Future Jeeper... Need some guidance

luckyirishkid7

Hey my names Dan, from So. Cal. Rockacon referred me here. Wanting to get into the Jeep life. Currently have a 4x4 01 F150, but recently grenaded my front diff, popped a cv axle out of place, and tweaked my frame where all the mounting points are for the front diff which some of those are engine mounts. Before that, thought the world of my truck...now its time to get rid of the Ford and get a Jeep! Never owned one, but always wanted one! Truck has been in the shop for over a week getting tweaked back into shape, and since then i have been driving myself crazy looking for a Jeep to purchase!

I want to get a Jeep so I can go where I want to go and have nothing stopping me! I am a avid outdoorsman, and always on those dirt roads, or trails. I am in a bit of a situation though. Since I dont have a whole lot of money to spend, I have been debating whether a 4 door sport/sahara, or a 2 door rubicon would be best for me. I really like the 4 doors because of all the extra room. I really like the rubicons because they are the best on the trail stock. And I dont think there is any way I can get a 4 door rubicon because of my budget. Max spending limit for me is like 17 or 18k. I do realize I can put lockers on the sport/sahara but thats a bit on the expensive side isnt it?

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Would you go with the 2 door rubicon or go with the 4 door sport or sahara?
Any other info on what to look for when buying a jeep would be greatly appreciated!
Keep in mind to that this is gonna be my daily driver, not just a toy.
Thanks

Last edited:

Hobolobo

Hey my names Dan, from So. Cal. Rockacon referred me here. Wanting to get into the Jeep life. Currently have a 4x4 01 F150, but recently grenaded my front diff, popped a cv axle out of place, and tweaked my frame where all the mounting points are for the front diff which some of those are engine mounts. Before that, thought the world of my truck...now its time to get rid of the Ford and get a Jeep! Never owned one, but always wanted one! Truck has been in the shop for over a week getting tweaked back into shape, and since then i have been driving myself crazy looking for a Jeep to purchase!

I want to get a Jeep so I can go where I want to go and have nothing stopping me! I am a avid outdoorsman, and always on those dirt roads, or trails. I am in a bit of a situation though. Since I dont have a whole lot of money to spend, I have been debating whether a 4 door sport/sahara, or a 2 door rubicon would be best for me. I really like the 4 doors because of all the extra room. I really like the rubicons because they are the best on the trail stock. And I dont think there is any way I can get a 4 door rubicon because of my budget. Max spending limit for me is like 17 or 18k. I do realize I can put lockers on the sport/sahara but thats a bit on the expensive side isnt it?

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Would you go with the 2 door rubicon or go with the 4 door sport or sahara?
Any other info on what to look for when buying a jeep would be greatly appreciated!
Keep in mind to that this is gonna be my daily driver, not just a toy.
Thanks

I traded up to a 4 door rubicon recently from a 2 door sport. I love the extra room of the 4 door. You can add lockers to the sport/sahara, but at the end of the day, you'll still be throwing money at a dana 30 front axle that you will probably replace or damage anyways and want to upgrade to a PR44.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
It's not very clear but is it safe to say you are looking at used JK's?

Based upon the damage you said you've done to your truck, you really have me guessing how you are going to use your Jeep.

Are you planning on running fast through the desert? Rock crawling? Both? Of the answer is yes to any of these, it's going to get expensive fast. If not due to the damage you'll do to stock axles and Drivelines, it'll be from putting in quality components to keep up with you. :yup:

luckyirishkid7

no im not gonna go fast through the desert. more for slow 4x4'n, not gonna do anything gnarly, but just want a good 4x4'n jeep to get me places where majority of people would have trouble getting to. Yea been looking at used JK's and rubicons. Main things im looking for is it has to be a 2007 or newer, less then 100,000 miles, hard top, automatic and 4x4.

theres 2 things i keep wondering to myself. and thats if lets say i get the 4 door sport or sahara and i want to get somewhere and i wont be able to because it doesnt have lockers on it then im gonna be wishing i should of got the rubicon. and then lets say i get the 2 door rubicon and i plan on going on a trip and then finding out i need more space to put stuff, then im gonna be wishing i got the 4 door sport/sahara.

I do know if i go with a 2 door rubicon, i can put a cargo roof rack on it and maybe a cargo hitch to put stuff. which is all good in tell it rains or something and i have no where to stick my stuff to stay dry...

How much is it to put some lockers on a sport or sahara? is that something you can do yourself? you dont need any kind of special tools or anything do you?

Tough decisions... driving myself crazy over it haha

Last edited:

luckyirishkid7

oh and i think my truck got so messed up is because i put some cheap autozone cv axles on it, and when i was out in the desert i switched it to 4x4 because i wanted to climb a hill, and as soon as i switched it over i was kinda bouncing on some woops at the same time and i think the cheap cv axles binded and just tweaked everything

Clem319

I think you would be surprised on what a stock jeep can do. Sport or Rubicon. If you are going to do mild trails and hill climbs you should be fine in a sport. I love the look of the two door, but knew I needed the room and did not want to regret my purchase.

However be advised you may not think you are going to upgrade, but you will find yourself working overtime and stashing cash for a bunch of cool stuff.

Top Bottom