Pre-running Jeep JK

titus7

Im new to the whole jeep/suspension thing. I just purchased my first Jeep/4x4 and even though its already been in the shop for 2 of the 3 weeks that Ive had it, I love and miss it like a bad habit.

I'm not going to be Pre-running my jeep, but I would love to get a suspension setup that can handle running across the wide open desert at higher speeds yet still retain the ability to climb and crawl...and still be as comfortable as I can be.

I keep looking at various setups from:
Offroad Evolution
ICON
Teraflex

Again I'm new to all of this and appreciate any help, pics, stories to help me figure out what I need.

Thanks in advance!!! :D

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Teraflex and Evo should not be in the same sentence.

Might was well compare dog shit to a fine steak

titus7

Dtd from evo mfg. Best there is for what your wanting.

What is Dtd? Is it a complete kit? Will they do the install and what negative effects will it have on any other factory parts? I don't mind spending money for doing it right the first time and I would like to stay under 10k.

On another note I want to run the Method 105 Beadlock wheels if anyone has any pics/stories with them good/bad/indifferent

NAUJK

Teraflex and Evo should not be in the same sentence.

Might was well compare dog shit to a fine steak

They werent in the same 'sentence' they were in the same list :crazyeyes:

Evo Double Throw Down coilovers are what you want.

Ah2014jk

What is Dtd? Is it a complete kit? Will they do the install and what negative effects will it have on any other factory parts? I don't mind spending money for doing it right the first time and I would like to stay under 10k.

On another note I want to run the Method 105 Beadlock wheels if anyone has any pics/stories with them good/bad/indifferent

They are and they aren't a kit.
They have a front
And
They have a rear ( 2 different kits )
And then you need all the "other stuff" like brake lines etc And don't forget control arm either long or short. I don't know the prices where you are but where I am I couldn't do it all under 10grand. ( and I do all my own wrenching )

Keep in mind that if you have stock axles and want to run wide open through the washboards.... Say goodbye to your axles!!

That being said, the onroad and crawling abilities. Will be amazing and the high speed stuff will fly compared to just about anything

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

GCM 2

Double Throw Down (DTD) is a desert/Baja racing term for both a coilover with reservoirs shock and a multi tube bypass reservoir shock at each corner of the jeep. So two high end, race derived shocks at each corner. Only EVO mfg has spent the time, effort and money with King shocks to produce an off the shelf spec'd package design for the daily driver JK, that also plays rough on the weekends. It allows incredible on road manners (think safe city/highway driving and reactions to events in that environment) than also have the ability to head out into the desert and attack open sections with greater speed, wheel travel and control than any other system on the market, and finally still allow low speed rock crawling articulation that keeps wheels where they need to be....hooking up on rocks for traction and not just hanging in the air grabbing at nothing.

The best on the market is the EVO DTD. Period. But it comes at a great premium, and due to its capability, it is a necessity to have the axles to handle the increase in performance.

Last edited:

Hightower

Double Throw Down (DTD) is a desert/Baja racing term for both a coilover with reservoirs shock and a multi tube bypass reservoir shock at each corner of the jeep. So two high end, race derived shocks at each corner. Only EVO mfg has spent the time, effort and money with King shocks to produce an off the shelf spec'd package design for the daily driver JK, that also plays rough on the weekends. It allows incredible on road manners (think safe city/highway driving and reactions to events in that environment) than also have the ability to head out into the desert and attack open sections with greater speed, wheel travel and control than any other system on the market, and finally still allow low speed rock crawling articulation that keeps wheels where they need to be....hooking up on rocks for traction and not just hanging in the air grabbing at nothing.

The best on the market is the EVO DTD. Period. But it comes at a great premium, and due to its capability, it is a necessity to have the axles to handle the increase in performance.

Greg does a great job of explaining why DTD is the kit you are looking for. I just spent a week with 10 plus DTD systems on different JK's with different divers with abilities and DTD is the system for the JK plat form. I am upgrading my rig ASAP to DTD.

chris:rock::rock::rock:

titus7

Hmm well that sounds like the way to go then...so for that system I see the prices just for the setup...but can someone please list what else other than the lift that I need/should buy so that I have reliability and so that it functions the way that it was intended? I was hoping to stay around 10k but it's looking like it's gonna run more around 15k

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hmm well that sounds like the way to go then...so for that system I see the prices just for the setup...but can someone please list what else other than the lift that I need/should buy so that I have reliability and so that it functions the way that it was intended? I was hoping to stay around 10k but it's looking like it's gonna run more around 15k

To do that setup correctly you're looking $50k+.

titus7

Is it possible to start swapping things out and build up to the Dtd system? Like changing a couple of things at a time each month instead of having to buy the whole thing in one shot?

Ah2014jk

Sure you can! There is no need to change everything at once.

Just because you don't have PR 60 axles doesn't mean it won't work.

50+ grand?? What else you adding ???

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The knowledge you possess frightens me a little,lol ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411245276.076439.jpg

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Axles, long arms, wheels, tires and a ton of labor. But I didn't think it was near 50k. :confused:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DTD Front, EVOLever, and DoubleD long arm would cost ~15-16k with install. Good start. Axles + wheels would need to be considered after that.

spinuck

:cheesy:

Everyone wants the best until they hear how much it costs.

Yeah, but that's why so many of us do it over time. Honestly, I think I would lose interest if my Jeep had every part I wanted right now. There's a certain level of joy every time you get a new mod done and get it that much closer to how you envision it.

Top Bottom