ACE weld on sliders

Hobolobo

Saw the LoD thread and it got me thinking about a set. I like the fact that the ace sliders work with the rubi rail, but the LoD has a step. Anybody using the ace weld on sliders that can attest to durability, appearance, install, etc.?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the point of keeping your Rubi sliders if you install a set of weld on sliders? :idontknow:

Hobolobo

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the point of keeping your Rubi sliders if you install a set of weld on sliders? :idontknow:

I just like the look. I know they will serve no purpose after the sliders. I just like how they cover up the pinch seam. I'll get rid of them if I cant find a good slider to reuse them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just like the look. I know they will serve no purpose after the sliders. I just like how they cover up the pinch seam. I'll get rid of them if I cant find a good slider to reuse them.

Fair enough and really, to each their own. The two together has always looked silly to me but of course, that's just me :yup:

bkac

Caught the Bug
Saw the LoD thread and it got me thinking about a set. I like the fact that the ace sliders work with the rubi rail, but the LoD has a step. Anybody using the ace weld on sliders that can attest to durability, appearance, install, etc.?

I was in the same boat, I didn't want to get rid of my factory Rubi rails. I went ahead and got the LoD sliders and ditched the Rubi rails. Looking back now, I'm so glad I did and don't know why I put so much thought into it. You will need/like the extra clearance you gain going with something different if you wheel hard. Just my thoughts...

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As far as the pinch seam goes, a little rattle can of black will fix that. At least, that's what I had done :yup:

EDIT: looks like hinrichs beat me to it :D

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I had heard the ACE sliders like to get hung up on rocks and other obstacles due to their design. No real world experience, just what I've seen in other reviews of them.

JAGS

Hooked
Trying to think of the design of the ACE sliders and know the bolt-ons sort of butted up against the rubi-rails. If they were welded on, would you be able to drop the Rubi rails low enough to take them off...even if you wanted to later?

could always just paint the pinch seam black....its easy to hide.

Yup, this! Exactly what I did. Though I also run the EVO rock skins, but I thought the bit of silver peaking out of the bottom looked off. Painted the pinch before the skins went on. But can easily see tapping off a line at the pinch and painting black.

OP... if you're going weld on at this point, why not just go with the EVO sliders? :thinking: Is there that much difference in price/style.

JKWrang

Trying to think of the design of the ACE sliders and know the bolt-ons sort of butted up against the rubi-rails. If they were welded on, would you be able to drop the Rubi rails low enough to take them off...even if you wanted to later?

Yup, this! Exactly what I did. Though I also run the EVO rock skins, but I thought the bit of silver peaking out of the bottom looked off. Painted the pinch before the skins went on. But can easily see tapping off a line at the pinch and painting black.

OP... if you're going weld on at this point, why not just go with the EVO sliders? :thinking: Is there that much difference in price/style.

I think that would be my biggest hang up on this as well - not being able to remove a part that you don't actually need with weld on sliders. If you are determined to keep the rubi rails, I'd get the bolt on sliders just for the ability to remove the rust prone rubi sliders (WTF did Chrysler think it was a good idea to put plastic end caps on something that will likely see road salt and thus eat the cheap bead of silicon, especially when the moisture entry point is FACING THE DAMN WHEEL WELL!!)

Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
As far as the pinch seam goes, a little rattle can of black will fix that. At least, that's what I had done :yup:

EDIT: looks like hinrichs beat me to it :D

^^this!! :thumb:

I ran a set of ACE sliders and now now run EVO.

JKWrang

I don't see the appeal to ACE sliders - they are kind of expensive for what they are, and the EVOs are not that much more expensive.

Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Was bugging me so I looked up the sliders. They are NOT compatible with the Rubi rails if you go weld on.

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 10.25.13 AM.png

Close thread...LOL.

Couple other things to note, no mention of "type" of tubing used (there are different qualities of steel not just thickness) and the price is not that much less than EVO Sliders or the LoD (which can also be welded on if desired).

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I had the ace sliders and rubi rail combo, this is where they are now. Sitting on the picnic table outside. Don't even want to drag them into the garage and take up space. These were level 1 bolt on..Lol

Attachments

• 1411062178669.jpg
    1411062178669.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 66

DA RUNT

It's exponentially stronger than level 1. ACE is better known for level 1 protection. You may recognize a few and even have some currently around the house.

View attachment 100830

It's not know if level 1 is compatible with the Rubi-rails though. :cheesy::cheesy:

I currently run some Ace level one protection. I picked them up at the local tmc this morning for my elbow

Top Bottom