Slabs and TPMS?

DA RUNT

Any of you running the TPMS with your slabs or did you just run standard stems and disable the function. I have the Flashcal so I could just turn it off, wondering which way to go when I mount everything up. :hmm: Thanks.

davantalus

Pardon my ignorance here... Do slabs not accept normal valve stems? If so, why didn't you transfer your tmps stems?

FWIW, I bought some cheap tpms sensors (that work great so far) for my 2013 here when I bought some new wheels:
Set of 4: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDX2MI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
One more: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O3T4SU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those of you with 2012's. They use a different tpms frequency system though (I vaguely recall reading).

(Also, you must be crazy if you don't love TPMS. It's helped me out so many times... including today when I identified a slow leak.)

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Going old school on mine. Just the ones they came with and already turned it off.

DA RUNT

I'd go without TPMS, and stick with the tried and true manual way:thumb:

Hey, You gave me your 400th post :rock:

Pardon my ignorance here... Do slabs not accept normal valve stems? If so, why didn't you transfer your tmps stems?

FWIW, I bought some cheap tpms sensors (that work great so far) for my 2013 here when I bought some new wheels:
Set of 4: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDX2MI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
One more: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O3T4SU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those of you with 2012's. They use a different tpms frequency system though (I vaguely recall reading).

(Also, you must be crazy if you don't love TPMS. It's helped me out so many times... including today when I identified a slow leak.)

They accept either. I have a set of standard valve stems and a set of the Jeep sensors. Just trying to gauge what others are doing and any issues they may have had. Haven't mounted any of them yet.

Going old school on mine. Just the ones they came with and already turned it off.

I'll probably go this route as well, even though on the 13+ models the pressure readout on each tire is pretty cool :blush:

StrizzyChris

With the 13's you can shut off the TPMS or set the threshold to the lowest readable setting which is 20 or 25 psi. The problem is that the TPMS alerts when you are within 6 or 8 psi of your low setting.

I had my tires set right around 28-30psi and the TPMS threshold set at the lowest limit(20-25 psi), and my TPMS alert was always light up. I ended up shutting it off and when I got my slabs I installed basic valves.

DA RUNT

With the 13's you can shut off the TPMS or set the threshold to the lowest readable setting which is 20 or 25 psi. The problem is that the TPMS alerts when you are within 6 or 8 psi of your low setting.

I had my tires set right around 28-30psi and the TPMS threshold set at the lowest limit(20-25 psi), and my TPMS alert was always light up. I ended up shutting it off and when I got my slabs I installed basic valves.

Good to know, thanks Chris

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i havent had the tpms installed since i switched out my stock wheels. in my chamber pros i didnt bother putting them in either. just turn the system off and your good to go

Coloradan

This is the same experience I had with mine. I really liked the readout on the dash so I kept my TPMS in the slabs. With a Procal I had mine set at 28 and the alert is as low as it can go at 22. The stock sensors don't seem to be very accurate below the stock tire pressure ranges because my alarm goes off pretty frequently. Sometimes I just need to drive around for a bit before it realizes that I have 29 psi instead of 17 in two of my tires. My advice would probably be to switch them into your slabs, see if you like it, and you have a flashcal so you can always turn it off later.

DA RUNT

This is the same experience I had with mine. I really liked the readout on the dash so I kept my TPMS in the slabs. With a Procal I had mine set at 28 and the alert is as low as it can go at 22. The stock sensors don't seem to be very accurate below the stock tire pressure ranges because my alarm goes off pretty frequently. Sometimes I just need to drive around for a bit before it realizes that I have 29 psi instead of 17 in two of my tires. My advice would probably be to switch them into your slabs, see if you like it, and you have a flashcal so you can always turn it off later.

Hell, I have a spare set of the sensors. Yeah I'll just throw em in and disable it if it gets annoying or doesn't act right. Thanks

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I have TPMS sensors in my 14. I also use the AEV procal to set the threshold to 22psi. My tires are at 28psi for 2k miles since install without issue. IMO it's fantastic to have the reading on the dash.

Flat Top

Hell, I have a spare set of the sensors. Yeah I'll just throw em in and disable it if it gets annoying or doesn't act right. Thanks

I've got 3 of 5 Slabs mounted thus far and this is the route I'm going as well. My thoughts are if I have the feature and it does not become a annoyance why not use it.

BTW, Mel's video for mounting tires on Slabs (37" Trail Grapplers for me) is fantastic! Great help! :clap2::clap2:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I feel if I had the individual read out like the newer ones I think I would have kept the sensors....but the 12s just had the light so I ditched them.

I did not install mine for no other reason then I was to lazy to take them out. Disabled it on the dash and now one less thing to deal with when they fail.

DA RUNT

I have TPMS sensors in my 14. I also use the AEV procal to set the threshold to 22psi. My tires are at 28psi for 2k miles since install without issue. IMO it's fantastic to have the reading on the dash.

Good to hear it's working for you, yeah I like the little read out on the dash. Pretty cool

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I picked up a set of 5 new sensors (56029398AB) from Amazon for around $80 for my Raceline Monsters. I used the ProCal to set threshold @ 18 psi on my 2014 (found pics of older AEV instructions via Google). Had the TPMS light, but disconnected the battery for about an hour to reset the dash. I have found the individual readings on the dash to be rather accurate. The sensors are tucked enough, that I don’t foresee any problems airing down. If I do trash them though, I’ll just remove them and disable the system.

wwood

Just to confirm what others have said, on my 2013 I put the factory TPMS sensors in my slabs and they work great. Tire pressure (35s) is set at 28psi and using Procal I set the lower limit to 22psi. The dash light never comes on and the individual dash readings are very accurate. I love the TPMS dash readings. Ran over a nail way out in west Texas in my 2004 Dodge Pickup which did not have TPMS. The slow leak finally caught up with me but by then the tire was trashed and I was stuck over 100 miles from the nearest town. TPMS would have alerted me to the leak and I probably could have stopped somewhere along the way.

Top Bottom