out camping, but I guess that would give me an excuse to get a trail rack.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Exactly the same. Bestop manufacturers factory tops.

Extremely easy to open up just the sunrider, super easy to pull out the rear windows and covert into a Safari Top and no less difficult to remove than a factory top to go totally topless.

Depends on how full you pack up your Jeep. As you know, I do a lot of camping and have done so with our son and dog and still had enough room for everyone plus a ton of gear. I know there are some guys who need every last square inch of space and if you're like that, yes, you will lose some room.

Ah2014jk

I can't say on an unlimited as I have a 2dr now but the top matched my factory 1/2 doors exactly. Love the look, the same sunrider feature and makes a great bikini.

The drawbacks I found are;

1 the zippers are harder to access since they are more to the top than side so the higher the lift the more difficult to line up and see wen putting the widows back on

2 the side windows don't lay flat when out of the vehicle so bringing them with you is a challenge

Overall I love the top even with the drawbacks mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepFan

Hooked
Depends on how full you pack up your Jeep. As you know, I do a lot of camping and have done so with our son and dog and still had enough room for everyone plus a ton of gear. I know there are some guys who need every last square inch of space and if you're like that, yes, you will lose some room.

Like this guy? :cheesy::cheesy:

Packed.jpg

The Cigarman

I have a 2007 in AZ that I just replaced the oem top with the NX.

I love it.

Your questions:
Q1 yes
Q2 yes but since removing the windows makes it a bikini since the sun rider opens, I don't remove the entire top anymore.
Q3 no, not as far as I'm concerned.

I like this so much that I'm planning to get one for the 2012 I have in PA

It is simpler than the oem top and there is no frame. When you take out the windows there is more open air. It also looks better than the original top and if you shop around on eBay you can pick it up for $50-100 under retail with free shipping and no tax on top of that

Buy it, you won't be sorry.

NAUJK

I have a 2007 in AZ that I just replaced the oem top with the NX.

I love it.

Your questions:
Q1 yes
Q2 yes but since removing the windows makes it a bikini since the sun rider opens, I don't remove the entire top anymore.
Q3 no, not as far as I'm concerned.

I like this so much that I'm planning to get one for the 2012 I have in PA

It is simpler than the oem top and there is no frame. When you take out the windows there is more open air. It also looks better than the original top and if you shop around on eBay you can pick it up for $50-100 under retail with free shipping and no tax on top of that

Buy it, you won't be sorry.

Sooooo what did you do with your OEM top and equipment??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

hbkid22

Question. Anyone with a trektop nx run into any issues with the rear window being 3" short from connecting with the opposite zipper? Just got mine and everything else is good but the rear window seems short.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Question. Anyone with a trektop nx run into any issues with the rear window being 3" short from connecting with the opposite zipper? Just got mine and everything else is good but the rear window seems short.

Can you post a picture of exactly what you mean?

It's a tight fit for sure and laying the top and windows in the sun for a while to help the fabric stretch is the key...

Ah2014jk

Ya I thought that too when I got mine. Make sure the front is hooked but the lathes aren't down and make sure the other zippers are only done up 1 or 2 inches.

Lastly try the to loosen the bottom
Up and where the top goes into the door surrounds then wiggle
The hell out of
It till you get the zippers.

I had to get mine as close as I could and then I had it out in direct sunlight for a few hours. Trust me it fits ( tight as hell but it fits )

hbkid22

Ya I thought that too when I got mine. Make sure the front is hooked but the lathes aren't down and make sure the other zippers are only done up 1 or 2 inches.

Lastly try the to loosen the bottom
Up and where the top goes into the door surrounds then wiggle
The hell out of
It till you get the zippers.

I had to get mine as close as I could and then I had it out in direct sunlight for a few hours. Trust me it fits ( tight as hell but it fits )

Didn't think about the front hooks. I will loosen everything up and try tomorrow. If that doesn't work I will take pics to show what I mean.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug

It will fit, just put it out in the hot sun and don't try to zip it up all the way at once. Once I got my zippers started I let it set in the sun about 30 minutes then zipped it almost all the way and waited about 15 more minutes. Then it should zip the rest of the way, also I didn't take it back off for a few days.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411309749.662006.jpg

O|||||||O
JK🇺🇸

hbkid22

Figured it out. I made the mistake of zipping the side windows all the way and latching them before I started the rear window. Got it on now and letting it stretch for the last couple inches.

Ah2014jk

Figured it out. I made the mistake of zipping the side windows all the way and latching them before I started the rear window. Got it on now and letting it stretch for the last couple inches.

Sounds good
I'm sure you'll like it !

Top Bottom