Jeep exhaust that doesn't drone?

trailless

Caught the Bug
I have a 2014 JKU and I put on the Dynomax Competition Evolution Exhaust on earlier this year. While I enjoy the sound above 1500 rpm, I'm beginning to hate the drone at anything below 1500rpm... It's rather loud and while running naked it can get to be a bit too much sometimes. I find myself accelerating harder to get above 1500 rpm.

So my question is. What exhaust is there that doesn't drone but is still louder than stock?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I'm happy with my aFe exhaust. It sounds almost like stock at that RPM level, but definitely has more volume at higher RPM's. Definitely doesn't "drone".

cmireles

I have a 2014 JKU and I put on the Dynomax Competition Evolution Exhaust on earlier this year. While I enjoy the sound above 1500 rpm, I'm beginning to hate the drone at anything below 1500rpm... It's rather loud and while running naked it can get to be a bit too much sometimes. I find myself accelerating harder to get above 1500 rpm.

So my question is. What exhaust is there that doesn't drone but is still louder than stock?

Send me a pm when you're ready to sell the dynomax exhaust 👍

trailless

Caught the Bug
Send me a pm when you're ready to sell the dynomax exhaust 👍

When I go to sell it, I'll let you know. I'll charge you for a six pack, for when I take the exhaust off, and shipping. :D

I added a Dynomax super turbo in the stock resonator location in front of what essentially the EVO comp round can and I don't have any drone at all. It's mentioned in this thread.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=17297

That's something to think about. I have the stock exhaust in my garage. Maybe i can get a shop to add in the resonator.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

How many miles have you put on the exhaust? I ask because I originally hated the drone of my Dynomax system, but after about 5k miles I no longer have any at all. It also sounds better than when originally installed.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Its definitely better now than when I first put it on, maybe 8000 miles ago. With the doors on and the soft top up, it really doesn't bother me much. Its when I running naked is when I really have a problem with it.

I usually cruise around 40-45mph, speed limit, on my daily commute and with 3.73 gears I'm sitting right around 1500 rpm....
I do love the sound when I stomp on it :D even the "farting" has grown on me!

thardy

Banned
If I'm not mistaken, the Evo system runs short of the axle, correct? If so, that's a lot of your issue. If it was ran out the back, it would be much better.

Sent from the Wayalife mobile app

nicholsmf

The AFE I have sounds decent for a 6 cylinder and it doesn't drone at all.

JayKay

Caught the Bug

I PMed dynomax a while back about the evolution system because I was concerned about exhaust fumes entering the passenger compartment if the the Jeep was sitting idle for an extended period of time (in the garage warming up in the winter). They said they haven't had any issues, but told me if I installed it and had any problems, I could add a TAILPIPE which they have a part # for. It would turn the system into their RockCrawler setup. As others have said, adding a tailpipe that exits out the rear may solve your problem and probably be cheaper than buying a whole new system.

Coloradan

I PMed dynomax a while back about the evolution system because I was concerned about exhaust fumes entering the passenger compartment if the the Jeep was sitting idle for an extended period of time (in the garage warming up in the winter). They said they haven't had any issues, but told me if I installed it and had any problems, I could add a TAILPIPE which they have a part # for. It would turn the system into their RockCrawler setup. As others have said, adding a tailpipe that exits out the rear may solve your problem and probably be cheaper than buying a whole new system.

So you have that part number? Could be useful for emissions testing

JayKay

Caught the Bug
So you have that part number? Could be useful for emissions testing

I don't, cleaned out my inbox :( I'm still running my stock exhaust. When I Messaged Dynomax, I was planning for the future. I've had other mods that are more important to me than upgrading my exhaust right now. I'm sure if you message them, they'll be glad to get the number to you.

Coloradan

I don't, cleaned out my inbox :( I'm still running my stock exhaust. When I Messaged Dynomax, I was planning for the future. I've had other mods that are more important to me than upgrading my exhaust right now. I'm sure if you message them, they'll be glad to get the number to you.

No worries. They've been awesome so far, I'll have to just email them at some point before I need to get my emissions tested.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
No worries. They've been awesome so far, I'll have to just email them at some point before I need to get my emissions tested.

They still put the probe in the tailpipe in Colorado? Missouri hasn't done that in 7+ years. We plug into the OBD port

trailless

Caught the Bug

Just for reassurance. I can only smell exhaust fumes during a cold morning start, backing up and running naked. And that's just for a couple seconds and very faint. Other than that, I can't smell any fumes.

Also, thanks for everyones input. I may just cut up my stock exhaust and piece together a pipe that runs out back.

Coloradan

They still put the probe in the tailpipe in Colorado? Missouri hasn't done that in 7+ years. We plug into the OBD port

Ha ya, I guess we're slightly behind the curve on that one. They won't test you unless your exhaust exits out from under the vehicle

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Ha ya, I guess we're slightly behind the curve on that one. They won't test you unless your exhaust exits out from under the vehicle

Yeah they loved me when I'd pull up in my slammed Sonoma in high school, had the exhaust dumped in front of the axle. They had to crawl under it to stick the deal in the tailpipe. We didn't have a tailpipe rule

twoxstreem

I finally went with the AFE 2.5 SS Cat back with the 22" muffler and then added the vibrant ultra quiet resonator after the muffler/before the axle. there is plenty of room on the 4 door.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_ne...el=Wrangler&year=2012&engine=3.6L&&brandID=63

http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141-Ultra-Quiet-Resonator/dp/B000E3VHWI

It has a nice rumble at idle, throaty tone under acceleration and no drone.

I originally had the same AFE kit with the 14" muffler and it sounded like straight pipes on a little drag car like. I don't think that option is available from AFE any longer.

cmireles

When I go to sell it, I'll let you know. I'll charge you for a six pack, for when I take the exhaust off, and shipping. :D

That's something to think about. I have the stock exhaust in my garage. Maybe i can get a shop to add in the resonator.

Sounds like a pretty solid deal to me!

Top Bottom