Front Upper Track Bar Bracket holes ovaled

Flat Top

I've been tracking down some higher speed (70+) bump steer to DW issues. Pretty sure the major problem is tire balance as my 35" Mickey Thompson's are on their last leg. New tires and wheels will be on by the end of the week, but while checking things out I've determined the holes in my upper track bar mount are slightly ovaled allowing a little bit of play.

What's the best fix for this, an upper track bar brace? I don't mind dropping $100 bucks on a brace but only if it's a good fix. There are lot's of options for the axle side bracket but only a few for the frame side that I see.

TIA

spinuck

I know people were saying to swap the OEM metric bolt with a 9/16" shoulder bolt to help eliminate the bolt wearing out the hole of the track bar. I still haven't tried it.

jeeeep

Hooked
you can have a couple of weld washers welded on the bracket or use a upper track bar mount brace

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Best thing to avoid this is a decent torque wrench. Maybe some washers to fix this. Good luck, keep us updated on how you fix this

2011jk

Since its already worn get thick grade 8 tight fitting 9/19 washers or same in weld washers and weld them on them long shank 9/16" grade 8 bolts and cut off the excess.

Rebel JK

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411519955.362871.jpg
As mentioned above, I shit canned the OE metric bolt and went with a longer 9/16" dia. grade 8 bolt. I went with a .25" thick square washer each side for more beef. Changed out bolt when I pressed in new bushings a few months ago. Mine wasn't wallowed out so I haven't welded yet, but next time I have the welder out will get it done for preventative maintenance.

Last edited:

Flat Top

Thanks for the replies and ideas. My welding skills are not sufficient :D to go the washer route but I do like the square plate idea. That gives me a few more options. :2thumbsup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
the washer idea is what i did. my lower trackbar bolt hole was starting to oval out. i brought it to my welding buddy and he welded a washer on. retorqued the factory bolts down to 125 ft/lbs and i have been good since!

Top Bottom