The correct prorock setup

WillWorktoWheel

Hello all! I've come across a decent deal on a Prorock 44 Unlimited front housing for my Jk. Before I drop the coin, I want to make sure it's what I want. It's set up for a Rubi factory locker, but I want to go with an ARB to match my rear end. How much of a hassle/how reliable will it be, if even possible to avoid the rubi locker and go with an ARB if I go with this front housing? Forgive me for the question if it's elementary, but diffs aren't my specialty to say the least. Thanks for any help in advance!

RockyJk

You can get an arb to replace the rubi locker it's not the same as a regular PR tho I think it's smaller

RockyJk

Yea it's just not the same one they use in the regular ARB Pro Rock housings it's a different part number

StrizzyChris

As mentioned, if you want/choose to run one, it will be a JK Rubi version of the ARB locker. The axle can come in many conficurations...stock housing, PR44 standard housing, and the unlimited housing with built in castor. This axle would have the stock housing which would have the JK smaller/weaker ARB locker than the PR44 locker. It's still an ARB and still a good locker, but its not the best. Also you will not have the benefit of the built in castor of the unlimited which is nice in a lifted JK for handling and drive line vibes.

WillWorktoWheel

I see what you guys are saying. It is an PR unlimited housing with the added caster, though. Just set up for a rubi locker. In this case, would I be better off going with a different locker setup? An E Locker perhaps? I'm coming from a built 30 with an ARB, so anything will be better. I do have the compressor and am keeping the ARB in the rear, so with another ARB in the front, it would just be plug n play into the solenoid and compressor. I like keeping things simple and I want to build a strong rig, considering what I've invested so far. I've got the chance to save about $500 by going with this particular housing and the mod budget's just about dry. Lol! It sounds like a good deal, but if it doesn't work, I don't want to be cobbling things together.

jeeeep

Hooked
Hello all! I've come across a decent deal on a Prorock 44 Unlimited front housing for my Jk. Before I drop the coin, I want to make sure it's what I want. It's set up for a Rubi factory locker, but I want to go with an ARB to match my rear end. How much of a hassle/how reliable will it be, if even possible to avoid the rubi locker and go with an ARB if I go with this front housing? Forgive me for the question if it's elementary, but diffs aren't my specialty to say the least. Thanks for any help in advance!

you can use an ARB locker, ARB RD147, 35 spline shafts and is the ARB locker Dynatrac recommends for use with the PR44. The ARB D157 Rubi locker is not recommended for use in the PR44

The "New Generation" D44 uses thicker R&P gears versus the standard D44, all PR44 are setup to use the thicker R&P

Check the tube wall thickness, the PR44 comes in heavy duty which is a 1/2" thickness and standard 5/16" thickness - all 3" tubes

from Dynatrac:

Dynatrac manufactures the ProRock 44 pumpkins in two different configurations. One is optimized for a standard D44 locking differential and the other for the Jeep JK Rubicon electric locker.
The carrier bearing outside diameter is different between the two axles. Also, the electric locker version has two access ports drilled to allow for wiring harness connections to the locker.

Dynatrac is currently manufacturing a version of the ProRock 44 pumpkin which will accept a standard Dana 44 ARB or Detroit locker. You'll need to drill the ring gear bolt holes in the ARB or Detroit to size in order to match the larger ring gear bolt on a JK gear set. The JK uses a 7/16” ring gear bolt. The bolts are available from Dynatrac if necessary. In addition the locker should be a 3.73 and down model. The JK uses a thick ring gear which will correctly mate to the 3.73 and down lockers.

Will a 35 spline ARB work with the ProRock 44 conventional locker pumpkin?
Yes, in order to take advantage of a 35 spline locker in a ProRock 44 you will need a specific combination of locker parts. The standard 35 spline Dana 44 ARB, part number RD-109, is manufactured to fit 3.92 and up gears. It uses 3.92 and up gears which are manufactured in the thin configuration. The JK gears are thick gears and require a 3.73 and down carrier even though the ratio is numerically larger than 3.73. ARB part number RD-117 is a 3.73 and down carrier which is recommended for use in the ProRock 44. However, the RD-117 is a 30 spline locker. In order to use a 35 spline locker you will need the internal parts of a RD-109 in the body of a RD-117. As an alternative to purchasing two lockers and swapping around parts ARB offers a locker with this conversion already setup from the factory. It is the ARB RD-147 and it will fit our conventional style pumpkin with JK gears and 35 spline shafts.
In addition to this there is also a locker being manufactured by ARB which fits into the JK electric locker PR44 pumpkin. This locker part number is RD157. We do not approve this locker for use with OEM stock or Dynatrac JK 44 pumpkins. It will not setup correctly and we have tested it extensively with our ProRock 44 and also the stock JK 44 pumpkins. In both cases the locker fails to setup correctly and we do not recommend its use. The RD157 is not approved for use in JK 44 pumpkins by Dynatrac.

As mentioned, if you want/choose to run one, it will be a JK Rubi version of the ARB locker. The axle can come in many conficurations...stock housing, PR44 standard housing, and the unlimited housing with built in castor. This axle would have the stock housing which would have the JK smaller/weaker ARB locker than the PR44 locker. It's still an ARB and still a good locker, but its not the best. Also you will not have the benefit of the built in castor of the unlimited which is nice in a lifted JK for handling and drive line vibes.

Dynatrac does not recommend the Rubi version of the ARB locker be used in the PR44, see above

StrizzyChris

Dynatrac does not recommend the Rubi version of the ARB locker be used in the PR44, see above

that's good information to have. I've talked with people who've done a direct ARB swap from the stock axle to their PR44. They didn't mention any issues, but clearly Dynatrac would know what is best for their axles. :thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm not sure, but has something to do with the axle shafts. The step down in them.

oh, 30 spline ....I'm not sure why I got 35 spline stuck in my head since the OP never mentioned anything about wanting to go to a 35 spline locker..too many carbs :icon_crazy:

The ARB RD-117 is the 30 spline locker that will accept the thicker gears and is what Dynatrac recommends.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
This may help. I took the quote form a thread I started about RCV axle shafts and PR44. The thread turned into bigger discussion about ProRock options and lockers:

"If you have a stock Rubicon 44F and want to install 35-spline shafts, you must use the RD157. Rubicon 44F housings are unique in 2-ways. The center pin of the Tru-Loc diff is offset to one side, and the Carrier bearings are slightly different size than earlier model 44’s. The RD157 is the only diff I know of that fits the Factory Rubicon Housing (carrier bearings) and has the 35-spline feature. We offer 2 variations of ProRock 44’s. One for Tru-loc factory Rubicon diffs, and one for conventional 44 (everything else) diffs. Think and plan ahead, they are not interchangeable later. The Tru-loc is a great device, but not the most durable. If you’re building a JK with 37’s or larger tires, consider switching to the ProRock, a new aftermarket diff, and shafts to match at the same time. Yes, that is more expensive. If you are a more mild trail guy, and on 37’s or smaller tires, the Tru-Loc in your Rubicon should last the life of your vehicle. Side note. A replacement Tru-Loc diff for your front Rubicon 44F at the dealer will set you back $1,920.00 MSRP. WOW!!

We designed the ProRock 44 to use the RD147 for 35 spline applications, which our tests have shown is a better fit in the housing. ARB is a good proven product, and a good company. Ox, Eaton and Auburn Gear are emerging with new diffs that are electrically activated. We enjoy excellent relationships with all 4 vendors. Each offers advantages. The choice is yours.

Hope this helps y’all."

The entire thread can be viewed here: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?19050-RCV-axle-shafts-or-chromoly-for-PR44

Top Bottom