Coilovers and stock rear axle with factory harness

bkac

Caught the Bug
I have the 12 inch bolt on coilovers and a stock Rubi 44 rear axle. I really don't want to cut the factory locker and speed sensor wires in order to make them long enough at full drop but I don't think I have another choice. Has anybody else had these issues with this setup? I've done everything I can to make them as long as possible. They're OK when the axle is flexing one side at a time but if I put it on a lift or if I were to be high centered and the axle was at full drop the wires would be too short. I really don't want to cut the factory harness but i will if needed. Is this common for this set up?

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd look for the connector ends and make an extension... I don't think I'd want to cut them either.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Never had any problem with my wiring harness back when I was running this setup. Just separate the harness from the frame and re-route it.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Like Eddie said, just un clip your wires and the locker one on the diff. Did you extend your diff breather hose yet?

bkac

Caught the Bug
I have already pulled all the clips and even pulled the locker clip off the differential. The locker wire is plenty long. its the wire that goes to the speed sensor fort the ring gear. There is a wire harness on top of the frame that I popped all the clips on and it's completely pulled as tight as it can. I wonder if this is something new on the 2014 models. It's about 2 inches too short and thats with no slack and everything pulled as tight as possible without any factory clips left in place. Idk.. For this weekend I'm just going to unplug the sensor until i can look more into it. I'll try to post some pictures later. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Roscoj

Haven't noticed the issue on my 14. Although you probably have more travel. I have used these guys a lot for connectors and extenders. I usually take a picture and give some dimensions. Might want to give them a try if you can't get the length you need.
www.aeromotive.us

bkac

Caught the Bug
I un-clipped as much as I could and double checked everything and at full drop the wiring harness is super tight but doesn't seem to be effecting anything. After that I really didn't mess with it any more.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I un-clipped as much as I could and double checked everything and at full drop the wiring harness is super tight but doesn't seem to be effecting anything. After that I really didn't mess with it any more.

Honestly, while I was still running that setup, I never had any problems. I seriously doubt you will either. :)

StrizzyChris

If you are talking about where the wiring harness attaches near the rear exhaust heat shield....then yes I released the small clip holding it in place. After that I have fully articulated the rear axle a TON and while there is not a lot of excess slack, there's enough slack there to not cause damage or for it to go completely taut.

TomRalph

the 2015's Rubi's locker wire goes into a much larger bundle as soon as it gets to the frame (near the heat shield), I cut all the clips I found and it is still tight on mine even with 10" travel shocks

bkac

Caught the Bug
I think it changed in 14, everyone kept posting that they had no problems but they all had 13 and older models. I think the wiring harness might have changed. I have all the slack I can get out of mine before I get to that big connector that splits off in several different ways and with the coilovers mine is tight as a banjo string when it's fully dropped. it actually puts pressure and bends the plug on top of the diff for the locker.

TomRalph

I think it changed in 14, everyone kept posting that they had no problems but they all had 13 and older models. I think the wiring harness might have changed. I have all the slack I can get out of mine before I get to that big connector that splits off in several different ways and with the coilovers mine is tight as a banjo string when it's fully dropped. it actually puts pressure and bends the plug on top of the diff for the locker.

According to Mopar there are 2 wires in that loom... looks like it is time to solder an extension in :) May use some heat gun activated shrink tubing on it was well.

Top Bottom