EVO Tire Carrier or Genright Carrier

BDP849

Like the title says, I am trying to decide between the two. What one did you go with and why?

The biggest concern that I have is the opening and closing. I have a bad back and do not what to lift my 37 every time I get in the back. I have watched the video on Genrights site and it looks easy to open and close. Those of you with the EVO what's your experience, easy to open, hard to close ect. A video would be great, if not to much trouble.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Dune Crawler

Depends on if your willing to spend that extra cash. Evo carrier is the same price but with the skins its around 300 more. Evo tire carrier looks a lot cleaner and if you like the flush rear lights

Edit: both are solid, so you don't have to worry about that 37 going anywhere. A lot of members run Evo carriers
-Nicco

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
How do you change a 37?

Depending on how well you do the install, you may have to "lift" the EVO carrier about 1/4" to get it seated. I wouldn't call it hard, but I also wouldn't run a tire I couldn't change by myself.

Edit: I've never tried the Genright but I would assume it's not much different.

Last edited:

Dune Crawler

How do you change a 37?

Depending on how well you do the install, you may have to "lift" the EVO carrier about 1/4" to get it seated. I wouldn't call it hard, but I also wouldn't run a tire I couldn't change by myself.

Edit: I've never tried the Genright but I would assume it's not much different.

I was thinking the same thing, but I guess triple A could maybe pull it off if you tipped him extremely well.

-Nicco

BDP849

I have no problems changing my 37, I let gravity do the work😀, honestly my back is not that bad it just acts up from time to time. I really just don't want the hassle of lifting it every time I get in the back.

Sharkey, your comment "if it's installed correctly" I have seen on a lot of posts.
I guess that's my question, how is it not installed correctly, it seems that you install the skins and then bolt the carrier to said skins, I know there is more to it then that. When people do it wrong what exactly are they doing wrong?
I just don't want to make the same mistakes if I go the EVO route, I am leaning toward EVO.

seanb123

I have no problems changing my 37, I let gravity do the work😀, honestly my back is not that bad it just acts up from time to time. I really just don't want the hassle of lifting it every time I get in the back.

Sharkey, your comment "if it's installed correctly" I have seen on a lot of posts.
I guess that's my question, how is it not installed correctly, it seems that you install the skins and then bolt the carrier to said skins, I know there is more to it then that. When people do it wrong what exactly are they doing wrong?
I just don't want to make the same mistakes if I go the EVO route, I am leaning toward EVO.

Speaking for the genright the one bracket has a hole that the bolt can be moved left or right to ensure that you don't have to push down or pull up to get it to close smoothly. Me and my buddy are no geniuses but we able to get it to swing perfectly first try.

BDP849

Speaking for the genright the one bracket has a hole that the bolt can be moved left or right to ensure that you don't have to push down or pull up to get it to close smoothly. Me and my buddy are no geniuses but we able to get it to swing perfectly first try.

Seanb, thanks for the reply. Have you had any long term issues with the Genright, would you do it again if you had the chance for a redo?

seanb123

Seanb, thanks for the reply. Have you had any long term issues with the Genright, would you do it again if you had the chance for a redo?

No issues been happy with it. Would I go evo if possible? Maybe but I have never looked at mine and wished I did. So yes I'd do it again.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

I think the people who have problems don't take the time to set it up correctly. It takes some patience to get the preload right (threads on the end joints) and to figure out where to make adjustments to hit the sweet spot. I've only installed one of these (helped MTG with his) but it took a little trial and error.

Not bad at all, but it's more complex to get it right than a regular bumper-based carrier.

It doesn't just close itself though. You definitely have to "lift" the top joint just a tad to slip it into the bracket. Once closed, it's bombproof.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And I have the word "lift" in quotes for a reason. It's more like a nudge and I think my wife would be fine doing it.

BDP849

I think the people who have problems don't take the time to set it up correctly. It takes some patience to get the preload right (threads on the end joints) and to figure out where to make adjustments to hit the sweet spot. I've only installed one of these (helped MTG with his) but it took a little trial and error.

Not bad at all, but it's more complex to get it right than a regular bumper-based carrier.

It doesn't just close itself though. You definitely have to "lift" the top joint just a tad to slip it into the bracket. Once closed, it's bombproof.

Sharkey thanks for the info. Is seems to me that you could get a lot of up and down adjustment with the Jonny joints on the drives side, to raise the drivers side, thread the top joint in and the bottom out on the passengers side, am I correct I thinking that?

BDP849

And I have the word "lift" in quotes for a reason. It's more like a nudge and I think my wife would be fine doing it.

That's good to know, I can handle a nudge.

But your wife is probably tougher than me😳😳😳.

Again thanks for the information.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Sharkey thanks for the info. Is seems to me that you could get a lot of up and down adjustment with the Jonny joints on the drives side, to raise the drivers side, thread the top joint in and the bottom out on the passengers side, am I correct I thinking that?

Yep, that's basically the process and you want to do it with tire on the carrier.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
are you thinking about weight at all? i only ask because Genright has an aluminum and steel option. the aluminum i believe is about 20 lbs. and the steel is about 40 lbs. I have no idea how much the EVO tire carrier weights. but wanted to throw that out there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Both tire carriers are a good choice. I prefer the EVO if only because I wanted to run their rear quarter panel armor and flush lights. What I can tell you is that with a 37" tire, you will not or at least, should not have any issues opening and closing the EVO tire carrier. A friend of mine has the Genright and opening and closing it is no different. With a really heavy 40" tire, the weight will cause a slight drop when open that will require a slight lift to get it back on the mounts but, little ol' Cindy can do this with ease. I have not tried opening and closing a Genright with a 40 but can't see how or why it would be any different.

BDP849

Both tire carriers are a good choice. I prefer the EVO if only because I wanted to run their rear quarter panel armor and flush lights. What I can tell you is that with a 37" tire, you will not or at least, should not have any issues opening and closing the EVO tire carrier. A friend of mine has the Genright and opening and closing it is no different. With a really heavy 40" tire, the weight will cause a slight drop when open that will require a slight lift to get it back on the mounts but, little ol' Cindy can do this with ease. I have not tried opening and closing a Genright with a 40 but can't see how or why it would be any different.

Eddie, Thanks for the information. I absolutely love the EVO carrier, I was just concerned about opening it. I guess that worry is put to bed, I will order my Carrier in the morning. Thanks again.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I went genright originally cuz I didn't want to do the evo corners...which I have waiting for someday to install. In the end however I noticed that for a 2 door guy who wants to do a stretch....genright is one of the only ones you can still run and cut the rear for the stretch. My latch side bracket is off slightly due to me installing it alone, but it opens and closes so nice now, sometimes the holes for the pins are a little off due to the bushing but its easy to adjust that part with the pin and your done.

JK1

I went with the EVO carrier after smashing my corner coming off a rock. That being said I looked at Genrite and talked with a few people that had owned them and a off road shop here that use to carrier Genrite and asked them why they stopped and his answer was the biggest reason I didnt go genrite. He had their carrier on his jeep and a weld broke so he called them up to see about getting a new one or it rewelded. Keep in mind he was a distributor for them at this time and their answer was sent it back with $$$(cant remember if it was $80 or $180) and we will reweld it and he had to pay shipping. I wasnt happy to hear that and already knew that EVO would take care of me if i had issues.. so at this point it was a no brainer for me.. I guess i base my decision off of one person but if a distributor cant get them to take care of him then i figured i wouldnt stand a chance lol He has since dropped them and wont sell their stuff:beer:

FastZach

I decided to piggy back this thread instead of making a new one.

Looking at these 2 tire carriers to replace the JCR that is on the Jeep now. My question is about the install for the EVO tire carrier. Don't have anytime to do it myself so I'll need to pay someone to do it. How long do you think it would take a good 4x4 shop to do the install? Also, would spray painting aluminum be alright? Thanks

Top Bottom