When is pitman arm needed?

Techno101

Ok so I'm new here and this is my first Jeep. 2009 Wrangler X. Just installed a Rough Country 2.5" lift (coil spacers, shocks, rear track bar bracket). Still running stock 17" wheels and 255 tires for now. My question is, when would a drop pitman arm be needed to correct drag link geometry?

I have an adjustable front track bar to install this weekend and RC steering stabilizer also.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Ok so I'm new here and this is my first Jeep. 2009 Wrangler X. Just installed a Rough Country 2.5" lift (coil spacers, shocks, rear track bar bracket). Still running stock 17" wheels and 255 tires for now. My question is, when would a drop pitman arm be needed to correct drag link geometry?

I have an adjustable front track bar to install this weekend and RC steering stabilizer also.

When you lift it over 3"

rinkishjk

A better option is a raised trackbar mount on the axle, and a draglink flip on the pass knuckle. The dropped pitman arm will put Alot of stress on the sector shaft and u could snap it. Even if u do a drop pitman arm, u still need to address the trackbar angle in relation to the draglink.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Technically, you don't really need one at all. One WITH the addition of a REQUIRED front track bar relocation bracket will help correct your steering geometry and help improve handling but really, you don't even need to be thinking about this until you are sitting at about 3" of lift or more. And, as mentioned, you'd be better off doing a drag link flip/front track bar relocation instead.

Techno101

So even with the adjustable track bar; a relocation bracket would still be required?
Also, rough country suggested the pitman arm starting at 2.5" lift.

2009 Wrangler X
2.5" Rough Country Lift
RC adjustable track bar
RC Steering Stabilizer

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So even with the adjustable track bar; a relocation bracket would still be required?
Also, rough country suggested the pitman arm starting at 2.5" lift.

2009 Wrangler X
2.5" Rough Country Lift
RC adjustable track bar
RC Steering Stabilizer

Anytime you install a dropped pitman arm or drag link flip, you NEED to install a track bar relocation bracket at the same time. It is imperative to keep both the track bar and drag link parallel to each other or else you WILL have handling issues.

Rough County doesn't know what they are talking about. At 2.5" of lift, there isn't enough change in your steering geometry to warrant a dropped pitman arm.

Techno101

Sweet, so if I don't install a drag link flip; I don't need a front track bar relocation piece. Correct?

It has a death wobble only a certain bump in the road at 60 mph. I'm trying to correct it with the track bar first. I'll go after ball joints next if I still have a problem.

2009 Wrangler X
2.5" Rough Country Lift
RC adjustable track bar
RC Steering Stabilizer

kpig

what he said.

Sweet, so if I don't install a drag link flip; I don't need a front track bar relocation piece. Correct?

It has a death wobble only a certain bump in the road at 60 mph. I'm trying to correct it with the track bar first. I'll go after ball joints next if I still have a problem.

2009 Wrangler X
2.5" Rough Country Lift
RC adjustable track bar
RC Steering Stabilizer

Where are you in Louisiana. PM me if you need additional info. I will be installing an EVO drag link flip. You can watch if you like. I'm running 4" EVO plush coils.

Do both or don't do either at all. Like Eddie said though, you won't need a flip kit or pitman arm or trackbar relocation until you get over 3" of lift. Good luck.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Correct.

That's where I would start. Track bar, ball joints, unit bearings.

Techno101

So just an update. The adjustable track bar fixed the Death wobble. Got the 35x12.5s on with 18x9 wheels as well. Handles great but with the oversized spare, and hard top, and the occasional trailer haul, the factory coils sag a bit. Going to install 2.5" lift coils in the rear soon. The spacer kit only has a 1-1/2" spacer so I think removing the spacer and installing a 2.5 lift coil should help?? I've read they are designed for that increase WITH accessories like larger spares, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom