Some Leaks & Death Wobble

tonytony9

Hey Forums,

I have an encountered some issues which I want to pass by you. Since I am very short on time I'm gonna past a text message I sent by dad describing the problem directly into here. Hope it makes sense

"Ya that sounds good thanks. What happens is when I am around 50-55 miles per hour it starts to shakes a little bit until I get up too about 60. Then when I hit the brakes slowly from about 55 until Idk maybe like 50 or 48 I feel vibrations in the steering wheel, kinda like it's shaking. It's basically the feeling u get right before u get death wobble. Basically I have to kinda pump the brakes a little, like decelerate until I feel the shake, let off and hit the brakes again then once I'm down to about like 47 or 45 it slows smoothly and everything."

This situation leads to death wobble often if I keep it at the speeds I described for too long. So going around turns can be scary because I have to go a certain speed or it will start to shake a lot.

After checking under the vehicle I noticed two things:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411930280.224401.jpg
Stabilizer seems like it is leaking hydraulic fluid.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411930311.545979.jpg
Differential cover seems like it has some fluid build up around the edge of it.

What do you guys believe is wrong? Give me some feedback please!

It's a 2008 jeep wrangler unlimited X with about 111k miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Your steering stabilizer won't cause dw.
But you probably have lose our worn parts somewhere. Check the torque with a torque wrench on your track bar and control arms first.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Another interesting story that probably isn't the case, but I helped a friend change his front brakes on his Pontiac grand am recently, I had him put his tires on while I was putting away my tools. He's a big guy and when I came back I watched him putting all his weight on the lug nuts. We're talking 300 ft pounds of torque on those baby's. I asked him wtf he was doing. He said he like his tires on tight. Required torque was 95 lbs.
Long story short, he warped his rotor over tightening his lug nuts and every time he touches his brakes his wheel shakes like death wobble. So I'm a firm believer in tightening bolts to the required torque. Too loose or over tightening stuff can damage parts.
Like I said, probably not relevant to your situation, but just be aware that improper torque can have adverse affects on a vehicle and cause shakes.

Last edited:
you've got 111k miles, have you changes ball joints, wheel bearings, checked your bolt torque or the mounting hole on the track bar make sure it isn't loose or ovaled out?

With that many miles, you probably have some parts worn out.

this will run you through on checking the most common issues

http://wayalife.com/content.php?124...s-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it

X2

His description sounds tire/wheel related. How does the tread look --uneven ?
Worn parts - bad alignment - uneven tire wear = shaking.

Top Bottom