Big 3 Upgrade

steve_r2

Hi,
Has anyone done the "Big 3 Upgrade"?
Is it worth it if running dual batteries ?
If so are there any good write ups on it for 2007-2011 JKU ? and any recommendations for kits to do this ?
Cheers

pastorwug

Hi,
Has anyone done the "Big 3 Upgrade"?
Is it worth it if running dual batteries ?
If so are there any good write ups on it for 2007-2011 JKU ? and any recommendations for kits to do this ?
Cheers

Still using your OEM alternator?
What kind of Stereo AMP needs this that you have?

Seems like a waste of money to me on a Jeep unless you're a STEREO nut.

steve_r2

Still using your OEM alternator?
What kind of Stereo AMP needs this that you have?

Seems like a waste of money to me on a Jeep unless you're a STEREO nut.

Hi Pastor,
Yep stock alternator....not a stereo nut....just a nut !!
Only reason of thinking was due to extra electrics, fridge, winch, CB, lights etc so getting a cleaner power delivery from the alternator.
If not to worry then I wont !! :blush:

pastorwug

Hi Pastor,
Yep stock alternator....not a stereo nut....just a nut !!
Only reason of thinking was due to extra electrics, fridge, winch, CB, lights etc so getting a cleaner power delivery from the alternator.
If not to worry then I wont !! :blush:

There are quite a few guys (and gals I suppose) that use an incredible amount of electronic accessories like an ARB fridge, winch, better stereo, CB radio, Ham radio, 12v plug in stuff, inverters, LED lights, etc and keep their original alternator.
If I was to replace my alternator I'd probably look into getting the upgrade to the welding alternator - expensive but ultra-useful on the trail with a break.

Happy Jeeping!

Rccrwlr

Never thought of just replacing these cables to get more current. Guess it makes sense but really if you need more power, add more power.

--rccrwlr.

utiadam

LOSER
I have done the big 3 upgrade on mine using all 0 gauge wiring. It was fine before the upgrade and was running a constant 13.8v or so according to the aeroforce gauge. After completing the big 3 the jeep is staying right around 14.2v. It seems to have really evened out the operating voltage which is nice. If I have the stereo really cranked up it will only drop to 13.6 on really heavy bass hits and then bump up to 14.9-15v for a split second.
View attachment 102905
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412023268.274923.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412023297.600250.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412023324.020496.jpg
I am also running 2 JL Audio amps which are right around 1400 watts.

steve_r2

I have done the big 3 upgrade on mine using all 0 gauge wiring. It was fine before the upgrade and was running a constant 13.8v or so according to the aeroforce gauge. After completing the big 3 the jeep is staying right around 14.2v. It seems to have really evened out the operating voltage which is nice. If I have the stereo really cranked up it will only drop to 13.6 on really heavy bass hits and then bump up to 14.9-15v for a split second.
View attachment 102905
View attachment 102906
View attachment 102907
View attachment 102908
I am also running 2 JL Audio amps which are right around 1400 watts.

Cheers Uti,
And thanks everyone else

Steve

Top Bottom