PR44, balljoint, Synergy and PSC hydro upgrades and issues

jeeeep

Hooked
it's been about 4 months since my damaged D44 got upgraded to a PR44 with PSC hydro assist and Synergy drag link, track bar and tie rod and ball joints

The PSC was giving me troubles from the beginning and it finally got resolved but honestly I'm not seeing any benefits from stock with 35's and I'm still getting the odd binding but more on this in a bit. I'm hoping once I go to 37's I will notice the benefits of hydro assist, I'll wait to do a 37's assessment before I call it a bad purchase.

The Synergy ball joints that I paid for do not look like any Synergy ball joint I have seen before - I think these are OEM balljoints? anyone recognize the numbers? I'm thinking OEM or Omix-Ada OEM
BallJoint_Top.jpg

I'm not impressed with the synergy track bar and its heim joint, I think this is what's causing the odd binding feeling. I've torqued it 3 times already and just think it's too narrow, I've used blue Loctite but keeps breaking loose and it's already squeaky!
SynergyTrackBarHeim2.jpg
In this photo you can see where it's shiny (top portion) on the spacer where it appears the track bar is actually moving along that bushing and where I think the odd binding feeling is coming from
SynergyTrackBarHeim1.jpg

The Synergy high steer is not setup as such - anyone with a PR44 and high steer flip know what size this is supposed to be drilled out to? I need to flip it as it's hitting the PSC ram
SynergyHighSteer.jpg
PSCRam.jpg
DragLinkHit2.jpg

The tie rod grease caps will not stay in place, anyone else have this issue?
SynergyTieRod.jpg

with all the issues I encountered just with the PSC and the lousy service from the shop that did it - well, that's another issue I'll take up with them.

In the meantime I would like to get the Synergy parts corrected. I am going to buy another track bar with JJ's that fits properly.

Last item I can think of, if I flip the drag link how am I supposed to raise the track bar to keep it parallel? Synergy makes a bracket but not sure if it'll fit with the PR44 and PSC brackets - will I need to remove the PR44 bracket?
PSC_Mount.jpg

Can't say I'm all that impressed with the Synergy components. I guess solid rods have an advantage? but the pinch bolts seem to negate it.

Let the do over begin! :doh:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
are those ball joints even greasable? don't look like synergy either. look like OEM.
I'll agree on the track bar. that FKrod end isn't the greatest. not sure why tons of people claim synergy makes the best steering components.
evo makes a drag link flip kit made for the PR44. you may just need tabs welded for your PSC. factory track bar is plenty good with that set up also.
are the springs on the dust boots messing up? never used them. they look like a hassle. good luck getting all the little details worked out.

jeeeep

Hooked
Synergy recently admitted using the cheap $15 heim joint in their track bars.
This is a better alternative. I haven't looked to see if there was a JJ that works.
FKB-JMXL12T

For tie rod boots using a ram assist
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Low-Misalignment-Tie-Rod-End-Dust-Boot-p-31658.html

I'm not sure who's ball joints those are. That's messed up. Are you sure something's not adjusted/set up wrong with the ram?

i'll try those rod end boots, may make the ram feel more like what I've felt in other rigs using a hydro and without the tie rod flop it may keep the hydro in place enough where it doesn't hit.

The ram is correct - took it to PSC and they had the installer correct his setup. Definitely much better than what it was and I think once I get the synergy gremlins worked out it'll feel/work like it's supposed to.

:beer:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, do yourself a favor, install something like an EVO or AEV drag link flip and just use your factory track bar and RHD drag link that comes with the kit. It's what I run and have been running for a really long time. No, you won't have any fancy joints or a cool name you can drop when people ask about it but, I can assure you that it works and works well. But hey, that's just me.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I agree with Eddie, the factory track bar is actually better. It has rubber on both ends that absorb road bumps and vibrations. Unlike the the synergy which only has one side working twice as hard to soak up the bumps.

jeeeep

Hooked
Honestly, do yourself a favor, install something like an EVO or AEV drag link flip and just use your factory track bar and RHD drag link that comes with the kit. It's what I run and have been running for a really long time. No, you won't have any fancy joints or a cool name you can drop when people ask about it but, I can assure you that it works and works well. But hey, that's just me.

That's what I'm looking at doing, was hoping not to spend more but I'll chalk it up as being in a rush and not listening to that small voice in my head telling me - don't do it.

Actually at first I told him no, no synergy but we were planning to go on a road trip and I took the advice it would expedite the work since it's what they had in "stock". In actuality, they still had to order everything and the time they took to complete it I could've had it done quicker had I listened to myself.

Oh well, should've, could've, would've...my bad for listening to the "expert" installer recommendations.

damn...I was so close to hanging with the cool kids :cheesy:

Buster3479

I'm not wanting to bash Synergy at all. I have a lot of money invested in full Synergy linkages on Beast's PR44 front end. Tie rod, draglink, trackbar, weld on bracket, upper and lower arms.

I too, an experiencing sticky steering, that won't easily return to center. I'm not running hyd assist (yet), and also on 35's. I'm not sure it's the trackbar, but I'm not willing to discount it either. I've been chasing this for 2-3 months, and it's driving me crazy. Even with 7 deg of caster, the steering stays in any position slightly off center you point it; is very "sticky" or "binds".

For giggles I pickle forked off the draglink from the pitman arm last weekend, put Beast's front axle on jack stands, took off the wheels and tires, and tried to pivot back and forth from the draglink. It takes a helluva (technical term) lot of force to move it back and forth, I have to put almost all my weight behind it :eek: There's no one large blaring culprit either. It's the drag from each TRE, the ball joints, and the RCV boots. I do have Dynatrac ball joints but they are broken in well enough that I can rotate a knuckle back and forth easily with all the linkages disconnected. I'm not running a stabilizer right now as it just escalates the issue.

I ordered new TRE's from Northridge yesterday morning to replace them on the draglink and tie rod. I'm actually almost at the point of replacing both with stock, and an EVO half to keep it flipped (I need to call and find out if the EVO kit gives you both halfs, I don't believe it does). At this point I'm also thinking of throwing a stock trackbar in the mix, as I have a welded HD synergy bracket on the PR. I doubt it will be very if any off center.

I'm at a loss. Is there any reason NOT to run the low misalignment tie rod boots? I've always wondered why the Synergy one has so much up and down flop in it, it doesn't seem to need that much to cover all articulation. I wish I had my original TR, DL flip, and TB at this point to try and A to B to A comparison.:hmm:

bkac

Caught the Bug
I called Synergy the other day about the dust boot issues we're having and they told me two options for solving the boot popping off.
1st is to turn both joints in the opposite direction of each other a little and the second it's to call them and have them send you a new stiffer boot to replace the current ones. They are aware of the issue. I'm with you, not a fan of Synergy at all anymore. When I ordered the flip kit I called Northridge and asked for the EVO kit, they then recommend the synergy kit due to the larger size tie rod ends and diameter of the draglink itself. Looking back I wish I would have just said no thanks. Do yourself a favor and go with the EVO kit.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Buster3479

I'm going to order some stock components to try the difference in steering linkage drag. I sold mine off not to long ago. The only thing I have to decide now is to spring extra for "Mopar" over Crown, and if there's even any difference.

Tie rod, Draglink (Evo flip or just pick up a RHD end), and trackbar. Now to figure out how to cancel the order at Northridge I made yesterday for Synergy replacement TRE's and boots before they ship it....

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm going to call Synergy as well. Would like to know what premature wear if any, using the limiting washer will do to the axle or tie rod ends.

I still have my stock track bar since I had replaced it long ago with an adjustable track bar, only other part I would need for the flip is the locking collar and short drag link end

Well, guess it's time to do incremental adjustments and hopefully the culprit will be identified.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you need to order up a new factory track bar, try to get one that is a 2007-10 as they will have clevite bushings on both ends. The newer ones, 2011-up has a clevite on the axle end and a spherical joint on the frame end. This is a nice setup but, they don't seem to last as long. If you're concerned about strength or flex, I can assure you that it seems to be more than enough for Moby with his 40" tires, ProRock 60 and 14" of vertical travel that the EVO DTD provides. They are also what EVO 1 runs and it competes in Ultra 4.

I may have a stock front somebody can have.
Edit: I thought I had a track bar. Still looking. I do have RHD but needs a pitman end joint.

Curious what this steering issue you guys are having. I've been running all synergy and the steering seems fine.... So far.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Curious what this steering issue you guys are having. I've been running all synergy and the steering seems fine.... So far.

If nobody else needs it, I'll take it! Let me know how much you need for shipping to 89701. :)

bkac

Caught the Bug
Edit: I thought I had a track bar. Still looking. I do have RHD but needs a pitman end joint.

I could use the rhd draglink if its avaliable.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom