3.8 no power in the mountians

Brutisjk

I realize the the 3.8l does not have any power, but I just drove all the way from Michigan to Colorado and once I hit the first hill in Denver it was like nothing. It kept down shifting and hitting 5000 rpms just to hold 40-45 mph and OD was turned off. As far as setup on the Jeep it has 35" Toyo AT II running 5:13 gears, I have used a AEV Procal to match the tires and gears. It also has a replacement K&N air filter and flowmaster muffler because Michigan salt liked to go through them quickly. I am not sure if that would cause problem with ECU. It suxed I had to rent a car to go over to Aspen and Vail. It's done fine crawling around on the trails i have gone on. Has anyone else experience this issue? Or is just the nature of the beast. I was going to go for a prorock 44 but I am thinking the engine needs a swap first now.

socalsailor88

I didn't really have that problem when I drove through the Rockies coming from Nebraska to California but I wasn't really checking my speed thought I was going to wreck in a really bad blizzard

Sent from my SM-G900T using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I realize the the 3.8l does not have any power, but I just drove all the way from Michigan to Colorado and once I hit the first hill in Denver it was like nothing. It kept down shifting and hitting 5000 rpms just to hold 40-45 mph and OD was turned off. As far as setup on the Jeep it has 35" Toyo AT II running 5:13 gears, I have used a AEV Procal to match the tires and gears. It also has a replacement K&N air filter and flowmaster muffler because Michigan salt liked to go through them quickly. I am not sure if that would cause problem with ECU. It suxed I had to rent a car to go over to Aspen and Vail. It's done fine crawling around on the trails i have gone on. Has anyone else experience this issue? Or is just the nature of the beast. I was going to go for a prorock 44 but I am thinking the engine needs a swap first now.

That's one of the drawbacks of 5:13 gears, with OD you hit the higher rpms sooner and lose speed but great for trail use.

I have a 3.8, 35's with 4:88 gears and make the trip along 1-70 through that area several times a year. I can maintain 60 (OD locked out) but in a couple of areas the grade is just steep.

I used to push it at 65 but with the high rpms I decided a little slower was better.

I have Superchips with performance tune, Performance Distributors coil and wire, Dynomax catback, CAI and noticed my RPM's dropped a little at the same speeds versus the stock setup.

Brutisjk

I think a motor swap, maybe my next option. But I need to do a lot of research, because this I will attempting this myself with help from some friends most likely. It looks like jeep speed shop has the cheapest kit for a 5.7 hemi. Does anyone have experiences with any hemi kits?

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
You've got the right gearing or near enough for your rig. Short of a big American V-8 or risking some kind of puffer on your 3.8 there's not lots you can do. There's no air to work with. Even my 3.6 with 4.10's and stock tires has to have its tail twisted to maintain legal speeds in the mountains. My vote would be for cubic inches. Good luck!:thumb:

HansSolo

I have 37's and 5:13's and I drive to work in the mountains each day. My Jeep does just fine. I also have a AEV Procal tuner to help the computer figure out what's going on too.

Casa

Our 2011 4 door has 37", 5:13 & RIPP supercharger, we runaround the Rockies all the time and the SC really helps. It's not big block power but also not near as expensive

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brutisjk

I just wonder if it's because I have 5:13 and 35" and that if I had 37" tires it would make my gears seem more like 4:88. I called Trail jeeps and they suggested it could be some kind of drive line drag issue. I used a procal to calibrate everything seems to be fine.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I just wonder if it's because I have 5:13 and 35" and that if I had 37" tires it would make my gears seem more like 4:88. I called Trail jeeps and they suggested it could be some kind of drive line drag issue. I used a procal to calibrate everything seems to be fine.

i have 5.13's, 35's, and auto tranny currently and have no issues. when i climb up long hills i lock out O/D that way im not shifting a lot

Brutisjk

I have no problems in Michigan, or some of the longer hills in Iowa. It was really bad between Denver and Eisenhower tunnel. I was in third and would just loose all power down to like 35 mph and then kick down to first to get back up to speed. I had the tranny looked and it seem to be fine.

Rubilicious

Try dragging a trailer...actually, don't really try that...

I have no problems in Michigan, or some of the longer hills in Iowa. It was really bad between Denver and Eisenhower tunnel. I was in third and would just loose all power down to like 35 mph and then kick down to first to get back up to speed. I had the tranny looked and it seem to be fine.

I had the same issues when driving through the same route...except that i was pulling a camper. Be very careful if you have the 3.8L engine because your coolant boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes...we all know how toasty the 3.8L likes to get...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I had the same issues when driving through the same route...except that i was pulling a camper. Be very careful if you have the 3.8L engine because your coolant boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes...we all know how toasty the 3.8L likes to get...

Because of how toasty it gets I actually used my flashpaq to turn my fan setting down to lower temps so it would kick on sooner. Not sure if it helped at all but it makes me feel better lol

jagerhelix

Nature of the beast. I run 5:13s also, and on steep hills and passes throughout Colorado I suffer. Not much you can do short of a SC or a swap. The altitude just kills the 3.8. Once you accept that what you lack on the freeway you gain 10fold on the trail its much easier to deal with:p
Sent from my Nexus 10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom