refurbishing a used Winch

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
hey guys. i recently picked up a used Warn winch and am thinking about trying to refurbish it and make it look a little less used. I was hoping to possible paint it black as well.
Was wondering if you guys have any tips or ideas on what would work best? i was thinking about just giving it a really good cleaning and getting a black oil based paint to repaint it; any thoughts?
winch2.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
There was a thread where a guy refurbished the same winch. Came out really nice. I'll try to find it later.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
There was a thread where a guy refurbished the same winch. Came out really nice. I'll try to find it later.

of course there was another thread :banghead: haha.
That would be awesome if you could find it. My GF is out of town this weekend so i am in need of a good project (aside from what she told me i need to do while she is gone).

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Wow he did a really nice job on that! What are the chances of it being the same Winch. Thank you so much for tracking this down for me!

No problem. I remembered that thread and how nice it came out. Figured you could use some inspiration. Post up pictures if how yours turned out.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
No problem. I remembered that thread and how nice it came out. Figured you could use some inspiration. Post up pictures if how yours turned out.

i got a lot to do this weekend so i hope to get it done. but i will post the pics and hope that it will come out at least close to what his ended up.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug

Thanks for the help with finding the link. I was able to get in contact with him and he gave me advice on what to do. This is how mine turned out. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412025236.864788.jpg

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Did u need a primer, strip the old paint off or just spray this on over the old paint? How many coats?

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Did u need a primer, strip the old paint off or just spray this on over the old paint? How many coats?

no i didn't prime it. I took Tim's advice. all he did was prep it a little by using 100 grit sand paper. don't trying and take off the original paint coating, just roughing it up a little so the layers of paint would stick.

If your going to use bed liner don't paint the Winch drum with it since it lays on a rough textured surface it might damage the winch line if your using synthetic rope. i just used a mat black epoxy paint for that.

as far as painting the winch, start off with a couple coats of just lightly covering it. Tim told me he did about 5 or 6 coats. i think i did just about the same but i lost count. however, just do enough that it coated pretty well and even.

let me know if you have any other question or reach out to Tim, im sure he is more than happy to help as well.

You inspired me!!! Here's mine at the start ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412305372.209653.jpg
7 min in
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412305406.295986.jpg
I think I am going to round the edges just a bit on the inside of the drum. I tore up my synthetic line pretty good last time I used it.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
You inspired me!!! Here's mine at the start View attachment 103447
7 min in
View attachment 103448
I think I am going to round the edges just a bit on the inside of the drum. I tore up my synthetic line pretty good last time I used it.

i used my dremel on the drum and smoothed everything out that felt like it would possible catch on the synthetic line. I had fun doing this project!

By the way i saw your in Utah. where about are you located there?

Top Bottom