TPMS Sensors banded inside rim

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
So after smashing a valve stem on the rubicon I went looking for a replacement. I know most people will say just ditch the TPMS but I like it and it's good if my wife is driving and ever gets a flat or low tire. A new TPMS sensor was $80 at the dealership or I could replace all 5 with aftermarket ones (apparently they don't play well together). Then my local tire shop suggested banding the senors inside the rim and running a standard rubber valve stem that will flex out of the way when wheeling (this would cost $100).
No need to replace the damaged valve stem since the sensor still works.

Anyways I thought I would share since it seemed like a great way to keep TPMS and not have to worry about smashing the aluminum valve stems.

Before with smashed stem
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412104150.648016.jpg

Getting the band on and sensor installed
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412104290.955427.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412104308.149662.jpg

New flexible rubber valve stems with sensors safely inside the wheel
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412104496.484556.jpg

Now I never need to worry about the valve stems offroad and can still have my TPMS :thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Did they buy the banded sensor or make it? I ask because it doesn't look that great. I know they sell the banded sensors and they look good and won't throw off the balancing too much.

If you air down too much you might run into issues with that setup but chances aren't as high.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Did they buy the banded sensor or make it? I ask because it doesn't look that great. I know they sell the banded sensors and they look good and won't throw off the balancing too much.

If you air down too much you might run into issues with that setup but chances aren't as high.

They reused the factory sensors and mounted them to a bracket that came with the bands. Also since I never air down more than about 12psi I don't think I should have any issues.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Also why did they leave the valve stems on the sensor, you only need the black molded part.

I believe that these specific brackets are using the valve stem part to mount the sensor. I didn't have a lot of research in this project it was just going on the tire shops recommendation and what they have used.

I think it's going to work just fine for me. As far as I'm concerned if it gets the job done and I don't have to worry about anymore then it's a done deal

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Would this work? Just remove all and place them all in side spare tire? Then just replace the ones you run all time with rubber ones?:idontknow:

bkac

Caught the Bug
I have put them in a pvc pipe I made with a valvestem to regulate the pressure and placed it under the passenger seat. Worked great.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Would this work? Just remove all and place them all in side spare tire? Then just replace the ones you run all time with rubber ones?:idontknow:

The OP wanted to keep the TPMS system working as designed. Putting them in the spare won't do anything if one of the primary tired goes low.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
They reused the factory sensors and mounted them to a bracket that came with the bands. Also since I never air down more than about 12psi I don't think I should have any issues.

You won't have issues, we use this setup at work when we mount rubber bands on 24"+ wheels. Some of them, by design, won't let you mount the sensor in the stem hole on the wheel because the tire sidewall is too short. So we band them just like your tire shop did.

Top Bottom